Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: wear and tear!!  (Read 854 times)

Offline sloth

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
wear and tear!!
« on: July 23, 2007, 02:06:21 PM »
 hi guys i am new to this so please bear with me,

i am 30 years old and have always been active, i have played footbal andl rugby and for the last 20 years and have taken up running. i ran the london mararthon 2006.
about 5 years ago i dislocated my right knee playing football and was in plaster from hip to foot for about 5 weeks, after that i had physio and my knee was never "right". i went and had my knee looked at at the hospital about 8mths ago and they did the key hole surgery thing for a look. they told me i had torn my menicus and they sorted that for me, however they said there was wear and tear in the knee which could be why it was swelling after exercise and i sometime suffered pain.
there advice was to pack in the running and sport.
this left me feeling really really low as sport is a BIG part of my life, i have stopped playing contact sport and only do a little running which seems to be ok. however i seem to have a permanent swelling on the outside of my right knee, its not really sore but is allways there.
can anyone shed anylight on this or have any advice re running or if i should pack up all together. is it possible to still run distance with a bad knee or am i asking for trouble.....Thank you!!!!!!!

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: wear and tear!!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 04:02:58 PM »
You're asking for trouble. Wear and tear = degeneration = arthritis. The more you  beat on your poor knee the faster it will degenerate. On the upside, biking and swimming is great for knees.

Offline knee-will-be-great

• Forum Faithful
  • Open-wedge HTO & ACL allograft done (YES!)
    • ACL Allograft #3 Post-Surgery Rehab/Wellness Diary
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 06:10:40 PM »
Hi,

RE: outside swelling of right knee = swelling due to osteoarthritic changes perhaps - or some element of joint laxity which results in the knee jiggling - which results in the knee becoming swollen when used.

RE: Running

I second Jathib's comments. 

Running will cause you further problems.  Get your OS to explain your MRI(s) and your xrays to you so that you can visualise the extent of wear and tear that your have - and find alternative sports to running.

Sooner or later the knees will protest even more and more with the pounding of running in your exercise repetoire.  Been there - done that!

Cheers from KWBG
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 07:48:34 PM by knee-will-be-great »
Medial Menisectomy, 1 ACL Autograft, 3 ACL Allografts, HTO, numerous debridements, good now :)
ACL Allograft #3 Post-Surgery Rehab/Wellness Diary http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37218.0;all
ACL Reconstruction VIDEOS http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37773.0

Offline costumer

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 03:11:55 AM »
My sister, in her 40s?, took up running. she loved it! she even entered the Boston Marathon one time. But her knees started to hurt, when they never did before (don't think she did anything otherwise traumatic, not sure). Turns out that she's now bone-on-bone, but now in her early 50s they tell her she's too young for replacements - and that it was all the running that made everything degenerate (pounding on the hard road). she had synvisc shots and she's doing fine. She said the first year was rough, but now she doesn't have any trouble at all. She asked her OS about any limitations, and he told her she should be able to do anything except run. Of course, this bummer her out because she loved running. He told her if she felt strong enough to go ahead and try - she did, and hurt so bad!!! So, she's given up the running and has no other pain (lucky her).

If you really want to stay active, there are other activities you can do besides running, try some of those.

-Judy
Dx: bi-lat subluxating patellae w/chondromalacia 4/1977
6/78 LR - LK
1/80 TTT-Hauser LK; 12/80 Proximal Realignment Mystery- RK
1/82 Maquet TTT- LK
11/06 Meniscectomy; Mild OA- RK, 12/06 Meniscectomy; Mod OA- LK
3/07 Bi-lat severe arthritis
9/18/07 bi-lat TKR

trainwreck

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 03:47:11 AM »
I think running is a really, really bad idea.  I have had to give up a lot of sports I loved but the pain and surgeries got to be too much.  I have found other sports I enjoy.  They aren't my first choice but still bring me joy.  You have to decide for yourself but i guarantee running will hurt you bad.
Good Luck sorry about the negative feedback but I am being honest.
Trainwreck