Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: I had Carticel surgery on 07-20-07  (Read 22502 times)

Offline Peg Leg

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: I had Carticel surgery on 07-20-07
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2007, 02:20:28 AM »
Hi Kevin,
I was thinking about you and wondering how you are doing?  I am still trying to figure out which brace is the best for me.  Are you still using your brace and if so, is it still helping?  My PT has been taping my knee this week and it has helped as much as the unloading brace, so we are thinking of trying a patella femoral brace which will keep my kneecap in place.  Any news on when you might be able to return to work?  Hang in there!

Peg Leg
10/06  Miicrofracture Rt knee on mfc
defect was 1.3x2, small defect under patella
04/07 Arthroscopy/Cell harvest for Carticel
06/28/07 Carticel surgery ,Rt. Knee
12/27/07  Scope to debride Patella lesion,Rt. Knee
4/17/08  Fulkerson AMZ, Rt. Knee
6/25/09 ConforMis BiCompartmental Knee Replacement

Offline kevinnjaime

• Regular Poster
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2007, 05:49:52 PM »
Hi everyone,

Sorry I haven't posted for a while I have been busy.  It is now been 3 months since my surgery and I saw the OS on Friday.  He is very impressed with my progress and has also told me that I might be able to return back to work in 6 months instead of 9 months that he orginally told me.  With PT my ROM is up to 143 degrees while streching and 120 degrees on my own.  I am currently in phase 3 of the PT and going strong.  Everyday my leg is getting stronger and I am able to walk a little bit further everyday which is a good thing because I am about to go on vacation in Europe and there will be a lot of walking at each port that the cruise ship docks at (I cant wait).  But otherwise I have no complaints and I would say that I have less pain in my knee than I had before the surgery and I would consider that a sucess.  The only thing that I still have to regain is my strength and mobility.  I am very happy that I had this surgery and I am anxious to see how much better everything becomes.  Well good luck to all and I'll check in later.

Kevin
05-07 Meniscus tear cut out
07-07 Carticel implantation femoral condyle on left knee
03-09 Reinjured same knee during a car accident

Offline Peg Leg

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2007, 02:11:29 AM »
Hey Kevin,

How was Europe?!!!!  How is your leg doing? What are you doing activity wise?   Need to have an update from you!!

Peg Leg

Offline kevinnjaime

• Regular Poster
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2007, 08:10:26 PM »
Hey everyone,

Sorry it has been sooooooo long since I have been on to post but I have been very busy with my vacation and the holidays.  It has been five months since my surgery and Im doing great.  My vacation to Europe was great and my wife and I had an absoutly wonderful time eventhough there was a horrible storm in the medditerian while we were there (made for a very rough boat ride everynight).  We had great weather everyday it only rained for about a half an hour on the fifth day.  It was worth every penny spent.  I recently had an appointment with my OS and he is very pleased with my progress and he has said that the protocal has been updated.  He said that high impact sports are now allowed at 9 months for people with small defects like me.  Thank god that means that I can go back to work sooner than I orginally though.  My knee is doing very well and it seems as though that I could go back to work now but as the OS said I will feel better before the patch is completly healed.  Activity wise Im not doing much at all just doing the excersises that the PT wants me to do.  Over the past two months it doesn't seem that my knee has been getting any better in the side to side strength.  Im just going stir crazy being stuck at home and not being able to do anything around the house.  I hope that everyone has a great holiday and a happy new year.

Kevin

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2008, 03:45:33 AM »
Kevin,
Glad to hear that you are doing well and that your trip was nice.  Thanks for the info about the updated protocol.  My OS said that my defect was moderately sized (2 cm X 2cm).  I will have to ask if I can return to high impact stuff at 9 months.  That would be great!  I will be 8 months post-op when I get married this summer and am hoping to be able to do some light hiking on my honeymoon.  I was wondering how much swelling you had in your knee (if any) at five months out.  Also, did you have any trouble walking around Europe?  Are you still in PT or are you doing it on your own now?  Glad to hear that you are doing so well.

LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline kevinnjaime

• Regular Poster
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2008, 05:25:45 AM »
Hey Casey I dont really have any swelling that is noticable at this point.  While I was in Europe walking wasnt all that bad my knee was sore at the end of the night and motrin was helpfull but it wasnt intollerable.  And yes I am still in PT.  I tried to have my workmens comp rep allow me to do all of my excersises at the gym but they want me to still be monitered.  I dont know why.  I guess they like to waste money?  I would think that on your honeymoon you should be able to do some light hiking but good luck.

Kevin

Offline kathat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2008, 12:19:39 PM »
Hi, while you are on the topic of defect size I thought I'd jump in and ask if any of you know the average patella size. My defects cover a third of each patella, including the major weight bearing thick cartilage ridge down the centre. I am trying to work out the rough size of the defects so I have an idea of whether they are considered large or medium. I also have a defect on my right MFC, but I have no idea about size or exact location, but I think it's not so big as the patellar ones.

I thought it was time to check out your thread, Kevin, seeing as you have been such a help on mine. Reading what your occupation is was a help too. I am trying to work out how long I will need off work. I am a nurse. I cope at the moment because I do night shift on a ward where there is very little manual handling and only short bouts of activity. I requested a move because I wasn't coping where I was, though I didn't phrase it quite that way!! I was lucky that a position came up on the quietist ward in the centre, as my LR surgery bumped off what was left of my quads! I was very lucky to be released back to work by my OS.

Good luck returning to work, and in overcoming the boredoom in the meantime!

Kathy

jonhark

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2008, 03:37:21 PM »
A defect 1/3 the size of the patella is pretty significant--probably anywhere from 4-6CM.

At the time of my microfracture on 1/07 my defect was the size of my finger nail on my middle finger 1.5X1.0CM.

At the time of my ACI seven months later it had grown to the size of my thumbnail 2.5X1.5CM.

2CM is borderline whether or not it requires ACI. My OS recommend a Trufit Plug as he didn't think the size warranted ACI.

Generally speaking, the larger the defect size the less predictable your results will be. That being said, I've heard of excellent results for those with defects up to 10CM

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2008, 12:15:30 AM »
Hi kevin,
Thanks for the info as to how you are doing.  I am encouraged that you were able to walk around europe at 5 months out and that the pain was tolerable.  I hope that you are able to find something to entertain yourself until you are able to return to work.  I have only been off of work for 10 weeks and I am going stir crazy, so I can't imagine how you must feel.  Hang in there!
LOA on left knee 3/18/07

Offline kevinnjaime

• Regular Poster
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2008, 11:13:31 PM »
Hey everyone,

I went to my OS for my 6 month visit and he is very pleased with my progress and he said that he is expecting to send me back to work in late April.  I couldn't be more happy, it has been 9 months since I have worked and oddly enough I'm missing it.  My OS said that he wanted me to begin to jog and start doing more higher impact activities.  I'm a little worried about the jogging since I haven't done it for so long.  I guess I'll see how it is on Monday when I go back to PT.  O well progress is always a good thing right.

Kevin

Offline Peg Leg

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2008, 12:48:09 AM »
Kevin,

I am so happy to hear of your good news!!  It must be a great feeling to have a date you can look forward to for returning to work.  All of your hard work is paying off for you; let us know how it feels to jog!  That is a completely foreign idea to me right now, but maybe I can enjoy it through your experience!!

Peg Leg

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2008, 03:09:27 AM »
Kevin,
Congrats on the good report from the OS!  I too would like to know how the jogging goes for you.  It must feel great to know that you can now start to do higher impact things.  Glad to hear that you will get to return to work relatively soon.  I understand the boredom.  I just went back to work this week and I couldn't be happier to have something to do with my time.     
LOA on left knee 3/18/07

Offline kathat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2008, 03:20:10 AM »
Congratulations on the good news Kevin! I hope the improvement continues and that you get back to work right on schedule. Good luck with the running!

Kathy

Offline kevinnjaime

• Regular Poster
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2008, 08:01:41 PM »
Hey,
Just wanted to let everyone know that I jogged today for the first time in at least 9 months.  It wasn't very fast just 4.5 mph on the treadmill but it felt good, like all of the pain and suffering that I have gone through was worth it and I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel.  It was a little sore as I started to jog but it went away and I realized how out of shape I am :'(.  My PT has added a couple of things to my workout to add some impact to my knee which have felt good.  I now spend about two hours in therapy three days a week but I guess it could be worse.  Good luck to everyone and I hope everyone is doing well.

Kevin

Offline David3

• Regular Poster
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2008, 11:28:57 PM »
Fabulous news Kevin. This is what every ACI patient wants to hear! Congratulations!

My ACI surgery was just 4 days later than yours. At not quite 6 months, I'm still nowhere near even considering jogging. My knee is starting to feel reasonable when walking, cycling and going up stairs, but still feels a bit weak, as though I have quite a way still to go. However, it's improving all the time now. Also, I have multiple large lesions and am a fair bit older than you, so must expect a long recovery. My hope has always been to be feeling pain-free and reasonable at 12 months, and be doing some highly intensive sport (but probably not impact) at 24 months. I'm beginning to feel that I'm on track.

Enjoy your jogging (don't overdo it too early)!

David
2006: Left Knee (LK) microfracture (MFC, LFC, Trochlear), failed at 6 months
7/07: ACI/TTO of LK (MFC, LFC, trochlea, patella)
2014: Considering ACI treatment on RK.