Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Infection Post-Screw Removal  (Read 870 times)

Offline lb573

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Infection Post-Screw Removal
« on: July 22, 2007, 08:54:30 PM »
Hi all, well i am currently taking antibiotics for a post-op infection (had screw removal July 11 - from a TTT), and i am not sure how long they are supposed to take to show their effect. My incision looks better than it did in that the pus drainage is no longer there, however when i took the bandage off this morning there was a small amount of drainage from the lower part of the incision (sort of an orangey color??). Also there is a hole in the bottom of it? There is something sticking out of it but it does not resemble a stitch at all. There is no active drainage from this hole, but nonetheless there is this hole. The site is not as hot and red as it was prior to starting the antibiotics, but i am kind of worried about this hole and persisting pain in the incision. Also further up the incision it looks as though it has healed a bit more, but the 'scab' is kind of greenish in color and appears to have pus dried into it?? Initially i went to the ER with the infection, but at that time this hole was not present...should i be calling my OS tomorrow? Right now i have put some bandaids with polysporin over the incision. Anything else i should be doing? Sorry if this post is a bit to graphic, i am just kind of worried about this. Thanks for anything,

Leah
27 yo RN
L Knee:
07/'01 - scope
01/'02 - scope
12/'03 - LR
07/28/2006 - TTT/LR/Patellar Debridement
07/11/2007 - Screw Removal
R Knee:
07/06/2007 - Patellar dislocation
04/10/2008 - TTT/LR
06/11/2008 - MCL tear, Bone Bruise
09/29/2009 - Medial plication/reconstruction/debridement

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: Infection Post-Screw Removal
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 10:23:44 PM »
Is your whole joint infected or is it just a stitch abscess? There's a big difference between the two. I had a stitch abscess after my PKR. The doctor had to squeeze all the puss and blood out of it twice and I had two rounds of anti-biotics to go with it. The stuff sticking out probably is a stitch. Mine finally closed when I squeezed it one day and the final piece of stitch popped out. My body does not like stitches. The whole process took six weeks. You should be doing whatever your doctor tells you to do and nothing else. My doctor told me if it wasn't better in so many days to call him. When I did call he told me to come right in immediately. The day after my incision finally closed was my last chance. The next day my doctor was going to open me up again and wash out the whole incision. Luckily, when I got to his office he said it looked like it was going to heal.

Yeah, the green stuff is just dried puss.

support