Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ACI/Carticel  (Read 14306 times)

Offline kyle

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: ACI/Carticel
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2002, 04:10:50 AM »
What was your flexion to require you to need a manipulation?  I am almost 10 weeks post-op Carticel transplant w/a distal realignment and there is a little bit of concern my flexion is lagging.  I have a history of needing manipulations with my surgeries so this isn't a big surprise to me, I am just curious where you were in your flexion/extension when the doctor decided to manip.  Thanks.

Offline noddy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2002, 12:23:05 AM »
Kyle

My range was 70 - 75 when the os decided that I had developed arthrofibrosis and needed a manipulation and lysis. I had full extension.  I was 4 months post op from the transplant surgery when this was done.

I am now 2 weeks post op from this and my range has gone backwards to about 90.  However I think that this is because it is still very painful to bend beyond this.

Noddy

Offline kyle

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2002, 07:05:38 PM »
Thanks for the response.  I see my doctor Jan. 2 and I think we are going to talk about a manip at that time.  Right now I can get to 80-85 degrees and my therapist can push it to 90.

How has pain management been?  I am still having pain that requires medication and I am 11 weeks post-op.  Much of my pain is caused by my lack of flexion.  I still don't sleep thru the night w/o taking pain medication.  

Offline noddy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2002, 08:27:24 AM »
Kyle

Pain has been mixed. I required pain meds to sleep and do physio for maybe the first 8 weeks.  I would still wake with pain at night several times a week until my latest surgery. I am now taking pain meds again after the manipulation. It is still painful to do certain things with my knee such as walk down stairs and my physio thinks that it is being caused by my patella still not being properly supported by my very weak quads. When the physio tapes my knee it feels very good, nearly normal in fact.  I see my os on 30 dec and will be interested in what he says about this.  I will post and let you know. The pain, I feel, is causing my range of motion problems at present.

Noddy

Offline mj/usa

• Forum Faithful
  • glad to have my knee back again
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2002, 05:34:55 PM »
Noddy--
I am sorry to hear that you are still having problems....I can relate to the going down-stairs part.  I had/ still have probs with that, too and my os told me that it was because the patella shifts laterally since the vmo and the quads are still too weak to support it in its usual track.  This had gotten better (now 3+ mos post-op) but I can still feel the patella moving when I go downstairs.  The pain is a lot less, though.
AS for weak quads...I have been working and working and working on them, when will they be back to strength??? AT least now the quads on both legs are of equal circumfrence...
Good luck to you and happy new year!!!
Mary Jane
plica excision 05/01,  followed by OATS 09/02

Offline noddy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2002, 04:02:48 AM »
Thank you Mary Jane

A very happy New Year to you also.  

It seems like a never ending obstacle course these knees of ours.  One thing improves and another thing springs up to test us. I am still optumistic that all will be well in the end.  

You describe the problem with the patella well.  That is what my physio said.

All the best

Noddy

Offline mj/usa

• Forum Faithful
  • glad to have my knee back again
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2002, 05:26:00 PM »
Noddy--
I forgot to mention that my os told me to wear a sleeve if the kneecap was bothering me.  I have one that has a doughnut  around the patella and sort of keeps it in place.  But the problem here is that if I use the sleeve, the muscles don't get stronger....As you say a catch-22.
Anyway I thought this might be a help to you, too.
Mary Jane
plica excision 05/01,  followed by OATS 09/02

Offline noddy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2003, 06:38:44 AM »
Thanks Mary Jane. I will look into what I can get that is like that.

I saw my os on monday. He is pleased with my progress since the manip. I still have significant patella pain, however he tells me that it will continue to improve for up to a year yet, so he is not prepared to make a prognosis on the outcome until then.  My range is about 90 but my quads need a lot of work.

Noddy

Offline noddy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2003, 11:02:52 AM »
Hello

I haven't posted for a while as I have had other medical problems to deal with, including having a breast lump removed.  

I am now 10 month post op with my ACI and the pain in my knee is getting worse. I have to take pain killers every night to get a good nights sleep and celebrex to help with the inflammation. To add to it all my hip is so painful that it is becoming difficult to stand and sit without significant pain and my good knee is starting to give under the pressure.

I was wondering how other ACIers are going? I am starting to wonder about the wisdom of having this surgery. Maybe a knee replacement would have been a better option with faster recovery.

I look forward to reading other posts on the subject

Cheers

Noddy

Offline kyle

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2003, 11:03:35 PM »
I am exactly 8 months post op and I think I am doing better.  I walk about 2 miles per day w/o much pain.  The one thing I still cannot do is a leg extension with my bad leg.  I saw my doctor last week and he told me one of his partners had the transplant three years ago and she is better than ever.  Seems like a long time to wait.  Overall I would recommend having the transplant but I think you need to be mentally prepared as much as physically prepared.  It's the mental part that doesn't get enough attention (dealing w/many ups and downs).

Offline Golfer

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2003, 08:44:05 AM »
I was wondering if anyone has had the ACI procedure, has had time to heal from it and what were the results?

I was under the impression that this could only be performed for small lesions and therefore, how extensive this procedure is for arthritic knees.

My knee should be in the Smithsonian after 8 surgeries and want to avoid TKR for as long as possible, hoping new procedures are on the way.

Regards,

Golfer

support