Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 6 weeks in full extension cast  (Read 3536 times)

Offline kerrianne

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
6 weeks in full extension cast
« on: July 31, 2007, 11:55:41 AM »
hi ! i ruptured my patella tendon nearly  weeks ago, this thursday 2nd aug, my cast comes off.
can anyone offer any advice as to what to expect and feel? im nervous as my knee has been straight for 6 wks.
does anyone know "whats next" ??
im soooo desperate for a bath also...something else to figure out!!

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: 6 weeks in full extension cast
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 01:38:22 PM »
your leg is gonna feel weak and sore.
did you have a surgery to repair the ruptured tendon?
you have some work ahead of you to get your ROM back, and youll be needing to strengthen up those quads after theyve been lax for 6 weeks.

you can expect your leg to look wasted, and after being in a cast itll probably feel like its sort of not part of you - difficult to explain but you'll understand when the cast comes off....

dont worry too much though - im sure itll be fine in time. plenty of physio.
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 01:41:44 PM »
It's also going to smell pretty bad. Have some Wash & Drys handy.

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 03:52:54 PM »
oh yeah - i forgot how smelly and hairy mine was :)

there was a bizarre perceptional shift for me - before i got the cast off my left leg looked small and weak in comparison to my cast on the right. then the cast came off and suddenly my left leg looked all big and strong compared to my chickeny smelly hairy right leg :)
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline soozles

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
    • PCL recovery blog
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 04:35:58 PM »
I never had a cast on my leg, but when I broke my wrist and the cast came off, whoo boy it was smelly. It also felt kind of like pins and needles because I hadn't used it in so long. Actually, I remember my cast getting smelly towards the end anyway, and I would try to spray apple body spray into it (I was 11!) and I think it just made it smell worse. And it looks so pasty and thin, nasty stuff.
May 2005: Torn PCL, misdiagnosed as chondromalacia
April 2010: pain worse, lots of instability
Nov. 23, 2010: PCL reconstruction
progress here: http://pclrecovery.blogspot.com/

Offline kerrianne

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 05:59:32 PM »
hello, yes i had surgery to repair it. i had my cast changed after 2 weeks and it looked pretty gross then so dreading it on thursday! and the dreaded hair, which is coming straight off!
i hope it doesnt smell too bad but a least im prepared for it! thanks guys!
ill post more after appointment on thurs. x

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 01:46:02 PM »
hi kerriane,
will be looking forward to hearing how you get on!! to be honest, immediately when the cast comes off its like 'uuuurrrgggggg....' - but once youve washed your leg and shaved it :) and the air has been at it a while itll look much more human!!!
dont be shocked by the muscle wastage - its 6 weeks, thats a long time for muscles not to be used, but you will easily build them again.
you can expect to miss your cast too - i missed the support of mine!!
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline kerrianne

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 04:55:45 PM »
hi! ok so the cast came off, as predicted....hairy smelly and skinny. im now in a brace, i can take some weight on it whilst wearing it, so ive been shuffling around this afternoon and its not too bad.
 i managed to have a bath, with help and it felt sooooooo good!
 as you say tan, with a wash and some air it already looks slightly better!

i have my 1st physio tom, so ill let u know what happens next....

thanks for all the support, its really needed and im so grateful xx

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 06:36:21 PM »
hey kerrianne,
allow me to welcome your leg back to the world!!

thats great you managed a bath!!

and even better youve your first physio tomorrow, best to get started early, before you get used to your leg not doing much out of its cast.

hope you get a great nights sleep tonight, itll be great for you not having the cast in bed, stuff some cushions round your leg in the bed, stop you bumping into it with the other one.

good luck with physio tomorrow!
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline kerrianne

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 03:17:06 PM »
Tanyap!
thanks so much for your kind words!
ok, so today i had the 1st physio. i wasnt pushed too hard, came away with various exercises.
i did have a good cry whilst there, because i injured myself falling down stairs i have developed a major fear/phobia!
my physio helped me again to get one leg (good leg) up a step whilst balancing on crutches and applying a liitle weight to bad leg. i did it but wobbled and cried.....
the only way i can leave my house right now is by getting in and out a wheel chair over steps...cos i just freeze!
but apart from that i feel optimistic today....which feels great!
more physio next week and then returning to work on the 13th.....(slightly worried) xx

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 09:38:29 AM »
hi kerrianne,
wow - youre doing great!!! weight bearing already!!! thats fantastic news!!

dont worry a bit about the phobia - its totally normal. you cant push yourself when you freeze up, you just have to take it as it comes and as your leg gets stronger your confidence will come back. pain takes away a lot of confidence, its the bodies natural reaction to protect itself. one of my ohysios used to say that freezing up/going wobbly was a standard reaction of all lower limb rehab and the trick to stop it from happening is to use distraction. if you manage to distract your mind when faced with scary stuff you wont notice the scary stuff so much. so get someone talking to you (loudly!), an ipod or walkman to use music as a distraction, or just keep a mantra going in your head 'i CAN do it, i CAN do it' - its just little mind tricks - but they do work. i went to hypnosis for it - but the hypnotist said that a phobia is an irrational fear but the fear of using my leg is actually a rational fear so she suggested NLP instead. we did a session, it was interesting, i dont know if it really worked or not - but i enjoyed it!!!

you sound like youre doing great, forget the fear, just concentrate on doing what you can, and keep a physio diary - its great to look back at things that you absolutely could not do at some point and realise you can do them now!
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline kerrianne

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 02:36:05 PM »
hi! had consultant app and he has let me go brace free! i am now almost full weightbaring on it.
my rom is now 70 degrees. still a long way to go and some dark days still. ill be moving off my crutches soon which fills me with dread and excitment!

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 09:21:34 AM »
hi kerianne,
sounds like youre doing great!!!
well done - almost full weight bearing already!!! thats fantastic!

oh the dreaded yet exciting loss of crutches!!! youll be fine, its scary, but your confidence will come back day by day and youll be so happy NOT to be on them that the fear of being without them will diminish.
i used to carry one with me if i was going into a situation that scared me as a just in case, even though id mostly leave it in a corner - it helped to know it was there. if you do that for a bit you eventually find one day that you forgot to bring it at all.

youre doing so well - keep up the good work, youll be back to normal in no time!!
tanya
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline kerrianne

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 06:14:33 PM »
hi tanya! thanks so much for your kind words, means soooo much. had physio today, can get to 85d today so really pleased. im beginning to shuffle better on 1 crutch when im relax and my brain is in gear! my leg still feels weak but im trying to push away the fear which i think at times is holding me back!
my physio reckons i can try driving in 3 weeks ish so that too will b good!

how are you doing?? where are u at with your knees??
k x

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2007, 10:08:53 AM »
hi kerianne,
you sound good and you sound like your knee is doing good!!! excellent!!

i know exactly what you mean about the fear - it happens me too - i get all sort of wobbly with anxiety if im in a difficult situation. it gets better though.

wow - driving in 3 weeks!!! youll be back to normal in no time!!!

dont worry about feeling weak - thats normal at this stage, just make sure you keep doing all your exercises and getting strong again.

im alright, was back with physio on monday. i just do not like my physiotherapist. she isnt nice. extremely competent but i always come away feeling lousy about how im doing. she makes me feel like all my hours of sweating count for nothing!!!
i was dead proud id started cyclying again and she just sniffed at me when i told her. she doesnt encourage me at all.

besides that my knee is definitely improving. my quads were so weak (especially VMO) that turning over in bed was a big ordeal involving minute movements and skillful compensationary methods to try and not sublux or dislocate. now its just easy, want to turn, turn.
sounds like a small thing but its the little things make the difference :)

and ive gone from being totally unstable walking to being sore/awkward/weak - which is a much preffered state of affairs :)

still having some trouble with some of the exercises - will keep bashing away at them. my biggest physio problem is not noticing that ive lost correct technique or am compensating somehow. i need to constantly check myself to be sure im not 'forgetting' to use my bad leg. guess that what years and years of unsconscious compensation does for you eh??

Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

support