Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: leg pain after acl reconstruction  (Read 3075 times)

Offline namath

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
leg pain after acl reconstruction
« on: July 20, 2007, 07:06:51 AM »
january 2007 i had acl reconstruction surgery - in march i notice increasing pain in the front of calf with numbness and creepy crawleys, and shooting pain.  since then i have been given pain med and neurotin (sp) along with physical therapy.   dr doesn't seem to want to see me, has sent me to the pain clinic.   they in turn have sent me back to the physical therapist - today physical therapist suggests I call the pain clinic again to tell them the neurotin isn't working.  I'm curious as to what this is - no one will really say !!! any one else have this problem.  seems to be getting worse. thanks for any help with this

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 213
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: leg pain after acl reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 07:18:06 AM »
Hi

A second opinion should be obtained - dont be fobbed off.

Best wishes

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline bungleg

• Regular Poster
  • my tpf hardware
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 07:28:28 AM »
I had the creepy crawlys running all the way down the back of my good leg from the the top (buttoch) down the back of the leg and to my toes that was 12 months ago then recently i had them on the outer thigh of my inj leg,like ants crawling on me, both times it was caused by my back ,because I limped to much ,physio worked on my back both times and after three sessions each time it went away ,also got back pain at the same time.
just a possability
rick.
30/08/05 tpf, plate 8 screws and bone graft, pivot brace 5degs movment, 12weeks nwb, pt, leg stuck at 45deg
30/11/05 got leg straight phone books came in handy,rom 60degs,hydro,pt, start wb increase 10kg per week
01/03/06 full wb rom 95
may 06 rom 110
nov 06 screws + plate removed arthroscopy

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 09:23:46 AM »
Hi there,

I'd definitely seek another opinion. Often pain management is a cope out !! My knee surgeon always steers away from sending patients to a pain management clinic.  Doesn't sound like it's dealing with your problem.

Good luck !!!  :)
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline ex-gymnast

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 11:28:53 PM »
did you have a patella replacement.  My first ACL was a patella and 9 years later I still have the same problems.  They tell me it is tendonitist where the cut the tendon to reconstruct my ACL.  Dang surgery didn't even work.  So besides the creepy crawls I had to go through another surgery as well.

Becky
If I knew I'd be like this now, I'd do it all again.
1998- Lf ACL replace (failed)
1998- Lf ACL replace (worked)
1998- Rt LR
1999- Rt Scope
2000- Rt ACL replace
2001- Rt hardware replace
2002- Rt Scar Tissue Removal
2005- Rt Pattella Scraped
2009- Rt clean-out the mess
To Come: 2 Replace

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 03:01:35 AM »
Where's the front of the calf? The shin? Funny sensations in the leg are pretty normal after surgery. All kinds of nerves and things are getting messed with. But at six weeks post-op you should still be under the care of your OS. Instead of calling him make an appointment. That's what I do when I want my doctor's undivided attention.

Offline namath

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 04:05:55 AM »
did you have a patella replacement.  My first ACL was a patella and 9 years later I still have the same problems.  They tell me it is tendonitist where the cut the tendon to reconstruct my ACL.  Dang surgery didn't even work.  So besides the creepy crawls I had to go through another surgery as well.

Becky

no i did not have a patella replacement.   i had my first knee surgery 30 years ago - huge ugly scar for miniscus repair and clean torn cartilage - knew then i had acl problems - but they didn't do much then for them.  (old highschool basketball injury).  so the surgery in january was an acl reconstruction using donor hamstring, also miniscus repair. I don't have any knee pain, all my pain is in the area below my scar and on the shin area - and spreading onto the ankle and outside of foot. - along with the pain, creepy crawleys i also have swelling from below knee to outside of foot.  the pain clinic drs seem to think its nerve related.  - will i have to live with this forever?

support