Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: update - went back to my GP  (Read 756 times)

Offline rrg091

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
update - went back to my GP
« on: August 01, 2007, 04:47:33 AM »
Hey everybody, just giving the update.
I saw my GP again yesterday and told him how the pain has gotten worse and spread beyond just my knees. He says he's thinking its not actually a structural thing now though; he thinks its an auto immune disease. He said there's one (i can't remember the name) thats like rheumatoid arthritis but gives a false negative on the blood test. he did some more blood work and will let me know the results. he's also having me set up an appointment with a rheumatologist to get their input on the situation.
meanwhile, though, my mom is still cheering for the good shoes campaign and is convinced the pain is just a combination of bad shoe, bad diet (i come from a long line of health nuts, myself usually included when i'm not on a college student's budget) and stress being manifested into a physical form. She said when doctors pull out "auto immune" it means they really have no idea. I think she just doesn't want it to be auto immune (who can blame her? i would much rather have something some new balance's could fix) but thinking they know whats wrong gives me hope that we're near the fixing/treating point and she's kind of raining on that parade.
But to satisfy both our desires, i'm making my appointment, on thursday we're going shopping for new shoes and a bunch of organic foods, and i told my ex-roommate/source of all my stress what she could do with her complaints. :)
oh, i almost forgot - my doctor also changed my meds to celebrex. someone was just telling me how it could be bad for your heart on here, but he said that while its an NSAID, its also been known to help rheumatoid patients so we're just going to use it for a bit to help my stomach (its easier than piroxicam) and until we get the results of my blood tests. I can't believe how expensive it is though! $100 for one months supply; piroxicam cost my $5 a month. but i guess as long as it helps, its worth the money.
alright well thats all for now - hope everyone out there is having a "good knee day" and i'll let you know what the tests show

rrg
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 04:58:16 AM by rrg091 »

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
Re: update - went back to my GP
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 05:00:34 AM »
Sometimes these doctors get samples to give to people.   I took celebrex and got samples by the handful. I also took bextra which is now off the market.  I changed to generic mobic which is a cox 1  after I had concerns about the heart issues cox2 drugs have.

I weighed short term therapy against long term therapy and what was going to kill my stomach and what was a horse pill. Tried Rx strength motrin & naproxin as well before going to celebrex and Mobic. 

They do make birkenstock arch supports which my foot doctor recommended.

There is a good magazine called arthritis today that has a ton of info on RA treatments. 

Offline rrg091

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: update - went back to my GP
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 04:00:35 AM »
hey thanks for the info on the samples - i'll be sure to remember that! :) i did get some new balance shoes today. my gp said he didn't know if they'd do any good since he's thinking its not actually a structural deal, but we figured they can't hurt.
i've got my appointment with the rheumatologist tomorrow morning so i'll let you all know what he says - then i've got plans to hang out with some friends, forget all this stress and just have a good time! :D

talk to you all later!
rrg