Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: someone please help asap  (Read 756 times)

Offline kaie10

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
someone please help asap
« on: July 26, 2007, 10:54:55 AM »
hi all. well thsi morning is my surgery- its in 6 hours- and im really scared right now because last night my friends took me to dinner and we all had a great time and i had a couple glasses of wine. yes i know, it wasnt teh smartest decision. well i then found out that my doctor will cancel the surgeyr if he knows i had alcohol last night- i wouldnt want to risk anything happening but i cant handle not having this surgery today. im a nervous wreck now because im in fear that i wont be able to have the surgery.  when the hospital called me they said nothing about no alcohol, or anything, and on the list of stuff for me to stop taking (like vitamins or anything i regularly do, and also asprins)it didnt say anything about alcohol the night before, or that i should stop it a week before- it said nothing. can anyone please give me some advice on what to do or what you tihnk. i wanna be honest with the hospital and tell them but im afraid they will cancel my surgery.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: someone please help asap
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 12:36:19 PM »
How late did you drink ? And how much ?
I doubt this can have any effect on your surgery unless you drank too late, after midnight and too much.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline knee-will-be-great

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Open-wedge HTO & ACL allograft done (YES!)
    • ACL Allograft #3 Post-Surgery Rehab/Wellness Diary
Re: someone please help asap
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 02:51:08 PM »
Hi,

Hope you are okay.  The hospital has rules about what you should and should not do 12 hours prior to surgery.  It is to protect you as a patient from having possible adverse effects during surgery.  Not everyone has adverse effects during surgery, but some people do. 

People's bodies react differently to alcohol, irrespective of the amount ingested; that is why the "no alcohol" rule (amongst many other rules) is required of patients by hospitals and the operating room physicians.  It keeps the patient safe and keeps the doctors out of managing/reacting to an unecessary potential adverse event in the middle of or after an operation.

To be completely safe (and not potentially sorry), I would tell the doctor(s) and specifically the anesthetist about what you ingested and when you ingested the food/alcohol last night - but I would tell them preferably prior to you being wheeled into the operating room.  It would be unfortunate to waste a hospital's valuable operating room time if you cannot get the surgery done.  Perhaps some other patient could get your booked surgical time instead. 

The doctors will arrange to reschedule the surgery depending upon what you have eaten/drank - and when (what time) you did so last night.  Or they may choose to go ahead with surgery.  It is their call.  But to protect yourself, you should be honest with them about what you ate/drank and when.  It is unfair of you to withhold this information from your medical team.  Surgery depends on the patient trusting the doctor's compliance to surgical protocol and the doctor relying on the patient's compliance to pre-op and post-op rules s/he sets out for the patient to follow.

Question:  If you do not tell them, you could risk a possibility of an adverse event.  Why would you want to take a chance like that with your health?

Whatever you decide, I wish all the best of luck to you. 

KWBG
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 05:06:05 PM by knee-will-be-great »
Medial Menisectomy, 1 ACL Autograft, 3 ACL Allografts, HTO, numerous debridements, good now :)
ACL Allograft #3 Post-Surgery Rehab/Wellness Diary http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37218.0;all
ACL Reconstruction VIDEOS http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37773.0

support