Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: My Left Knee  (Read 3908 times)

seilogramp

My Left Knee
« on: July 28, 2007, 11:24:07 PM »
I'm a runner, or at least I'd like to be one again. I've been running for that past 10 years. I've had my share of running injuries, but this is my first knee injury. About a month ago I started noticing some tightness in my left knee. No pain, just a little tight while running. I'd ice afterwards and take some ibuprofen. That seemed to get me ready for the next run. 2 weeks ago I felt a sudden and sharp pain on the inside of my left knee. Right around where the medial meniscus is, where the femur and tibia meet. I was forced to stop and hobble back to my car. I stopped running for 2 weeks. At work I was walking with a noticeable limp. In the morning it wasn't so bad, but as the day wore on and I was forced to walk, the pain would come back. Today I went to the doctor, she took an x-ray but couldn't detect any problem. She said she'd have the radiologist take a look at it and would get back with me in a week. At that time they might refer me to an orthopedic doctor for a possible mri. She prescribed naproxen for the pain and inflamation. My main concern is that my running days may be over. I've read where some runners have come back from such injuries. Not sure if this is normal or not, but I'd like to get some feedback.

The attached image shows my mouse pointing to the exact area of discomfort. It was taken from this image of a right knee.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 11:51:12 PM by seilogramp »

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: My Left Knee
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 11:30:07 PM »
If you have a meniscus injury you can get back running..look at all soccer players and with their injuries and how many that comes back.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

seilogramp

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 11:47:11 PM »
If you have a meniscus injury you can get back running..look at all soccer players and with their injuries and how many that comes back.

Is this after arthroscopic surgery? BTW, I'm 50-years-old, if that makes a difference.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 11:53:29 PM »
Yup, the age does not necessery mean that you have bigger problems. Depends on what's the problem and how much damage you have.Though recovery time might be a bit longer.But we are all different so findings and your condition before is the mainkey how you will be after ev. surgery
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.

seilogramp

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 01:09:36 PM »
One thing I failed to mention in my original post. Even when I wasn't in pain and could run for hours with no tightness, I couldn't flex my left knee as far as my right knee. I can bring my heel all the way to my butt with my right leg. But with my left leg I can get to about a 30 angle. At that point I feel a lot of resistance. Not sure if this is what lead to what I'm facing now.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 08:53:53 PM »
Maybe you have had problems for longer then you know. You can have a tear and not experience pain.

Offline ex-gymnast

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 09:09:06 PM »
If you look at my surgery history below you will see I have had many knee problems.  I have to wear a brace but I can run.  (Normally, right now I am down with patella pain.)

Really to only way you should have to quit running is if you let your self.  At this point it sounds like you need to get ready for a long mental recovery as well as physical.  I say this because I was told I would never tumble again after ACL surgery.  It is a killer for gymnastics.  I learned skills that should have been imposible after my 2nd knee had an ACL replacement.

Keep a postive outlook.  It helps alot.

Becky
If I knew I'd be like this now, I'd do it all again.
1998- Lf ACL replace (failed)
1998- Lf ACL replace (worked)
1998- Rt LR
1999- Rt Scope
2000- Rt ACL replace
2001- Rt hardware replace
2002- Rt Scar Tissue Removal
2005- Rt Pattella Scraped
2009- Rt clean-out the mess
To Come: 2 Replace

seilogramp

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 09:34:29 PM »
Really to only way you should have to quit running is if you let your self.

Believe me, if there's any possibility to run, then I'll be doing it. That may be one reason I'm injured now. Just today, after taking naproxen the knee was feeling pretty good. I actually had thoughts of making an attempt at running. But my non-running self, which is a little more reasonable than my running-obsessive self, said NO. I've spent most of the day researching alternative methods of exercise, including bikes, exercise bikes, elliptical trainers, and health clubs. Not even sure if an elliptical or a bike will hurt my knee. I was thinking of joining a health club for a trial membership just to test out the machines.

Keep a postive outlook.  It helps alot.

Thanks Becky. I'm trying.  :)

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 09:51:36 PM »
but if you have damaged your meniscus or anything else then you should really consider changing your running i fit is going to continue to cause damage! I had a TKR at 43 after removal of all meniscus and ruptured acl - and who said sport was good for us!!
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

seilogramp

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 09:56:19 PM »
but if you have damaged your meniscus or anything else then you should really consider changing your running i fit is going to continue to cause damage!

I really don't know what is wrong yet. I've only had a preliminary x-ray. The doctor couldn't see anything wrong. I have to wait for a possible MRI and/or scope. Until then, I don't think anyone can make a valid prediction.

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 09:59:19 PM »
erm - didn't you ask for feedback!
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

seilogramp

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2007, 10:01:34 PM »
erm - didn't you ask for feedback!

Yes, and I thank you and others for that. ;D I'm just saying that I'm not ruling out running again until I see this thing through. Also, it could be the mechanics of my running form that could be causing damage, for example too much pronation of the left leg or any other imbalance can lead to injury. Sometimes it takes months or years of running for that injury to manifest itself.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 10:06:19 PM by seilogramp »

seilogramp

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 05:32:25 PM »
I wish I could get this diagnosis over with. My impression of the doctor that I saw is that she doesn't understand sports-related injuries. She suggested it might be arthritis. Not that that's not a possibility for a 50-year-old. But I feel like I'm just wasting time waiting for the radiologist to view the x-rays. Even then, unless I have an obvious visible abnormality, I don't think an x-ray is going to show a problem. I just want to be referred to someone that has a better understanding of this sort of thing. The injury does feel better, after taking Naproxen. But in reality is that really fixing the problem?

In the mean time, so that my fitness doesn't dwindle down to sub couch potato level, I've ordered an exercise bike.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 05:34:09 PM by seilogramp »

seilogramp

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 07:09:53 PM »
We switched insurance plans this year. I just found out that I don't even need a referral. I called an orthopedic surgeon. I have an appointment for Tuesday morning. ;D Screwing around with my old doctor's office was a total waste of time.

seilogramp

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2007, 09:52:36 PM »
I called an orthopedic surgeon. I have an appointment

On Tuesday I had my appointment with the OS. The doc was great. He expressed genuine concern for me not being able to run (he's a runner also). He asked what I thought the problem was and he actually listened to my answer. He moved my leg around a bit to see which movement made it hurt. What hurt was when he pushed on the inside of me knee and ankle. He didn't have to ask if it hurt. My cries were sufficient. After that he said, "We need to get you an MRI. Now!" So I got an MRI that same afternoon. I got a call from the doctor's office on Thursday. The next appointment is on Monday to discuss the results of the MRI.