Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: cartilage replacement surgery  (Read 2503 times)

Offline angie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
cartilage replacement surgery
« on: April 26, 2003, 03:28:20 AM »
How do I find out about cartilage replacement surgery and what doctors in the South perform it?  My mother is 74 and has lost cartilage in her left knee.  We found out through x-rays that this is what has happened.  The doctor all but insisted that she have total knee replacement surgery.  Considering her age and weight this is a last resort-VERY LAST RESORT.

Thank you.

Offline oneillii

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
Re: cartilage replacement surgery
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2003, 07:16:25 PM »
Hi Angie

Don't know much about the cartilage replacement sugery, but I can tell you that a 62 year old neighbor of mine had the TKR and is thrilled with it...Also, Sylvia on this board has a lot of good info on it...
arthroscopy 11/06/02

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2003, 03:31:54 PM »
Hi

I can tell you almost certainly that your mother is at an age where most doctors will not consider cartilidge replacement. My dad is 49 now and he had & was told he was bordering on being too old.

A TKR will probably be the best course of action for your mother but if you are unsure it may well be worth your while getting a second opinion.

Iona

Offline neil

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2003, 09:07:36 AM »
 i just went thru biopsy stage to have cartilage replacement.  roughly august will be when implanting will take place, but at any age over 55 i would think an os would go with a tkr instead of carticel, as recovery is slightly quicker, so i am tols. i was told to go slow and expect 16 - 18 months of recovery from cartilage replacement. very invasive surgery for implanting. as far as finding a dr who does cartalige replacement, genzyme is name of company that grows cells and tey also list all the surgeons who perform such  a surgery.   tkr have been around longer then carticel and for someone of your mothers age , she may find the tkr better then carticel. i would never consider tkr last resort, but look at it as the quickest way of getting back to a normal llife. if i had my choice i would have had tkr done when it was first discussed with me, eight months ago. instead i am looking at  more procedures and longer rehab time.
good luck
9-13-02 - present, 4 surgeries to right knee. quad severed, piece of femoral condyle cut off, shaving of patella. had cartilage implant 9-22-03, fluid drain, cultures & manipulation10-21-03

Offline DaveinSC

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • ACI July 03 and just got a new puppy (Westie)
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2003, 03:54:35 AM »
I'm having my ACI (condrocyte implantation) on the 16th and am somewhat nervous. To qualify, the parameters are somewhat strict as not many OS want to perform a somewhat "new" procedure on a potential procedural failure. I'm rather fortunate in that a local news station will be doing a story on my procedure and filming it. At least I feel confident my OS will be on his best....I hope !!! If anyone else has any advise on what to expect...what to prepare with...or anything in the realm of comforting words/ thoughts, please don't hesitate to write...
Dave

support