Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: I had Carticel surgery on 07-20-07  (Read 22501 times)

Offline kevinnjaime

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
I had Carticel surgery on 07-20-07
« on: August 01, 2007, 01:14:55 AM »
I had Carticel surgery on July 20, 2007 and I am 11 days post op and I am feeling pretty good.  I have quite a bit of swelling around my knee.  I also had my first appointment with the physcial therpist today but it was just the evaluation!?!?  I have my first actual therpy appointment tomorrow.  I'm hoping that it wont make me too sore.  I was just bored and figured that I would post this.  I was also wondering if anyone is dealing with workmens compensation?  I have been having a heck of a time dealing with them and also having to deal with the field nurse.  Anyone having any of the same problems?

Thanks,
Kevin
05-07 Meniscus tear cut out
07-07 Carticel implantation femoral condyle on left knee
03-09 Reinjured same knee during a car accident

Offline Peg Leg

• Forum Faithful
Re: I had Carticel surgery on 07-20-07
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 02:31:46 AM »
Hi Kevin,

Glad you found us!  I am almost 5 weeks from my surgery and I have a lot of swelling, too.  There is not a lot that can be done in therapy this soon, so you will not be too sore.  Have you been in a CPM machine?  How did you hurt yourself? What part of your knee did you have Carticel on?  Keep us posted!

Peg Leg
10/06  Miicrofracture Rt knee on mfc
defect was 1.3x2, small defect under patella
04/07 Arthroscopy/Cell harvest for Carticel
06/28/07 Carticel surgery ,Rt. Knee
12/27/07  Scope to debride Patella lesion,Rt. Knee
4/17/08  Fulkerson AMZ, Rt. Knee
6/25/09 ConforMis BiCompartmental Knee Replacement

Offline kevinnjaime

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 07:32:07 PM »
Yes I have been in a CPM machine since the surgery but only going 0-40.  When I went to therapy today he said that I'm doing well.  They had me start with toe touches and he put me on the electronic stimulation on my quad.  I asked the therapist if he had ever had a patient with carticel precedure before and he stated "no".  This makes me feel a little uneasy?!?!?!?  He told me that he has been in contact with my surgion which makes me feel a little bit better.  But I'm still worried.  I did give him the protocal that needs to be followed and he seems to be following it closely.

I am a police officer and last year I was chasing after a suspect down the train tracks and when I attempted to cross over the tracks my foot got caught and I landed with all of my weight on my left knee.  At that time I went through workmens comp. and they sent me to therapy for three weeks and then sent me back to work without a MRI or even a second x-ray. They said that it was a bad bone bruise.  I continued to work for approxiametly eight months and the pain never went away.  I then went to my family doctor and he told me to go through workmens comp since it would still be considered the same injury.  I called and got an appointment and finally got my MRI and I was found to have a torn miniscous.  That was repaired on 05-03-07 and while the surgion was performing that surgery he found that I had a 1 square centimeter section cartilage missing.  He then decided to take the sample and send it to the lab.

Offline kevinnjaime

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 02:47:02 AM »
I figured that I would update everyone.  I am now at 3 weeks post-op and I'm allowed to put 20-30 lbs on my leg and next week I'm told that I can increase it up to 60lbs (1/4 of body weight).  The swelling is still there and I'm still using the cryo-cuff to attept to control it.  Therapy is going great I can feel a huge difference.  I had to go to the OS because I began to have unbeliveable pain in my big toe on my leg that was operated on.  I ended up having gout which is crystals that form in the joint.  I guess its just one more thing that I have to deal with.  I go see the OS again on 08-28 and I'm hopefully losing the brace and two weeks after that I hope to lose the crutches. 

Offline kevinnjaime

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 08:23:33 PM »
I go see the OS on 08-28-07 and it is my 6 week post-op visit and I am hoping that I can lose the brace.  My PT says that I am progressing very well and I am right in line with the protocall.  My quad strength is improving everyday and I am looking foward to when I can walk like a normal human being again!  I'll wright back after my visit on Tuesday.

Kevin

Offline Peg Leg

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 01:27:20 AM »
Hey Kevin!

Glad to hear that things are going well for you!  I am at 8 weeks and I lost my brace at 6 weeks and it felt heavenly!  I am down to one crutch at home, but my quads are so weak, I am not able to go without any just yet.  We will try again on Tuesday at Therapy, but I am not very positive it will happen.  Take my own advice and be patient!

Peg Leg

Offline djs60

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 02:31:16 PM »
Kevin,

In my case, I recall that I was staring to wonder when I'd be able to walk without a limp, and then around 9 or 10 weeks, that suddenly got better (although I think I really went from a pretty pronounced limp to a very slight one, which I still have).  I'm now at 16 weeks, and still have significant atrophy of the quad on the operated leg compared to my good leg.  It's really amazing how quickly the muscle goes away, and how slow it is to come back.  My PT measured my quad yest, and the difference had actually increased, although she said that my good leg had gained an inch, and my bad one a half inch, thus increasing the difference.

djs
3/06 left knee arthroscopy - grade IV lateral trochlea defect
chondroplasy & removal of loose bodies
1/07 left knee arthroscopy/cartilage biopsy
4/27/07 left knee trochlea & patella ACI with TTO

Offline kevinnjaime

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 09:40:35 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  Hey pegleg did your OS take you off of the CPM at 6 weeks also?  My quad strength is actually doing very well but I still have a lot of swelling on my left knee.  The PT has been able to stretch me to 115 degrees.  I know I just have to be patient but thats not my style.  I know its only been 5 weeks but I am impatient!?!?!?!?!?!?!? >:(  I have just about gone crazy being stuck in my house and also on that CPM >:(  There is only so much that a person can watch on TV and surf the internet.  I know that Im not supposed to drive but its is my left leg that was operated on so since I have a full size truck I can fit in there with my brace on, so I have been driving myself to PT.  I guess it could be worse it could have been my right leg.  Well good luck to everyone for another week of Physcial Therapy :o

Kevin

Offline Peg Leg

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 01:11:32 AM »
Hey Kevin,

Here's a question for Police Officer Kevin.  How would you feel if you were called to the scene of an accident and you saw one of the driver's involved get out of his car on crutches and wearing a big 'ol brace on his leg?  Would that change the way you handled the investigation of the accident?!!  Just curious!!!  ;D As far as the CPM goes, my insurance would not pay for it, so I had to; after 12 days, I was up to 90 degrees, so my Doc said I could send it back.  I  was more than happy to!!

Offline kevinnjaime

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 08:18:00 PM »
The crutches is not an uncommon sight on a accident scene.  It happens more than you would think.  I have had a woman that was one day post op from major back surgery if you can believe that!  I am keeping my fingers crossed that the OS tells me that I can get rid of this horrible machine.  Wish me luck?!?!?!?

Offline kevinnjaime

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 05:00:44 PM »
Went to the OS yesterday and he had me get rid of the brace and reduced my CPM hours down to 2 hours.  He also said he wanted me to be rid of the crutches within 2 weeks!!!!! :o(a nice birthday gift)  When I went to therapy today they increased the weight and added a couple new exercises.  He said that I am progressing well and he is pleased.  My swelling seems to have gone down and my pain level has slightly gone up since but it is still tollerable.  Gotta go and I just wanted to update everyone.

Kevin 

Offline kevinnjaime

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2007, 03:34:47 PM »
I just got my new knee brace and it is great it supports and puts pressure on the inside of my knee and allows me to put more weight on that leg with less pain!!! :o  I have been able to walk without the crutches around the house.  If I go out anywhere I still bring one crutch to be safe but everyday it gets better and better.  I think that I will be able to get rid of the crutch within one to two weeks. ;D  Just wanted to share my joy.

Kevin

Offline Peg Leg

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2007, 02:42:34 AM »
Hi Kevin,

How is that knee brace working for you?  Are you still using the crutch? I have not heard from you in a while and was wondering how everything is going with you!!  Let us know.

Peg Leg

Offline kevinnjaime

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2007, 06:52:54 PM »
Hey Peg Leg,

Yes Im still using the leg brace, its the best thing.  Finally Im off of the crutches as of last week.  I still cant walk far distances but I can walk around the block about two times. ;D  I go back to see the doctor on 09-28.  The PT is very pleased with my progress and has moved me up to phase 2 in all of my excersises.  Sorry that I haven't been updating everyone but I have been busy.  Alot has been happening since I can now walk and drive!!!!!  I have been able to get out of the house "thank goodness".  Everything seems to be going very well.  Ill update everyone after my visit to my OS.

Kevin

Offline kevinnjaime

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 08:24:41 PM »
Hey everyone its time for an update.  I went to my OS today and he is very pleased with my progress.  He stated that I should just keep following the protocal and don't rush it.  My PT wanted me to ask the OS if I could start jogging and he stated no.  But otherwise I'm doing really good I couldn't ask to feel better than I am now.  I just wish that I could return to work (I'm soooo bored)  I guess I just have to take it easy and hope for the best in my return to work and hope that it will be the minimum that I have to be out.  Good luck to everyone that is going in for surgery and everyone that is waiting for the approval.

Kevin