Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Sports and Knee Problems  (Read 941 times)

Offline kaci74

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Sports and Knee Problems
« on: July 25, 2007, 03:51:48 AM »
I'm trying to decide when to start hiking, and if I will possibly be able to go back to ski school this winter.  I've seen a general practitioner who has not been able to diagnose my problems.  My PT believes a pair of orthotics (which I will get tomorrow) will solve all of my problems, and an OS who could not see any irregularities in x-rays or the MRI I had after a ski injury this past January. 

Here is what happened:  In January I fell skiing with my feet turned outward.  My ski did not release so I definitely sprained my knee.  A MRI did not show a meniscus tear or a tear of any ligaments.  It was painful to walk initially, but eventually started to feel okay walking.  I still had some pain now and then, which was worse in the evenings.  I could walk up and down stairs with some discomfort but no searing pain.  Then in June, I took a bad step with my leg locked.  There was a burning sensation, and it was painful to walk again.  I did not have a repeat MRI, but x-rays were negative.

My knee has somewhat of a good day here and there, but most of the time it is painful to walk on (especially early in the morning after I first get up and in the evening after a full day of work -- I have an office job).  I hate using my knee pain as an excuse to not do what I love (i.e. hiking and doing cardio kick-boxing) or going for walks.  I know I should listen to my knee, but I think I will always have knee pain and I don't want to be sedentary for the rest of my life.

My questions for you are:  1) how do you tell if you are going too far with a certain activity when pain seems to be the norm rather than the exception, and 2) how do you recover after a sports activity (ice, anti-inflamatory only)?  Do you find bracing helps?  If so, what type of brace would you think I should ask about to my OS? 

I have a TENS unit which I love, but I may have to return tomorrow due to my insurance being changed through my work.  Embarrasingly enough, I have gained a bit of weight since I injured my knee in January from the lack of exercise.  I know that is adding to the cause of the pain.

Thanks in advance!
Kaci

Offline Nick83

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Sports and Knee Problems
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 10:06:14 PM »
Hi there,

I guess I'm not the only one who's buggered their knees from skiing.  Like yourself, my MRI/ x-rays were negative bar patella maltracking.  I have also had some orthotics fitted, but I've only had them in for two days, so I can't really tell you if they're any good yet. With regard to pain, I guess only the individual really knows how much is too much, but ignore it at your peril.  I chose to run through a niggly pain in my knee which has only served to exacerbate the problem.  However, rubbing a couple of ice cubes into the painful area always seems to provide relief.

As far as braces are concerned, a lot of people on here say good things about the don-joy range, although I've never tried them myself.

Good luck.

Offline kaci74

• Regular Poster
Re: Sports and Knee Problems
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 01:44:39 AM »
Hi Nick.  Thanks for your reply.  How are your orthotics working for you?  This is day one for mine, and my knees feel a bit better although my feet hurt a bit.  I'm optimistic, though.  I do plan on going for a short (and easy) hike this weekend with my orthotics and a spare set of shoes in case my feet hurt so much that it throws off my gait.  I'll keep investigating the don-joy braces.  I've heard good things about them as far as braces go, but with the cost I'm not sure if I would do better with investing in more PT.

Thanks!
Kaci

support