Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: I had Carticel surgery on 07-20-07  (Read 22503 times)

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: I had Carticel surgery on 07-20-07
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2008, 01:45:54 AM »
Congrats on being able to jog!!  Please keep posting as you continue to do impact type activities on your knee. 
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline kevinnjaime

• Regular Poster
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2008, 10:01:02 PM »
Hi everyone,
Just a short update I have been jogging for 2 weeks now and it has gotten to the point where it doesn't even hurt at all.  I now jog at 4.8 mph for 7 minutes on the treadmill and I fell that I could go for more but my PT doesn't want to push it to soon.  She said maybe next week.  But everything has been great with no pain and it actually feels like its getting better again.  It seemed that I had hit a wall in the recovery and I thought that it wasn't going to get any better and I was okay with that since it felt better than it did before the surgery but this is great and I hope that it continues to get even better.  Talk to everyone later.

Kevin
05-07 Meniscus tear cut out
07-07 Carticel implantation femoral condyle on left knee
03-09 Reinjured same knee during a car accident

Offline Peg Leg

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2008, 01:59:34 AM »
Kevin,

That's such good news!  I am so happy things are going well with you and your recovery; keep up the good work! :)

Peg
10/06  Miicrofracture Rt knee on mfc
defect was 1.3x2, small defect under patella
04/07 Arthroscopy/Cell harvest for Carticel
06/28/07 Carticel surgery ,Rt. Knee
12/27/07  Scope to debride Patella lesion,Rt. Knee
4/17/08  Fulkerson AMZ, Rt. Knee
6/25/09 ConforMis BiCompartmental Knee Replacement

Offline kevinnjaime

• Regular Poster
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2008, 04:24:48 PM »
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to update everyone.  I just got home from therapy and the PT said that she thinks that this may be my last week that I have to be there. ;D :o ;) :D  She said that I can't really do anymore there and that I could take over by going to the gym to continue my recovery.  I go see my OS on Friday and I will talk with him and see what he says.  Well got to go, good luck to everyone.

Kevin

Offline kevinnjaime

• Regular Poster
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2008, 07:32:22 PM »
Hey everyone,

Had my appt. with my OS yesterday and he has released me to go back to work with no restrictions.  This was great news because I wasn't expecting to go back until April.  He said that I have progressed enough to return back to work and not to worry that the patch would be fine.  It has been a long time waiting for this day and I can't believe that it is here.  I have to do soo much because I wasn't expecting it to be soo soon.  Well gotta go, talk to everyone later.

Kevin

Offline Peg Leg

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2008, 08:16:40 PM »
Kevin,

That is THE BEST news I have heard in a while!!  I am so happy and excited for you.  Your success really gives us all hope for a similar outcome.  Those bad guys better look out, Here comes Officer Kevin!!!  Don't go and forget all about us now, please keep us posted !! 

All the Best, Kevin!!  Peg Leg
10/06  Miicrofracture Rt knee on mfc
defect was 1.3x2, small defect under patella
04/07 Arthroscopy/Cell harvest for Carticel
06/28/07 Carticel surgery ,Rt. Knee
12/27/07  Scope to debride Patella lesion,Rt. Knee
4/17/08  Fulkerson AMZ, Rt. Knee
6/25/09 ConforMis BiCompartmental Knee Replacement

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2008, 11:14:07 PM »
Kevin,
So glad to hear that you have been released to return to work and that you have NO restrictions!  Please continue to keep us updated as you continue jogging and working your knee out.  Your story has been encouraging to me and gives me hope that my ACI is going to be a success!!
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline kevinnjaime

• Regular Poster
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2008, 03:45:08 AM »
Hey everyone,
I know that it has been a long time since I have posted but I have been very busy with work there is a lot of updates I've had to take care of.  My knee has been sore at the end of my shifts but I quess that would be normal after being out of work for 9 1/2 months.  I do work a long shift and with getting in and out of a car numerous times throughout a shift I can accept that it would get sore.  I go see the OS on Wednesday and I'm going to ask him about the soreness and see what he has to say about it.  I am hoping that he isn't going to say that I have to go out of work again.  I am actually happy to be back at work.  I was going stir crazy at home.  There is only soo much Nintendo Wii someone can play before he gets bored with it.  I hope that everyone is doing well and I will try to post more often.

Kevin

Offline believev

• Regular Poster
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2008, 03:51:58 PM »
hey kevin, just wondering how you're making out.  i am in a boat where i may need this procedure, it was good to see positive results.

do you mind if i contact you directly to ask you a few questinos?

thanks would really appreciate it.

paul

Offline kevinnjaime

• Regular Poster
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2008, 06:05:09 AM »
Hi everyone,

It has been one full year since my ACI surgery and I have to say that it has been a pleasant experience.  I am back to work five months now and I do still have some pain mostly when I get up after sleeping.  I mentioned this to my OS and he didn't seem all that worried, in fact he didn't say anything.  I have also developed a problem with my knee, if I stand for long periods of time with my weight on the left leg when I go to move it sometimes it wants to give out on me.  I am able to catch myself but I also mentioned it to my OS and again he didn't say anything?!?!  I am wondering if it could be that I have stopped going to the gym, I am too busy but I think that Im going to start again soon and see if that helps.  I have also lost about fifteen pounds from when I first got the surgery to try to help my knee out.  But for the most part I am very happy that I had the surgery done because my worst day today is not even near my worst day before the surgery.  Before the surgery I was in pain everyday and now like I said above its mostly in the morning and also after working a little too hard.  Good luck to anyone that is scheduled for ACI surgery and stay strong if you have already had it done.  There is a light at the end of the tunnel.  Things to get better trust me.

Kevin

Offline SamB

• Regular Poster
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2008, 07:25:11 PM »
Hi Kevin,
I'm at 5 weeks today - I can't wait to be able to start running and being active again! :)  Hearing from someone who has had good results is very encouraging.  Keep up the good work, and let us know how it goes.

Sam
11/20/2007 - Removal of loose bodies, debridement, Left knee
4/15/2008 - Cartilage biopsy for ACI
6/17/2008 - Left knee ACI

Offline mike 30

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2008, 04:49:41 PM »
Hello  ,

i am having the carticel surgery this weds oct 22 2008. Can you tell me the does and donts after the sugeryand how longthe surgery takes? I am not haviing it don in a hospital i am having it in a surgical building not a hospital. I am a 29yrd male. Am in construction as a plumber this is being done under workerscomp and boy i van tell you that it has been an up hill battle >:(. I have had 2 other surgerys from 2002 to present not incuding the set up serg for this one. The first doc who did the surgerys fixed it but 7 years later it fragmented again and he went in and just removed debri he sais if it hurts any more we wil go back inand put in a cadava . I was like nooooo. So i went to a nother doc and he recomended this one. ive have been in pain since feb o8 had the 2nd surgery dec07 and thought its was fixed then one day i stood up from my comp chair and my leg was stiff could not walk for a week. missed tones of work. was able to go back with a huge limp and pain nowi wait for the srg thank god it now cause i cant offerd to collect 2k a month when i am used to 5 k a month. Any if all advice will help

thankyou
                                 Mike

Offline bryanradtke

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2008, 05:08:55 PM »
Mike 30 -
I haven't read through this whole thread and find this ad-laden site kind of annoying, but I though I would provide you with a recent experience.  I just had my carticel procedure done on 10/16/2008.  I did everything I could to prepare before hand... I was a freak about it.  I have to rely on my wife and we have two small children, so I wanted to make her part as manageable as possible. 

My procedure lasted a little over 2 hours.  I got into the hospital at 5:45AM and we ended up leaving at 5:00PM.  The operation left me in great deal of pain.  I believe that the size of the treatment area was about the size of a half-dollar and required sewing the new cartilage in place.  My first attempt to leave the hospital failed, and they had to give me a more potent pain killer. 

It has been 4 days since the surgery, and the pain has gotten better each day.  We now have a system in place that has worked out well so far.  Here are some of my recommendations:

1) Don't underestimate the pain you will be in.  Get people lined up to help you.  My wife still has to help me get dressed.
2) If you are using a CPM device, get on it Day 1.  Once you get going it doesn't hurt that bad and it helps with the pain.  The more stiff the knee = the more pain.
3) Get all of your stuff on the same floor.  I have a multi-floor house, so right now, i have a matress, end-table, fridge and entertainment center all in one room.
4) Buy Accessories.  Purchase a shower seat and a raised toilet seat.  it helps. 

I had some trouble finding some real life experiences prior to getting this done, so I decided to blog about it.  If you want to follow along, you can check out my blog at blog.pastorskid.com

Good luck!
Bryan

Offline mike 30

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2008, 12:02:39 AM »
thankyou brian i will keep you up2 date on what happens to me If you want you can reach me at [email protected] mabey we can tell each other what happens from hear on

Offline kevinnjaime

• Regular Poster
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2009, 03:22:43 AM »
Hey all,

Just wanted to update my post.  On 3/1/09 I was involved in a car accident and I reijured my left knee.  I have been doing PT for 3 1/2 months and it hasn't worked.  Now I have to get the knee scoped and one month later im going to have my shoulder scoped which was also injured from the accident.  I will keep posting to update.

Kevin

support