Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Any help would be appreciated  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Boffy01

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Any help would be appreciated
« on: July 31, 2007, 01:35:55 PM »
2 years ago I had a problem with my heel & ankle whilst walking & weight bearing. I had stabbing pains in the heel & the ankle was very sore and felt like something was being pulled inside and up my leg.
Then whilst simply walking up a flight of stairs my knee gave way. At first I thought I'd pulled a muscle but later my knee swelled & was extremley painful. Also my leg wouldn't straighten. My Doctor refered me to the Orthopedic surgeon who said I needed surgery. They took me in 3 weeks later & I had my first surgery. After which the surgeon said my knee was a mess inside & he's had a tidy up of cartilidges etc.
When my knee still felt the same after 3 months I went back for an MRI scan which showed that there was a tear in my Menicus so I was then put back on the operation list. After this op I was told that they had cut some of the Menicus away & that I should make a full recovery.
Almost a year on from this and my knee still swells up, wont straighten & I found a lump at the back of my knee so I went back to see the surgeon again. He is now saying that I need a third op and this time they might graph it.
Obliviously I am a little concerned and wondered if anyone on here has had a similar experience?
Is it possible that my Heel & ankle problem could have something to do with my knee problem? I had an x-ray because my Doctor thought it could be a spur but nothing showed up & the surgeons don't seem to want to do anything about it?
Also does anyone know what graphing involves?

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Any help would be appreciated
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 05:26:00 PM »
If you still have same surgeon maybe you should consider a second opinion as he haven't been able to solve your problems before doing another surgery ?
Getting surgery after surgery in such short time isn't good for the knee.
Maybe also have someone like a phys looking at you how you walk.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Boffy01

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 05:55:27 PM »
Thanks for the advice & I take on board what you are saying.
However I have tried to seek a second opinion but the secretary never returned my calls & she never answers her phone! I also spoke to my Doctor about it & she didn't seem happy to refer me to someone else as I think she was hoping that I would avoid more surgery.
Now that I am facing more surgery I would really like to speak to someone who will listen, look into things explain things to me but at the same time I don't want to upset my current surgeon. Walking on egg shells springs to mind!  ::)
I've also had Physio & Hydro no one has indicated that anything is wrong with the way that I walk. As far as I'm aware I was fit & healthy until this problem occurred.

Gary064

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 06:01:43 PM »
Hi Boffy,
           I had exactly the same problem as you with my foot and ankle. I used to get severe stabbing pain especially when i first got up in the morning or when i sat on the sofa for a while, my achilles tendon was also very painful when walking. This went on for months until i found out from my Doctor it was due to pressure because i am overweight. After a course of antiflammatories it all cleared up and has never come back since. Also massaging the foot and ankle helps.

Hope this helps you

Gary

Offline Boffy01

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 06:06:53 PM »
Thanks Gary Although it does sound similar I'm under 10 stone so I don't think weight is the issue & I have been on antiflammatories for months now & I still suffer from the problem.
Please don't think I'm dismissing any of your ideas!

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 06:43:10 PM »
A ongoing kneeproblem can make the rest of the leg troublesome.
Your surgeon should be concerned that you want another opinion and help you get one. Should be in her own interest to help you so you feel confident with her.
I wouldn't rush into more surgery before getting second opinion and also good explanation of the problem.
More surgery can aggravate the knee.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 08:45:31 PM »
Okay, well, I'm still not sure what your initial diagnosis was and why they did surgery to begin with. Near as I can tell you tore your meniscus after the first surgery or they should have fixed it while they were in there. Now they're wanting to do surgery again. Nowhere in any of your messages is it clear that you actually know what's wrong with your knee and why they're doing surgery. You really need to talk to your surgeon and find out what exactly is wrong with your knee, what they're wanting to do and why. It seems like you don't have a clear understanding of what's going on and you really need to get a definitive diagnosis before just letting them do surgery.

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 12:55:35 AM »
Hi Boffy01,
I agree with Jathib and Nettan. You shouldn't just be letting your OS operate without a clear understanding of what he/she is doing and why. First off, I'd suggest going to the kneeguru's homepage and educating yourself about knee anatomy. Then, when you see your OS again, take a written list of the questions you'd like answered and keep asking for explanations til you're satisfied you know what's going on. It's your body and you have to live in it. You have every right to question your OS about what he/she wants to do to it. If you feel like your OS doesn't want to help you understand, then you should look elsewhere for someone who will. Some of the questions you may want to ask are:
What exactly is wrong with my knee?
Why do you recommend this procedure?
How often have you performed it?
Does it need to be done immediately?
What would be the consequences of putting it off?
Are there any other options, surgical or nonsurgical?
What is the success rate of the procedure you're recommending?
What are the risks?
What will my recovery be like?
If the procedure is not successful, what is the next step?
That's all I can think of at the moment. Hope this helps. Good luck at your next appointment.
Terre
RK 7/04 part. m. menisc., plica resect., MF
    3/05 part. m. menisc., open OATS
    1/07 part l. menisc., MF, patellar chondroplasty
    9/08 MF
LK 11/04 & 8/06 part m. menisc.
     7/07 LR, patellar tendon debrid., part m. menisc.

Offline Boffy01

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 03:05:33 PM »

You are right! It's always been so rushed when I have seen them with little or no time to explain things or ask questions.
The 1st surgery they went in blind and said that my knee was a mess & they had trimmed away some cartilage.
Then they did the MRI which showed a tear in the Mencius which another surgeon operated on and hoped he had sorted the problem.
When I last saw him as soon as he saw the lump at the back of my knee (which he said was fluid due to swelling) he said we'll have to take you back in again and we might have to graft it this time.

What I don't understand is if they fixed the tear in the Mencius during the last op why has it got another tear now?
I have been taking it easy & haven't knocked my knee or anything.
Could it be down to the fact that my leg wont straighten? and as a result something is catching inside my knee?

I would love to get a second opinion, but before I had the second op I asked my doctor about it & they phoned the surgeon. I don't know what was said between them but the surgeon was very offish with me when I next saw him.
The last thing I want to do is to upset the surgeon before they operate so I now feel like I'm caught between a rock and a hard place.

Your list of questions are a big help though & I will ask them before the op.
thank you!

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 05:02:09 PM »
It's very easy to tear a meniscus once you've torn one the first time. I tore mine three times without much difficulty.

The lump on the back of your knee is probably a Baker's Cyst. It's a symptom that something is wrong in your knee but not really anything to worry about. They certainly don't do some sort of graft to fix them. Get a second, third, fourth opinion. You clearly don't have a good idea of what's even wrong. Having a doctor say we're going to "graft it" is just not acceptable. You need to find out what he's talking about.

You don't need to worry about upsetting the surgeon. There's no law that says you even have to go back to the same surgeon. No matter what you do, you need to get answers before letting any of them open you up again.

Offline Boffy01

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 04:33:51 PM »
Many thanks for the advice.
I have done some research today & I think my problem is ACL hence why the surgeon talked about grafting.
I will be drafting a list of questions which I plan to put to him ASAP in the hope that things become clearer before any surgery is done.

Thanks again to all.