Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: New to site - EXTREMELY confused with MRI impression - can someone help?  (Read 7553 times)

Offline kzak4151

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Good Morning - I am hoping that someone can help me with my MRI results.  It is all foreign to me.  My left knee began locking towards the end of May.  Xray - showed nothing.  Started wearing Patella Stabalizer brace and PT 3 times weekly beginning of June.  Swim therapy 2 times weekly for 2 weeks.  A week ago, PT contacted Ortho doc and told him that I was getting worse - not better.  Went to see him - I was more swollen, tender, lots of popping, etc...  MRI done Thursday.

Impression:  Mild cartilage abnormalities involving the medial compartment.  MIld degenerative signal within lateral meniscus without evidence for tear.  Very small joint effusion.

Menisci:  there is intrasubstance degenerative signal within both anterior and posterior horns of the lateral meniscus.  The medial meniscus is intact.

Articular cartilage:  degenerative fissuring involving the articular surface of the medial femoral condyle is noted, with minimal focal underlying subchondral edema.  There is focal cartilage defect involving the far posterior medial femoral condyle with a small osteophyte.  The lateral and patellofemoral compartment articular cartilage is preserved.

Joint fluid and synovium:  There is a small joint effusion

Bone Marrow:  no marrow replacement process.

What in the world does all of this mean?  Normal?  Wear brace and continue PT?  Just deal with it?  Surgery?  Please help!!!! :-\

Thank you!

Offline costumer

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Hi Kzak,

This is what it sounds to me like it's saying:

"Impression:  Mild cartilage abnormalities involving the medial compartment.  MIld degenerative signal within lateral meniscus without evidence for tear.  Very small joint effusion."

most of the trouble is with the cartilege on the in-side of the knee (the medial side).  the out-side (lateral) is degenerating, but hasn't torn, you  have a little swelling in the joint.

"Menisci:  there is intrasubstance degenerative signal within both anterior and posterior horns of the lateral meniscus.  The medial meniscus is intact."

Ok, you gotta understand that each knee has 2 menisci on the top of the tibia which help hold the femur in place- they are shapped like C's facing each other. The top end of each C is toward the front and called 'anterior horn' and the bottom end is toward the back and called 'posterior horn' - the middle is called the body. The one toward the inner side of your knee is the medial meniscus, the one toward the outside of your knee is the lateral meniscus. So both ends of the outside/lateral meniscus are degenerating (although apparently not torn), but the inner side is ok.

"Articular cartilage:  degenerative fissuring involving the articular surface of the medial femoral condyle is noted, with minimal focal underlying subchondral edema.  There is focal cartilage defect involving the far posterior medial femoral condyle with a small osteophyte.  The lateral and patellofemoral compartment articular cartilage is preserved."

Articular cartilage is like a teflon coating of the ends of the bones and the patella. The 'medial femoral condyle' is the inner-side big knob at the lower end of your femur (those big knobs let your femur roll on the flat tibia so that you can bend at the knee). apparently yours is developing some cracking in it's protective coating. 'Subchondral' means below the cartilage - you have minor edema/fluid buildup beneath the cartilage.

"Joint fluid and synovium:  There is a small joint effusion"

You have some swelling in the joint.

"Bone Marrow:  no marrow replacement process."

Can't help you there.

"What in the world does all of this mean?  Normal?  Wear brace and continue PT?  Just deal with it?  Surgery?  Please help!!!!"

ah, now that you need to talk to your OS about. They'll give you suggestions whether meds will help, or if you need something else. From the soundof it, the PT is aggravating things. Xrays only show hard boney & metal things, and the space between the bones. It isn't very good for soft tissue like cartilage or muscles - that's why they use MRIs or sometimes CATscans. And when a meniscus degenerates and tears, it looks a lot liek a shag rug or fur! so it's getting all rough in there.

Hope this helps some, you need to talk with your OS.

-Judy
Dx: bi-lat subluxating patellae w/chondromalacia 4/1977
6/78 LR - LK
1/80 TTT-Hauser LK; 12/80 Proximal Realignment Mystery- RK
1/82 Maquet TTT- LK
11/06 Meniscectomy; Mild OA- RK, 12/06 Meniscectomy; Mod OA- LK
3/07 Bi-lat severe arthritis
9/18/07 bi-lat TKR

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
intersubstance degeneration is just that, it's inside of the mensicus and they won't do anything surgically for that in particular, as the meniscus is still doing it's job, just not at 100% I have an injury like that to the posterior horn of my medial meniscus but it's just going to be left for the time being.
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

support