Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Horrible Pain - post-op meniscus removal  (Read 950 times)

Offline bmk007

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Horrible Pain - post-op meniscus removal
« on: July 23, 2007, 03:47:19 PM »
Hello

I am a 33 year old male that had left knee ACL recon (patellar tendon) and meniscus repair in May 2003.  I recovered ok for the most part and returned to running, indoor soccer, and softball. 

In May 2007, I had anthroscopic surgery in that knee to remove some of the meniscus that had re-torn.  I went through PT and my OS gave me the green light to return to sports and do some running now.  I am not a marathon runner, but I like to do a couple 5-K's each summer.  He said it was fine to do that.

I've been trying to get in shape for a 5-K run in mid-August.  I've been hitting the gym 4X a week.  My running activities are basically treadmill or track runs.  I have now been experiencing unbelievable pain in my left knee.  I am at the point where I am unable to run or walk fast without excruciating pain.  It's as if my knee will just crack into a million pieces.

Obviously common sense tells me not to run and I have stopped.  However, is this type of pain common 2 months out from an arthroscopic procedure like that?  Is the OS crazy for telling me I could resume recreational running?

Thank you in advance for any advice and thanks for listening to my story.
L ACL recon (pt) 5/8/03
L meniscus repair 5/8/03
L meniscus removal 5/9/07

Offline knee-will-be-great

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Open-wedge HTO & ACL allograft done (YES!)
    • ACL Allograft #3 Post-Surgery Rehab/Wellness Diary
Re: Horrible Pain - post-op meniscus removal
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 06:25:36 PM »
HI,

I feel bad that you are experiencing awful pain.  Been here, done that ...

Check how much of the meniscus has been removed.  It may be that you are bone on bone in some areas of the knee - or it may be that you need more time for rehabilitation - as all knees and their owners are different.  Or that asymptomatic osteoarthritis has become symptomatic - or you may have some bone spurs (ostephytes) forming in the joint (they are painful) - or you may have some loose bodies floating around in the joint (i.e. cartilage pieces) - or a combination of all of the above - or something undetermined.  Please note that I am not diagnosing, just making suggestions based on my crap knee background - okay? :)

The type of pain you are experiencing may be similar to pain I recently experienced when my asymptomatic osteoarthritis become symptomatic again after a particularly rigorous physiotherapy session pursuant to ACLr #3.  I had a medial menisectomy/ACL cut out 31 years ago and the knee has been problematic ever since. 

Even though we injure our knee cartilage and those precious menisci, we need the menisci to keep the joint well-cushioned when we exercise.

I would go to see the OS and ask that s/he review your xrays ans MRI(s) -and show you what amount of your meniscus was removed. 

I would then determine (in consultation with this OS or another) as to where you could find an OS experienced in replacing part of your meniscus - if that is what you consider could be an option.  Wouln't hurt to look into it.   

Steadman-Hawkins (Vail,Colorado) and Dr. Kevin Stone of the Stone Clinic (San Fransisco) have expertise in this field - as does Dr. Brian Cole (Chicago). 

Without a meniscus - or some menisal wear and tear and part of the meniscus removed, you may have to opt for a high tibial osteotomy to change the forces in your joint and rebalance the joint so as to take the weight-bearing load off of the meniscal-deficient area and shift the weight onto a more cartilage-intact area of your knee.

Also, perhaps go to see an OS who is into sports medicine as a discipline.

In any event, you need to get to the bottom of this - and fast.  At least that is my humble opinion.

Cheers to you and your knee!

KWBG!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 09:39:29 PM by knee-will-be-great »
Medial Menisectomy, 1 ACL Autograft, 3 ACL Allografts, HTO, numerous debridements, good now :)
ACL Allograft #3 Post-Surgery Rehab/Wellness Diary http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37218.0;all
ACL Reconstruction VIDEOS http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37773.0

support