Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Surgery next tuesday...a few questions  (Read 871 times)

Offline pyrothane

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Surgery next tuesday...a few questions
« on: August 01, 2007, 03:49:36 PM »
Hi all...

I am having an arthroscopy on my right knee next tuesday (finally), and I was just wondering what happens when I get there? All I actually know is that I am due to get there at 10:30am, nothing else...

I know that my experience will of course be different to others, but a rough idea of what to expect would be nice  ;D

Thanks in advance

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Surgery next tuesday...a few questions
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 04:44:01 PM »
Hi Pyrothane,
are you based in the US or somewhere else? I ask because protocols vary between countries. Also, check out the post-op diaries here. The last one I did has a pretty detailed explanation of what happens when you arrive at the outpatient surgery center and so do a lot of other people's diaries.
Terre
RK 7/04 part. m. menisc., plica resect., MF
    3/05 part. m. menisc., open OATS
    1/07 part l. menisc., MF, patellar chondroplasty
    9/08 MF
LK 11/04 & 8/06 part m. menisc.
     7/07 LR, patellar tendon debrid., part m. menisc.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 05:12:08 PM »
Have you been to your pre-op appointment yet? All your questions should be answered at that time. In my experience, they tell you exactly what's going to happen.

This is the way it has always worked for me. They take you to your bed and check all your vitals, (BP, heart rate, etc.). The nurse will ask you a bunch of questions about medical history. They'll stick an IV into you and start giving you meds through there, usually antibiotics. The anesthesiologist will come in and check your heart and lungs, then he'll discuss the anesthesia with you. Your surgeon will come in and see if you have any more questions. They'll write 'YES' on the knee that's having surgery and 'NO' on the one that's not. Then you'll wait around. Right before they wheel you away the anesthesiologist will come in and give you some "I don't care" drugs and maybe some anti-nausea meds. This is usually Verced after which you won't much care what they do to you. Once you get into the OR they'll have you  move to the operating table. There's a flurry of activity in there with doctors, nurses, techs, etc. If you're having general anesthesia they'll put a mask over your face and tell you to take deep breaths. They might crack a few jokes. An instant later you'll be in the recovery room and they'll fussing over you.

Offline spookychick

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 08:00:23 PM »
i am in the habit of asking for a gander at my chart. they often miss that i am allergic to morphine despite a medic alert bracelet and it being in the hospital files ~ otherwise, my ankle surgery went as indicated above.

if you are asked to fast pre-op due to anesthetic, please follow their instructions, retching does not sound like fun post-op.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 01:25:15 AM »
i am in the habit of asking for a gander at my chart. they often miss that i am allergic to morphine despite a medic alert bracelet and it being in the hospital files ~ otherwise, my ankle surgery went as indicated above.

if you are asked to fast pre-op due to anesthetic, please follow their instructions, retching does not sound like fun post-op.

They will always tell you to fast. They don't tell you to fast to keep you from retching. They tell you to fast so food from your stomach doesn't back up into your lungs and kill you.