Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ACI/Carticel  (Read 13989 times)

Offline noddy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
ACI/Carticel
« on: July 16, 2002, 12:01:45 PM »

I am having an ACI in 3 weeks time. I live in Australia where this surgery is fairly new. Can anyone tell me what to expect, how long I will be in hospital, off work and anything else I should know. I would particularly like to hear from anyone in Australia who has had this surgery. I have already had the harvest done.

Thank you in advance.

Offline kyle

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: ACI/Carticel
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2002, 05:58:46 PM »
I don't want to get off topic but I am having the same surgery in September.  Did you have any problems with the harvest?  Did you require any stitches?  Thanks.

Offline noddy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2002, 03:43:04 AM »
The only problem I had with the harvest was that one of the portals bled slightly for a day or two. This required one stitch. Other than that the harvest was a simple arthroscopy and no other stitches were required. My knee is recovering well from that.

Offline muffy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2002, 07:15:25 AM »
I had my ACI main surgery 12 weeks ago in BOston Mass, USA. I must tell you it is the hardest thing I have done in my life. The first 6 weeks are non weight bearing, and after that you progress 1/3 of your weight every 2 weeks... It hurts at times alot and at other times it does not. My quads are gone, PT is impossible... All I can tell you is be ready for a hard ride... More importantly, make sure your other half is ready for this because, she will have to live with someone who cannot do anything. I mean, you put your foot down the wrong way and the surgery is history. Its that sensitive. The doctor says 4 to 6 months before results can be seen. A tough one. Any other questions, let me know...
Walter

Offline noddy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2002, 09:49:51 AM »
Thank you for the information muffy.  It sounds like I am in for a long hard rehab.  Hopefully it will be worth it.  My OS says it is delaying a TKR for another 5 - 7 years.  

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 107
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2002, 12:04:51 PM »
For those of you reading this section for interest, an ACI means 'autologous chondrocyte implantation' - also known as the Carticel or Genzyme technique.
It is a 'cutting edge' procedure for managing large areas of damaged joint surface in the knee, usually on the femur (thighbone).
The words mean 'taking cartilage cells from the joint surface, and implanting them somewhere else in the same person'.
The method relies on taking normal cartilage (joint surface) and sending it away to a laboratory to be cultured - to provide a much larger bulk of cartilage. This is the 'harvest' stage, and requires a small operation - usually keyhole (arthroscopy).
When sufficient new cells have been grown (a few weeks time) the patient comes back for a second operation, this time to transplant these cells (his/her own cells) back into the defect that the surgeon is trying to cover.  Of course, they would just float away if just smeared on.  So in a rather bigger procedure this time, a piece of the fibrous material covering the bones is removed and sewn over the defect, and the cells are pushed in behind this envelope, where they are contained until they unite into functioning cartilage.
The procedure is very expensive and only done is a few centres. As I said it requires two operations, sometimes three if the surgeon needs to go back and take a look at a later stage to see if it has worked.
--
KNEEguru

Offline drnscr

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2002, 12:25:15 AM »
I have had two carticel implants (one in both knees).  It is tough but doable as long as you keep a positive frame of mind.  Stay on top of your pain meds and do the exercises as told.  I started quad sets and straight leg raises the morning after surgery and am convinced it was the difference in my recovery....

good luck

chuck

Offline kyle

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2002, 09:21:36 PM »
How long was your hospital stay after surgery?  I have a history of scar tissue so my surgeon is going to keep me at least 3 days so I can be monitored.  Also, what pain medication did you take?

Offline noddy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2002, 10:12:54 AM »
Kyle

I was in hospital for 4 days.  They started me on a CPM machine within 24 hours of surgery.  I was given morphine and panadiene forte while in hospital and am still on painkillers 2 weeks post op. I have just started physio and am going 3 times a week so it is important to control the pain.  

Offline troydonovan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2002, 06:21:52 PM »
Noddy

What was the cause of the cartilage problem you have, broken patella or something else?

I'm wondering also where to find info on centres in Aussie or NZ that do this, any ideas? I'm presently in Ireland but coming home soon to NZ to try and fix my left knee.

Troy

Offline mark

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2002, 07:39:37 AM »
I am currently being considered for carticel, the doc is supposed to call by the end of the week to let me know one way or the other, I have been 8 months to get to this point I am hoping to have good news this week
2/95 Rt knee scope, 3/96 L knee scope, mencus repair, 1/02 L knee scope, realligned patella debrided cartlage damage, 10/02 carticel harvest attemped, failed, 12/02  L knee Fulkerson

Offline noddy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2002, 10:26:04 AM »
Troy

My cartilage damage was caused by a fall.  I was diagnosed with chondromalacia of the patella.  I had a lateral release done 2 years ago and have continued to have problems.  An MRI and arthroscopy were performed and both showed no cartilage behind the majority of my patella and other areas within  my knee also had no cartilage.  I had 2 areas implanted during the most recent surgery.  

I live in Australia and there are several surgeons now performing this procedure, although they are scattered and it is a fairly new procedure in Aus.  I know it is performed in Melbourne, Sydney and Canberra.  If you go to the site www.mercytissue.com.au you will find info on the procedure in Australia.

I hope this has helped.  I can give you the name of my surgeon if you can't find one closer to home.  Cheers

Noddy

Offline troydonovan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2002, 04:49:13 PM »
Noddy

From what I have found on procedures this ACI treatment appears the best first oiption.

I still cannot find any info on NZ/Aussie surgeons that perform this. Can you please give me the details of your surgeon and any others you know of and I will go from there.

Cheers
Troy

Offline noddy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2002, 11:56:54 AM »
Troy

My surgeons name is Dr Paul Miniter and he is based in Canberra.  I am sure his staff would be able to give you names of other surgeons if Canberra is not easy for you to come to.  If you get in touch with Mercy Tissue Engineering in Melbourne I know they also have a list of surgoens who perform ACI's.  As it is fairly new in Australia not a lot of doctors perform this surgery yet.  

Cheers

Noddy

Offline mark

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2002, 09:29:47 PM »
hey noddy, are you still out there, last time I heard from you, was two weeks post op, how are things going? ???
2/95 Rt knee scope, 3/96 L knee scope, mencus repair, 1/02 L knee scope, realligned patella debrided cartlage damage, 10/02 carticel harvest attemped, failed, 12/02  L knee Fulkerson

support