Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ACI/Carticel  (Read 13988 times)

Offline noddy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: ACI/Carticel
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2002, 05:26:02 AM »
Hello Mark

Thank you for asking.  I am now 4 weeks post op and things are going slowly.  I go to physio 3 times a week and currently my ROM is about 55 degrees, which is ok but not great. My quads are also a little slow at regaining strength.  I have to wear my brace for another 2 weeks.  The worry at the moment is that I am developing arthrofibrosis which will require another surgery to correct.

Some days are better than others. It is very frustrating not being independant. As I had the surgery on my right knee I am dependant on others to drive me everywhere.  You really need a good support network if you are going to have this surgery.  

It is still early days and I am hopeful that with more hard work it will all be worth it. I knew that the rehab was long when I agreed to have this procedure. I have an excellent and patient physio who gives me lots of encouragement and support.

Offline mark

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2002, 11:24:53 PM »
hey there, sound like things are moving along and I wish you the best of luck on your recovery, I have still not heard anything from my surgeon, hoping to get ahold of him tomorrow, I really want to get the ball rolling on this, I have to schedule the procedures with my college schedule, its a virtual nightmare. Good luck
2/95 Rt knee scope, 3/96 L knee scope, mencus repair, 1/02 L knee scope, realligned patella debrided cartlage damage, 10/02 carticel harvest attemped, failed, 12/02  L knee Fulkerson

Offline Ghostrider203

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Avionics Technician
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2002, 01:16:43 AM »
I Had ACI 2 Years ago in the Forces at Haslar, Portsmouth.  I was told that recovery is usualy about 2 years but unfotunatley the Back third of my graft detached.
I was up and about after 2 days of the op on crutches and of the crutches after about 4 weeks.
Strangeley I had very little pain at all ,in fact iv'e felt very little pain during any of the 6 operations i have had on my right knee.
I took Glucosamine & chondroitin supplements as they are supposed to be good for Hyaline cartiladge tissue.
At the moment I have full range of motion but still cannot run as I get pain under extreme load bearing.

If there is anything I can help you with please don't hesitate to email me.

I'm not regreting having the surgery one bit as it was my last chance saloon to stay in the RAF  !

Offline Joanna

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2002, 12:01:00 AM »
Hi everyone,

I am six months post op from a right knee ACI.  I had it done in the UK and the procedure is a bit different than everywhere else.  I was able to walk on my leg the day after the operation, my whole leg was in plaster for two weeks which helped to support it and stop me twisting it.  After that I was on crutches for two months and then walked unaided.  My ROM didn't take long to recover either.

I have got on really well.  The pain can still be bad but the graft is still growing.  I think being able to walk on the leg helped me rehabilitate quicker.  I couldn't image being non-weight bearing for six weeks :(

I hear a lot of bad stories about this operation, it is very hard, but definately worth it.  

Best of luck to everyone out there who has this operation pending.

Joanna ;)
3 Arthroscopies; 2000 - Shaving and clean out; 2001 - Wash Out; 2002 - 1st Stage ACI. 2nd Stage ACI - 2002; Arthroscopy to check ACI graft - 2003; ACI failed - Jan 2005; High Tibial Osteotomy & MACI - March 2006; Hardwear removal - 2007; MACI failed - 2009.

Offline mark

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2002, 06:22:52 PM »
Hey there, I have been approved for the procedure, I go in next Friday for the first procedure and then scheduled for the 13 of December for the second procedure. Im happy and scared at the same time. I pray that this will work, shoot I pray that I can walk on campus next Monday :o
2/95 Rt knee scope, 3/96 L knee scope, mencus repair, 1/02 L knee scope, realligned patella debrided cartlage damage, 10/02 carticel harvest attemped, failed, 12/02  L knee Fulkerson

Offline wriggley

• Regular Poster
  • Bad Spellers of the World Untie!
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2002, 03:07:52 AM »
Hi troy, you said you were in "ireland" but which country?  I live just outside Belfast where are you?
Paraplegic(inc. L5) due to a spinal cord bleed along with previous knee and hypermobility problems

Offline noddy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2002, 04:39:46 AM »
Hi Mark

Good luck with your surgery.  The harvest is straight forward.  The best advice I can give you to prepare for the second surgery is to work really hard on your quads before you have the implantation.  I am 6 weeks post op and my quads are only now strong enough for me to lift my leg.

Hope all goes well

Noddy

Offline kyle

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2002, 07:53:12 PM »
I had my transplant last Wed.  The first two days were terrible for me but it is getting better fast.  I also had a distal realignment so my increased pain isn't surprising.  I start therapy on Friday (9 days after surgery).  Curious as to what to expect from therapy.  Also, any advice going into Therapy?  If you could have done something (while in therapy) differently what would it have been?  Thanks. Kyle.

Offline mark

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2002, 02:22:06 AM »
Hi Noddy,
Well Im 10 days post op with what was going to be the first procedure, once they got in there they decided not to do the carticel. the doc felt like it was not warrented with the little damage that he found. I go back in one month to discuss ?raising the patella? to take off the excess pressure against my joint. Hope you continue to do well, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Mark

Offline noddy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2002, 10:01:11 AM »
Mark and kyle

Mark I am sorry to hear that you could not go ahead with the surgery.  Here's hoping that something else can be done for your problem. Thank you for your good wishes.  I  am progressing slowly but that is the nature of ACI's.

Kyle - I am very lucky as I have excellent physio's who know what to do and when to do it.  They give me nothing but encouragement and support.  The first months of physio is dedicated to regaining your ROM and quad strength.  Work hard on both as this is the key to a good recovery. My ROM is only about 70 degrees and it looks like I am heading for another surgery to clear away scar tissue.  My physio and I are working hard not to let this happen.  I go to physio 3 times a week and I also have a pool programme that I do up to 3 times a week.

I hope this helps.  Good luck.

Noddy

Offline chr12t1ne

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2002, 04:21:17 PM »
Noddy,
I've been following ACI posts with great interest as I had the procedure done Dec 01.  Finally decided to register and start to take part.  I had MUA for adhesions 8 weeks post surgery I had physio daily to try and improve my 45 degree flexion but got no-where, all I can say is for the sake of a 10 min procedure it was well worth it my ROM improved in leaps and bounds afterwards without too much of a struggle, I'm sure you would find your rehab would be much quicker if you opt for MUA before the scar tissue starts to harden!  I still havent quite got full ROM but I had quite a lot of damage plus 3 grafts and the trochlea drilled all at the same time, but things are certainly better than before and the pain relief from this surgery is worth all the rehab!  Good luck S

Offline kyle

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2002, 05:54:17 PM »
Noddy,

How far along are you now?  I have a history of arthrofibrosis (had 3 manips in past) so I wouldn't be surprised if this happened to me.  My doctors biggest concern is extension which I am at zero degrees right now.  If you have the time go to http://www.cartilagedoc.org/ and click on Rehab Protocols.  This page was designed by my doctor and this is the protocol I am following.  My protocol is the Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation (Trochlea/Patella) link.  I am curious if this looks anything like your protocol.  Thanks, I would like to keep in touch through this process.  Kyle

Offline noddy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2002, 10:46:43 AM »
Hi Kyle

I am currently 10 1/2 weeks post op, 11 weeks on wednesday.  I went and had a look at your site.  It was very interesting.  

The protocol described there is similar to mine but not completely the same.  I could partial weightbear right from the beginning as long as I had my brace on.  I had an extension brace only.  I was not alllowed to do SLR until 8 weeks post op as this would have compromised my main implant site which was my patella. I had virtually no cartilage there at all. Thus my quad work was all static. I was required to wear my brace for 7 weeks also.

Everything else looks pretty much the same. Some days physio is good others not so good.  It requires great patience. My ROM is stuck at about 70 degrees.

I am happy to keep in touch. Please ask if you have any questions as I know what it is like trying to find anyone who has had this surgery to talk to.

S - thank you for your information.  I think I am heading for removal of scar tissue. Then I might be able to bend my knee again.
Here's hoping.

Noddy

Offline noddy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2002, 06:12:11 AM »
Just thought I would give you an update on my ACI.  

I have just returned home from hospital yesterday after having fibrous tissue removed and having a manipulation. This went well. While the OS was in there he took the skin flap off my graft area, which was the back of my patella, and he says that my patella is covered with spongy cartilage material. It appears that the surgery has worked for me. Now we will have to wait and see how functional my knee is when it recovers.

Hope this helps those of you considering aci.

Noddy

Offline Linda

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2002, 09:57:11 PM »
Hey Noddy,

That is great news! I am sorry that you had to have more surgery, but glad that things seem to be progressing well.

Good for you!
Linda
LR and Chondrplasty 1/22/02, Clean-up, Chondroplasty and biopsy 6/4/02, AC Implant 11/6/02, Micro fracture and adhesion clean up 8/12/03