Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: weird spasm - any ideas?  (Read 1086 times)

Offline rrg091

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
weird spasm - any ideas?
« on: July 22, 2007, 01:37:40 AM »
hey - i'm not sure if this is anything significant but i just thought i'd see if anyone has had anything similar:
this morning i was sitting at my desk and had my usual knees-elevated legs propped up position, then i suddenly got a sharp, stabbing pain on the inside (as in the left) of my right foot. i bent forward a bit at the pain, then about a second after my foot started, i got the same kind of stabbing pain in my right hip. the next second my thigh, right above my knee hurt really bad, my whole thigh started tightening and then had a HUGE spasm - my whole right leg actually kicked up! the rest of the day, my right side has been in more pain than my left (i was driving just into town earlier, and everytime i moved my foot from the gas to the break or vice versa, it was like a knife was stabbing up under my kneecap. right now the pain is at its normal level and doesn't seem any worse than the left side, however, i've been resting them both all evening.
any ideas or am i just making nothing into a big deal?
thanks for any suggestions
rrg :)

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: weird spasm - any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 11:03:02 AM »
Muscle spasms can be caused by dehydration or a lack of potassium.  If I were you, I'd make sure I wasn't dehydrated and that I was getting enough potassium first... that would be my first course of action. Amazingly like 80% of the population is walking around dehydrated and doesn't even know it.. 8 glasses a day of water is just enough... you should have the 8 glasses plus all the other fluids you drink throughout the day.. especially for coffee drinkers, as it causes you to become dehydrated.

I know when i'm starting to get dehydrated because I get muscle spasms in my feet and calves.

Maybe this will help.. otherwise I have no idea.
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline kzak4151

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 11:23:09 AM »
Good Morning -

I see that you aren't even 20 yet right? Why do you prop up your legs? 

Do you ever get the pain running in the back of your leg - sort of like "lightening strikes"?  Any problems with your leg/legs when you are trying to fall asleep?  Weakening? 

kz

Offline rrg091

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 06:04:07 PM »
hey kz -
you're correct, i'm 19 until february. :) My GP and PTs have all suggested R.I.C.E. so thats why i prop/elevate them.
no i don't have pain in the back of my legs, however, i have gotten pains running elsewhere in my legs that felt like electrical shocks. i mentioned them to my GP before. Since he switched me to piroxicam in May, I haven't gotten any of the shocks. As for falling asleep - I don't know that i have specific problems to that, but it is hard to sleep. its difficult to find a good position and then not move, and sometimes even if i don't move i'll get sharp pains. (i think i'd be better if i'd just sleep on my back, but i'm a stubborn side-sleeper to the end :)) I can't really tell a huge strength decrease, but there's some fatigue all around. i just attributed that to being worn out from the pain and lack of sleep.
You seemed like you might have had an idea - does that help?

thanks! rrg

Offline kzak4151

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 11:39:09 AM »
Good Morning RRG:

What in the world is R.I.C.E?  I'm familiar with alot of medical terms - but not that one!~

The lightening strike feeling in your legs - when does it happen?  Driving? standing? walking? sitting? all of the mentioned?

When you are trying to fall asleep do your legs feel like they want to dance the jig, but the upper body is absolutely exhausted?

How is your hand grip?  When blow drying your hair - do they fall asleep?  Tingle?  How is your memory?  Concentration?

You mentioned that you are fatigued - it may not be just because of the lack of sleep.

Do you get cold sores?  Fever blisters?  Yes...I know that i'm really being nosey here - but IF you get some of these, then you may definitely want to go see a neurologist.  I fought and fought for well over a year.  They actually had me believing that I was 1/2 crazy and it was all in my head, until they did a brain MRI with and without contrast and discovered that I had MS.  I was diagnosed in 2003 and said I've had it since 1998.  It isn't a death wish by any means.  Just means your life will change (sounds like it already has) and there are meds out there to help.

You can email me at [email protected] if you want.

kz

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 12:11:08 PM »
hi there r.i.c.e is...rest,ice,compress and elevate!!
i had a motorcycle accident-landed on right knee!(mar 05)
...arthroscopy - 4th feb 06.
...VMO Advancement,LR+JMedial reefing - 24th jan 07.
...28 feb 07 i fell down 14 stairs.....more pain and stress!
...now at PT working on ROM and strenghening

Offline rrg091

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 08:16:15 PM »
hey kz -
yea my pains are super random and can be brought on by moving or just by sitting still, but when trying to sleep my legs never feel like dancing so much. i get twitches in my thighs  (its usually a couple seconds long, fast twitches so it almost feels like a vibration). no problems with grip, my hands and feet fall asleep a lot, but i have raynound's phenomenon (sp?) which basically means my body thinks a cool breeze is a sign of artic freezing and tries to push blood to my heart and brain from my extremeties. and i get cold sores about once a year - but my mom and grandma get the annual "herpes" too (as we call it) so i don't know that its specific to me.
thanks so much for the info though! i'm going to see my GP this monday (finally!!) and hopefully he can send me in the right direction - i've gotten a couple ideas from here already, but i'll add that one on too and see what he says. i'll keep you posted

rrg