Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ironman training and sudden knee pain???HELP  (Read 3287 times)

Offline tri

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Ironman training and sudden knee pain???HELP
« on: July 15, 2007, 10:42:18 PM »
Setting: 42 yr old male, training for an full Ironman, Excellent condition w/ no prior hx of knee injuries.
Having a great year of training, run a marathon in April, heavy ironman training for late Aug. race
Situation: Rode a 5hr bike ride followed by a short run on Monday, felt great. Swim training/lifted wts Tues. Rode a hard 1hr spin training, followed by a 30 run on tread mill, Feeling strong. Went home, took shower, lifted my left leg on bench to towel dry it...upon setting it down, it felt like it locked up slightly, but went I straighten it out and beared wts, my knee suddenly hurt bad, (7/10 pain scale) I could not straighten it nor bear weight! It hurts in the outside mid lateral with ROM and wt bear but not to touch.
Current: Out 3 days still hurts, I am walking w/ a knee brace and I can walk or slow jog with sl . pain (2/10). Walking down stairs still hurts (5/10). Can not train and it's killing me...is this frecky, what happen and what do I do????
Extra info: My trainer told me that I need to improve my Left foot gait in biking, I had a tendency to pedal w/ my left foot slightly out, also I notice in my run I did the same. So 2 months ago I made a conscious effort to kept my left straight. Feeling a little pressure to my outer knee, simular to my pain area.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: Ironman training and sudden knee pain???HELP
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 11:51:37 PM »
You need to see a doctor. Having a knee lock up is usually a sign of something being torn.

Offline tri

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 03:10:35 AM »
"See a doctor"...deep answer, thanks dude..great web site. Obiviously I will be see a doctor, but I was hoping for some insight prior to. The best and safest answer to any question is "seek a medical professional" We don't need a website for that. Anyways "locked" may not be the best describtion, slight resistence would be better...?

Offline Jaci

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 03:37:42 AM »
Hello tri,

Something torn doesn't neccessarily mean a ligament. Your symptoms sound a lot like a meniscus tear or possibly a loose body sticking in the joint. Loose bodies are exactly what it sounds like-- loose bits of stuff from past injuries or even normal wear and tear that build up over time. The way the possible injury occurred sounds a lot more like a meniscus than a ligament tear as ligaments generally take a fair amount of force to cause them to rupture. Plus the knee generally feels unstable with a ligment injury. The menisci are between the femur and tibia, a tear can leave a flap that folds up and lodges between the bones when you bend and straitghten the knee giving feeling of catching, locking, resistance and the like.

You may want to take a look on KNEEguru's main website. Use this link or the 'website' button near the upper left-hand area of the page to get there. Then look for meniscii in the index.

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/

Jaci

Edited to add: The other reason I would tend to lean toward a meniscus injury or loose body is that you are probably very fit. The muscles of the knee are the primary stabilizers and the ligaments-- cruciates and collaterals-- are the secondary stabilizers when the muscles don't provide adequate stability. If you are very fit it's going to take a fairly good impact to tear the ligament. Meniscus tears can occur over time. Small tears can even be asymptomatic until something changes such as a subsequent injury. Anyway, that's take on your knee but I'm not a doctor or medical practitioner. Good luck seeing the doc.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 04:15:06 AM by Jaci »
10/03 Twist injury
12/03 Menisectomy- tears ACL, MCL, & LCL missed by OS
Arthrofibrosis ROM 38-68
3/04- 4/08 Multiple scar tissue procedures:
6 scopes w/LOA, AIR, LR, chondroplasty, synovectomy, bone spur & plica removal
3 insufflations, many injections
Chronic AF, patella infera, IPCS

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 03:14:41 PM »
"See a doctor"...deep answer, thanks dude..great web site. Obiviously I will be see a doctor, but I was hoping for some insight prior to. The best and safest answer to any question is "seek a medical professional" We don't need a website for that. Anyways "locked" may not be the best describtion, slight resistence would be better...?

Well, what else would you like us to say? Your original question was "What happened and what should I do?". Knees are complicated, there's a lot that can go wrong and I'm sure you must know you can't be diagnosed over the internet. So the only possible answer to "What should I do?" is to see a doctor if you want to know what happened and get the proper treatment. Anyone with a knee injury can tell you the hazards of self-diagnosis and not getting proper treatment.

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 09:59:56 PM »
Tri,
This is a great website to come to for help, but you won't get many responses from people if they think they're going to be treated to sarcasm. It wasn't obvious from your post that you were going to seek medical help and you'd be surprised how many people DON'T think they need to go to a doctor. Those of us who've been here awhile have learned to be cautious when someone asks 'what should I do', because we want to be sure that folks do get proper attention and don't rely solely on our advice. That being said, I agree with Jaci that it sounds like a meniscus problem. I understand that it's frustrating to you not being able to train, but it would be best if you didn't do anything that triggers the pain, because continuing to put pressure on a tear can easily make it worse.
Terre
RK 7/04 part. m. menisc., plica resect., MF
    3/05 part. m. menisc., open OATS
    1/07 part l. menisc., MF, patellar chondroplasty
    9/08 MF
LK 11/04 & 8/06 part m. menisc.
     7/07 LR, patellar tendon debrid., part m. menisc.

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 11:21:27 PM »
i agree with Terre. This is a great website to come for answers from people who have had similar problems. Knee problems are so confusing that some docs dont even know what is wrong. always go, just in case it could be something that could put u out of your training, completely. I ad that happen. I had a 45,000 college scholarship from softball at the age of 10. the knee problems started and I just shook them off. Here I am, 5 years later, and I am barely able to walk 3 blocks or do basic things around the house. Even taking a shower is hard to do. Sarcasm is not the way to get more responses...everyone is trying to help everyone. everyone here has really helped me pull through some of my darker days. the docs still dont know what is wrong.

Jak
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 07:30:34 PM by FindnNemo91 »
TTT/Lateral Release/Chondroplasty: May 15th, 2009
Brostrom Reconstruction: Oct 16th, 2009

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

Offline stickshifty

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 11:36:10 PM »
Hopefully this won't receive a sarcastic reply, but I agree with Jaci about the problem being in the meniscus because it doesn't seem like it's in the lateral ligaments. I only have experience with partially torn lateral collateral ligaments and bilateral quadric sublaxion patellar tendonitis, but I can offer the advice not to bear too much weight on your good knee and overdo your bad knee. When I tore my lat coll, I put all my weight on my right knee and I still marched a whole season on it. Later I developed tendonitis in both knees and now I have the "I have no idea what's wrong" pain. It will only bring you more pain if you try to do too much too soon. Update us when you get a real answer!

|| Stick | Shifty ||
7.22.2004: horseback riding accident :(
5.9.2008: scope + plica removal on left knee.
12.16.2008: de-plica-tize my right knee.
3.14.2011: lateral release + medial plication on left knee.

It's great to be a Tennessee Vol!!!!

support