Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: PCL tear in the knee of a 7 years old boy  (Read 1034 times)

Offline Irina

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
PCL tear in the knee of a 7 years old boy
« on: July 25, 2007, 06:37:08 PM »
Hello everyone,
my 7 years old son torn the PCL in the right knee 2 months ago. The MRI confirmed the diagnosis. The OS that we see now suggested the surgery at first. But later he changed his mind and now he wants to postpone the surgery for 3-4 years, he thinks that now it is too risky because of the growth plates. However, we may insist on the surgery. We are going to get at least two other opinions.

If anyone has something to say about this situation, please do. I am very worried, I know that it is very serious injury and quite rare, especially in such a young boy.

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: PCL tear in the knee of a 7 years old boy
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 06:52:43 PM »
i dont know much about your situation, but here are some informational websites that may provide some insights. also try going to ratemymds.com to see the ratings of a doc that u might go to. (he/she may or may not be on there though)

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_report.cfm?Thread_ID=236
http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/kneeinjuries/a/pcl.htm
http://www.dynomed.com/encyclopedia/encyclopedia/knee_and_lower_leg/Posterior_Cruciate_Ligament_Tear.html

srry that i couldnt do more, but i hope that these help!!

jak
TTT/Lateral Release/Chondroplasty: May 15th, 2009
Brostrom Reconstruction: Oct 16th, 2009

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

Offline Irina

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 02:50:52 PM »
Thank you FindNemo91 for the links.

The situations seems really bad to me. It is actually PCL+LCL tear. So two out of four ligaments are torn. I just can't imagine how it is possible to live a normal life for my son these 3 years before surgery.
I'm just wondering if anyone knows about similar situation. Any advice would be very appreciated.

Offline ex-gymnast

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 08:20:53 PM »
i use to coach gymnastics.  Our "team doctor" a doctor who had a child on the team, suggest bracing for problems like that.  The main reason being that the leg will grow but the repair will not.  When I tore my first ACL at 18 I still had open growth plates.  They waited 2.5 years with me in a brace for my growth plates to close before doing surgery.

If I knew I'd be like this now, I'd do it all again.
1998- Lf ACL replace (failed)
1998- Lf ACL replace (worked)
1998- Rt LR
1999- Rt Scope
2000- Rt ACL replace
2001- Rt hardware replace
2002- Rt Scar Tissue Removal
2005- Rt Pattella Scraped
2009- Rt clean-out the mess
To Come: 2 Replace