Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACI at 19 Months  (Read 2056 times)

Offline PJS

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
ACI at 19 Months
« on: April 29, 2003, 03:49:57 PM »
All ACI patients,

Just a quick update to give encouragement to those unfortunate souls who are battling through ACI rehabilitation.    I am now 19 months post operation and have almost completely forgotten about my right knee.  Recently started playing tennis for the first time and absolutely no problems what so ever with the knee.   I have no clicking, no swelling, no pain and finally both knees are looking similar in appearance, of course except the scar on the right knee.    It has been a long hard slog with the rehab with many ups and downs and I still know that I will have to take it easy for the next six months, until I pass the two year mark.

I hope this gives some comfort to others that it can be a long hard road but worth it at the end.

regards

Offline NJC

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: ACI at 19 Months
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2003, 05:58:12 PM »
Great story and congrats on the hard work and your success!  What was the original diagnosis for you (why did you have ACI).  I am new to this technique.  Recently dx'ed with a 1 cm chondral defect (4 yr post-op ACL reconstruction.  

Good luck to you and thanks for the words of encouragement! ;D
Complete Rupture ACL; 1999 ACL Allograft Reconstruction; 2003 Femoral Chondyle Defect

Offline PJS

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: ACI at 19 Months
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2003, 06:27:31 PM »
NJC,

I had a 4cm2 defect to the medial femoral condyle that gave me knee instability.  I had no pain but started to experience catch.   I decided to go for the opeartion before any arthritis set in which can make you a non candidate and also my age (40's) was on the wrong side of forty.      I could easily have elected not to have the operation, but then where would I be now?

Hope this helps and it is not an operation one should select unless serious study has been undertaken of the rehabilitation protocol and overall impact to one's life, and as important, the impact to others including home life and impact to work life.    It is something I would not want to go through again.

regards

support