Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Supartz injection question  (Read 6783 times)

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Supartz injection question
« on: May 27, 2011, 08:13:33 PM »
My question is why do Dr's continue to use these injections when they are not working. My OS has suggested Supartz to help get me along for a while until replacement. I have had the Synvisc before and all it did was swell me up for a few days and my knee continued to worsen after the shot. I had a scope after that which was unsucessfull. And then was given a cortizone injection and had same reaction, so got another scope. Had a cortizone injection again after last scope and it did nothing, and I swelled. Now he is putting Supartz in my knee. I had one injection last Tuesday and it has made me swell and I have more pain down the calf of my leg then before the shot. I am suppose to go back next Tues. for another, a total of 5 in all. I am apprehensive about going for the next one. This injection was the most painful one I have had so far and the pain lingered for a while and now once again I am no better, but actually worse. Anyone have this experience and the injection actually ended up working? I am truely considering no more shots. However I have no other treatment options as I am young and replacement is the next step.
Right leg amputee.
Osteoarthritis in left knee.
Medial femoral condyle defect, arthoscopy 8-2-10
Grade 3 defects, patella, medial femoral condyle, tibia scoped1-12-2011
Physical theraphy and awaiting microfrature 2-1-12

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Re: Supartz injection question
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 09:59:23 PM »
Hey there.  I had Supartz and it did help a bit, not enough for me to try it again, but it did help some.  It did not help for long though as things were just to degenerated in there.  I think docs want to try this route as it does not preclude surgery.  That it is not a surgical intervention so nothing much is lost or would affect a future surgery.  I also think they feel like they need to try something for your pain.  My knee swelled more after the shots too, but usually only for a day or two.  It felt full and sore for a bit.  I hope you get something out of it.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 08:58:55 PM »
Thank You! I guess if I got even a little relief it would be worth it. I had the second shot on Tues. so far just more swelling. No relief yet!
Right leg amputee.

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 09:52:02 PM »
Thought I would update for anyone wondering about these shots. I had the 5th shot yesterday and so far nothing but some extra swelling from the shot. My advice for people thinking about getting these is, if your knee only has some slight damage it would be worth trying to see if you get relief. But, for those of us who have severe damage it is a complete waste of time. Not to mention these shots are very painful during the injection and even after for a few days. This last one took a whole 2 minutes for her to inject, she said that happens sometimes with the last two shots because that stuff binds up in there, so they can't get it in. It hurt so bad I almost passed out. Do not recommend these to anyone. I will never be getting any kind of shot in my knee again, because all any of them have ever done for me is cause more pain from the swelling.
Right leg amputee.

Offline helenhelen

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 07:52:16 PM »
i posted about my experience with durolane shots (similar to supartz, i think - hyaluronic acid, right?).. check that thread.

lots of pain and swelling after, and inability to walk. now one month later and my knees are back where i started (more or less). i keep hoping imrpovement will still come but ii'm not sure..

if it doesn't work at all, that is about $750 down the drain.

Offline Georgiana

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 03:39:39 PM »
Kimberly thank you for posting. I am sorry things are not better for you now but it has certainly helped me to decide that I will be crossing this one off the list. It's hard to find people who have had a positive experience with any of the injections. It seems to make things worse and then only brings them back to pre-injection stage. I will continue my research and again I am sorry you didn't have a better outcome.

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 05:28:37 PM »
Glad I could help! I didn't get any relief from them just more pain. My knee actually is geting worse day by day. The catching and locking I had before the scopes is back again and lots of swelling. Don't know if the shots had anything to do with the worsening but they surely didn't help me at all.
Right leg amputee.

support