Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: old injury  (Read 833 times)

Offline spookychick

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
old injury
« on: August 01, 2007, 03:03:38 PM »
hi kneegeeks.

i used to peruse this forum when my injury first happened to acquaint myself with knee injuries. of course i didn't trust that my injury was a bruised tendon - i had a feeling there was something more sinister going on in there. (what it sounds like happened was a torn MCL, but who knows)

I fell off my bike and landed super hard on my right knee. when i attempted to stand, it could bear weight with pain, but would buckle disturbingly if i tried to walk. any locomotion was impossible for two days at least.

it didn't swell much at all, like barely. the attending doctor on the ER said it was a 'bruised tendon' and that 'it will hurt a lot... you will wish you had broken it - broken heals faster'

apparently no surgery can be done. he said i would be limpy for a year perhaps. and he was right. me being pushy and abhoring the idea of loss of mobitilty used physio techniques at home and snowshoeing to rehab. it worked well, i have full mobility (99% of the time) and can jump, run... etc etc.

once in a blue moon though, i get hobbled. the inside of my knee is on fire and any motion beyond 90 degrees is brings about 5-7 on the pain scale. walking is doabble, but pretty limpy. bearing weight doesn't hurt, it is bringing the knee about that hurts. i can't usually think of anything i did to bring this reinjury on either. last night i went fishing and the lake was quite rough near the end. maybe stabilizing myself oddly hurt my knee?

Weightlifting, hiking, aerobics, step aerobics... none of these hurt my knee.

So... my questions are - should i wear a tensor after i do this... whatever it is that i do? Has anyone here had a 'bruised tendon' before? My doctor that happened to be attending that day has worked on my broken ankle and is a great orthopedic surgeon... he states an MRI is not justifiable. my family doctor agrees. i trust their opinion to a certain extent... but have no idea how to avoid this pain. any ideas?

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: old injury
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 05:15:35 PM »
ER doctors are not the best ones to access an injury. If it were me I'd go to an orthopedic surgeon who will order an MRI and find out exactly what's wrong.

Offline spookychick

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 06:20:44 PM »
as i stated - the ER doctor happened to be my OS, ergo, it has been assessed by an OS. He is the one who deemed an MRI not necessary, in stride with my GP.

~ futher ~

it has been about 4 years since the initial injury. are flare-ups like this normally a lifelong problem? Guess i should count myself lucky that i have the health in my knee that i do, yet am curious.

thanks again
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 06:23:57 PM by spookychick »

Offline castlerobber

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 07:01:48 PM »
When you say "inside" of your knee, do you mean "deep within" or "medial side"?  Does "bringing the knee about" =  extension?  How long does the pain last once it starts?
31 May 07 - medial plica excision, lateral meniscus tear removal, patella debridement - RK

Offline spookychick

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 08:14:26 PM »
medial. while walking the pain begins once my heel leaves the ground and is worse at mid-stride. straightening the knee and bearing weight do not hurt.

the pain last a few days. three at most.

with my leg straight, from the anterior, the pain location is one inch down and left of the centre of my patella. it does not appear swollen at all, and no particular temperature change is evident.

the pain seems to radiate slightly down my tibia.

(anyone else experience this or a bruised tendon or ligament?)

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 01:20:55 AM »
as i stated - the ER doctor happened to be my OS, ergo, it has been assessed by an OS. He is the one who deemed an MRI not necessary, in stride with my GP.

~ futher ~

it has been about 4 years since the initial injury. are flare-ups like this normally a lifelong problem? Guess i should count myself lucky that i have the health in my knee that i do, yet am curious.

thanks again

Since you don't have a diagnosis from the first doctor then get another opinion. Even an OS in the ER is just going to make sure you're out of danger and send you home. They will not go out of the way to make a diagnosis unless it's obvious there is a serious injury. There are things like a torn meniscus that will never heal so it's important to get it checked out. After four years it would seem that it's time to see another doctor.