Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: tender, popping knee, pain always changing  (Read 1031 times)

Offline nickiT

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
tender, popping knee, pain always changing
« on: July 25, 2007, 11:18:29 PM »
A month ago I stumbled awkwardly over the cat, and although it hurt as I stumbled, I did not feel pain directly afterwards. The next morning it felt rather knotted inside when I walked on it but not bad enough to cancel an excercise class, I felt no pain during that class.

Since then I have had terrible trouble with my knee. At first I was getting tingling, pins and needles sensation in my lower leg. The pain was bad when bending it, the knee cap seemed to pop. Especially bad on stairs. Then I started to get shooting needle pains right through my knee, often when simply standing still. A consultant has seen me and said he doesn't think it is damage to meniscus or ACL (or any other ligament), but perhaps a bit of damage to the articular cartilage (the smooth covering on ends of bones). I get days or moments when it feels like its on the mend, only to find it really painful again in the evening or minutes later. The last 3 days have been the most painful, I think due to cycling (which the consultant said I should do). If I just as much as touch the knee on top, it creaks - must be inflamation inside. However it has never visibly swollen.

I now await an MRI on the NHS, but in the meantime I have been looking on the internet, especially at articular cartilage damage, and I do hope it's not that as treatment doesnt look too good, and the word 'osteoarthritis' always seems to follow this section. I find it hard to believe that it can be that as I didn't have a terrible fall or trauma to the knee. Does any of this sound familiar to anyone else?

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: tender, popping knee, pain always changing
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 01:25:17 AM »
You don't have to have an injury to get osteoarthritis. All you have to do is live long enough. Sometimes it's just caused by wear and tear.

support