Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ART or IMS? from patellar tendinosis patient  (Read 1386 times)

Offline april

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
ART or IMS? from patellar tendinosis patient
« on: July 24, 2007, 06:04:32 AM »
Hi everybody,

I am wondering if any of you have had experience with ART (active release techniques) or IMS (intramuscular stimulation). As far as I can gather, they are relatively new techniques, which are offerred at some chiropractic and physiotherapy clinics in addition to more established treatments. I am wondering if it is worth trying.

I'm just starting on my journey on healing/managing patellar tendinopathy. I have seen a sports medicine physician, who recommended more of the same things that weren't working 1 year ago, like physiotherapy and ice. I was also not sure if it is standard practice to diagnose patellar tendinosis without a MRI or ultrasound screen of some sort, to rule out the possibility the pain could be from a partial tear or lesion in the tendon that may need further medical treatment prior to the more rigorous exercises of a physiotherapy program which may cause further damage if it's left unfixed. I can feel that I have lumpiness in the affected tendon, which may be scar tissue, and the fact that I can go for practically 2 months without symptoms, only to have them flareup with a vengeance, gives me the feeling that there is some very stubborn damaged tissue that can stay dormant but isn't healed, and clearly needs help to do so, whether it's through electrical, manual, or other stimulation, because it sure isn't doing it on its own. I'm not looking for a quick fix, I do want to find something that will encourage long-term healing and address the source of the problem.

I became interested in learning more about ART because from what I can gather, ART is supposed to use manual manipulations to break up "adhesions" and scar tissue. IMS is supposed to treat chronic pain through the use of needles.

Offline kaci74

• Regular Poster
Re: ART or IMS? from patellar tendinosis patient
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 02:00:03 AM »
Hi,  I'm not familiar with either of those techniques, but I have used ultrasound and a TENS unit that helped with my patellar tendinitis and other problems pre- and post-surgury.  The TENS unit electrically stimulates the muscle causing the release of tigthness and endorphins.  I have a unit that I use at home which makes it great for treating pain.  I am not fond of needles and would personally find it hard to make a decision to have intramuscular treatments via needle, but I guess it depends on how much pain you are in.  Let me know what you decide and how it works for you.

Good luck!
Kaci

Offline april

• Regular Poster
Re: ART or IMS? from patellar tendinosis patient
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 03:45:51 PM »
Hi,

Just an update... I did get an IMS treatment done. The experience wasn't that bad. Most of the time there was barely any pain associated with the needle pricks. The whole thing took 5-10 minutes. It's been a day since I got it and I haven't had any side effects so far. The purpose of the IMS treatment was to loosen quad muscles which may be pulling excessively on the tendon. I think it would take a lot more time for the tendon to heal even if the irritation from being pulled off centre was removed, so it's far too early to say if this will help my problem.

support