Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 9 months of pain  (Read 732 times)

Offline kljschaef

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
9 months of pain
« on: July 24, 2007, 05:56:05 PM »
Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

I was broadsided by a person that ran a stop sign 9 months ago.  As a result I broke my femur in four places, ruptured my patella tendon, tore my pcl and injuries to the brain.

My first surgery was having a rod and screws placed in my femur.  Five days later the surgeon repaired my patella tendon.  Two weeks later I had manipulation under anesthesia so the knee brace would fit correctly.  I have since had the knee scoped and another manipulation to attempt to get flexion.  Unfortunately they could get me to less than 90 degrees so I was forced to have another surgery.  On April 12th I had an open quadricep release and more manipulation.

I have been going to physical therapy through all of this however my insurance plan limits my visits to 20 per year.  When I exceeded this amount by almost double the insurance denied any additional benefits.  For the past month I have been doing the at home, gym exercises my therapist gave me.

Enough about me, now on to my question.  I am still in an extreme amount of pain.  I still limp and I understand that I will never be able to run again.  I have fatty deposits (I do not know how else to explain it) on both sides and the bottom of the knee.  My knee sounds like a popcorn kettle when I bend it.  I am still in the Army Reserve and while I have letters excluding me from a lot of activities, when I attend drill I over work my knee.  For the past two times the next day I was very ill to include nausea.  Could this illness be related to the knee?  My knee also feels a lot of times like it has a fever.

Does anyone have any advise?  I do not want this kind of pain and limitations for the rest of my life but I also do not want to seem like a cry baby if it is normal.

Thank you very much!

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: 9 months of pain
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 07:26:28 PM »
When did you last time see your OS ? Maybe it's time for a new check up. The heat you feel on the knee can have different causes. You can have a ongoing inflammation in their caused by overdoing the knee. Are you iceing when you can after activities ?
Are you in so much pain so you feel sick the days after ?
Have you had any problems with infections after the surgeries `?
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline kljschaef

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 05:40:54 PM »
Nettan,

Thank you very much for your response.  I have read some of your your responses to other people's questions and you seem like a quality person!

I am waiting for my surgeon to return my call.

Thank you again for your response!

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 06:37:18 PM »
Thanks ;D
Please let me know how everything goes.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.