Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Orthovisc injection story  (Read 43794 times)

Offline dmax5705

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Orthovisc injection story
« on: July 20, 2007, 12:19:11 AM »
been watching this board for everyone's feedback on their injections so thought I should post mine.
My history is 2 meniscus repair surgeries (rt knee) and 2 years of "rehab" have left me able to run  just ok
but not get back to playing soccer regularly without build up of pain and swelling that eventually forces me to stop
for a few weeks. Xray show I have good separation in my right knee. 45yrs old. male.

Doc finally recommended  orthovisc (or synvisc) to see how it works. Ordered orthovisc from canada to save major $$$.

1st injection was 2 days ago and I do notice a difference. I have not played soccer yet which will
be the toughest test but my knee now moves more fluidly running, pain is lessen as well. One other litmus
test has been the quad stretch [where one pulls your foot back toward your buttocks]. I can get a little
futher, maybe total 5-6in away, but the main difference is when I release after 15secs..... Up until 3 days
ago I would release and my knee would need to time to uncoil slowly with discomfort. Now, the knee
uncoils almost as easily as my "good" knee (good being a relative term). This is a definite difference
as I've never been able to do that. I have had on rare occasions felt good running but never uncoiling
from this stretch.

Overall I am very hopefully after only 1 injection. I do not know if this will do the trick for soccer or not
but we'll see.

The injection itself was barely noticeable and I did not feel in heaviness in the joint. I did run a mile on
the treadmill and 20min on bike about 3 hrs after. no issues. ran(20mins),bike(20mins) next morning and 2 days later and
still seems fine although had a slight pain below kneecap for about 0.25miles. run motion still much more fluid.

I'll post more over next few weeks.
dMax

Offline dmax5705

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Orthovisc injection story
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 07:46:24 PM »
7/23/07: Its been a very good 6 days. Rt knee seems to continue to feel good although I would not say it has improved much since Day 1 which means that the improvement I saw from the 1st injection happened within 24hrs and has stayed the same. However, I have been running 2-3 miles at sub8min/mile pace. biking for 20mins hard, and weightlifting including doing 420lb leg press. Quad stretches still remain very good as I now I feel like I am actually stretching my quad instead of hitting the wall of my knee's resistance to bending. Have not played soccer but hope to start around Day 10-12 (after 2nd injection but before 3rd injection).
dMax

Offline dmax5705

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 09:25:23 PM »
7/25/07: Had my 2nd injection and this time it was sort of uncomfortable but not too bad. Felt some pressure as it went in.

In the 36hr since my knee is still feeling good but perhaps not quite as good as day 2-6. Quad stretches are still going well. running still feels better.

Overall, a very good improvement since before the 1st injection but perhaps off of its peak improvement? Have not played soccer which will be the toughest test but plan to this weekend.
dMax

Offline dmax5705

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 07:51:47 PM »
Prior to 3rd injection on 7/31 I played soccer and it did not go well.
I did not use any NSAIDs. Knee just hurt and did not feel comfortable
sprinting and cutting. Usually this meant my knee would get nice
and swollen by that night or next day but it didn't....so at least thats something?
7/31: had the 3rd injection. no pain or anything. Since then I continue to run,
bike, swim, wieghtlift.
Overall my knee does feel better and more fluid. It can bend more as well.
thats all good. If also never aches at night, thats even better.
I still don't know if it will ever really let me play soccer but so far for everyday
life and running, etc it has seemed to help during this 4 weeks.
I'll post again in another few weeks as hopefully the knee will continue to improve.
dMax

Offline dmax5705

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 09:28:27 PM »
1 month has passed since my last injection of Orthovisc. My range of motion is much improved. My quad stretch is actually a quad stretch still and not limited by knee i think. My knee feels much more fluid than it ever has in the past 3 years when running hard. I have only played soccer 3 times since and while I have not been able to play discomfort free I have not gotten any swelling after either. In all, I still think I have seen some improvement over the past 1 month. My knee is at the point where I think the $250 out of pocket has been worth it. If I can play soccer better then it will be well worth it.
I'll check back in another month or so.
dMax

Offline DeniseC

• Regular Poster
  • Life is good.
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 06:49:51 AM »
Hi dmax - Good for you!  Sheesh, running and playing soccer.  Well done.  Glad to know that the injections were so effective.  Yes, well worth $250.  Keep doing well.
1/2005 first meniscectomy
6/2005 second one
severe osteoarthritis both knees
10/06 Hyalgen injection series
8/07 Synvisc injections
Pain meds, exercise, massage!
2/27/08 bilateral TKR's plus a bonus emergency arterial graft
5/14/08 doing better, ROM R124 and L138!

Offline whitey85

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 07:48:43 PM »
hi dmax...
i know it's been awhile since you posted..but i thought i would check in to see how it was going?  i have a similar history...44yrs. old...runner, soccer...2 surgeries...but i know it is bone on bone...and i was going to have an osteotomy..but the lateral side was found to also be over 75% worn down...they told me the only option left was  a TKR...but for now, they suggested the orthovisc..
I have not been able to run a step for over a year...soccer is out of the question :(...that is what i miss the most.  My damage might be worse than yours...but anyway..i am starting my series on the 24th..we shall see.
hope yours is still feeling ok!

Offline dmax5705

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 02:51:14 AM »
been a long time since I updated this. Pretty much the same story. I have been able to return to soccer & some running (I usually try spinning/biking in between more often). It certainly seems they have helped as this last 6 months has been much better than any previous 6 months the past 4 years. I also went back and had another round of injections in January just to be on the safe side. For those I did not notice much difference really but then again I was at a much better spot.

whitey85, as for soccer I try to not kick the ball real hard with my right unless I really have to. that also seemed to help minimize post game/practice swelling. however, i am slowly building that back up to no self imposed restrictions and maybe its going ok. Don't know if this will help you as running is a problem for you at this point. good luck w/orthovisc, hope it improves things for you.
dMax

Offline whitey85

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 02:16:49 PM »
hi dmax...thanks for the reply.  i have not been back on the site in a bit.  I finished my injections a few weeks ago....not much difference yet :(  i've been trying to get to the gym 5 days a week but am limited to the elliptical machine...not quite the same as running...and  I still get pain.   I do not think I will ever see any running again...two steps of pounding and ouch!  oh well... i'll try to post here when  i get a chance.... i'm glad you seem to be having some success.  Good luck with soccer etc ;D

whitey

Offline moon

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 04:07:10 PM »
the one thing i would like to add about the injections( beside being a knee saver for me) is that my dr. knows me, all to well, after injections some go on with their day, he had me go home, , take the afternoon off, elevate, ice, let the goo set in and find a new home in the joints, i found as usuall my OS was right on the money, they seemed to last longer and give better results, hope the hint can help some of you who are going through the injections, moon
bilateral-uni,s  4/14/08

Offline dmax5705

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 11:25:34 PM »
After injections in Jan 2008, things went well. running, playing soccer. overall ok with knee.
in mid may is started to worsen however. kept on exercising but needed more advil, etc to manage pain/swelling.
Am starting a new round of Orthovisc treatments as they seem effective for me but I apparently need
to move from every 5-6 months to every 4-5 months.
dMax

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 03:09:22 AM »
:)  I am glad it is working for you.

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
  • live well laugh often love much and play hard
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 01:10:57 AM »
Can you have orthovisc injects more frequently than synvisc injectins. I was told after 6months from last shot.
dislocated patella and chopped off most of chondal 1985
chondroplasty/medial meniscus repair 1996
ACI  quater size defect-surgery failure
lateral meniscus repair2002
chondroplasty, lateral Meniscectomy2006
synvisc & orthovisc injections 2008/2009
drained and cortizone injection 2008

Offline dmax5705

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 12:21:04 AM »
At my last visit I asked my doc if I can just show up every 4-5 months
to get the orthovisc injections and he agreed since they seem to be working for
me and I am now on my 3rd round. I don't know if synvisc should be any
different than orthovisc in that regard but I am no doctor  :D

anyway, tomorrow is my last visit for this series of orthovisc treatments.
dMax

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
  • live well laugh often love much and play hard
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 01:12:16 AM »
I'm now trying the orthovisc injections. I had 2 series of synvics. The second series I had some strange reactions so my doc decided not to do the last shot. I had no relief infact I am worse off then I was last year. I'm crossing my fingers orthovisc works better. Has anyone had synvisc and orthorvics? And what was your experience if you had both. Thanks
dislocated patella and chopped off most of chondal 1985
chondroplasty/medial meniscus repair 1996
ACI  quater size defect-surgery failure
lateral meniscus repair2002
chondroplasty, lateral Meniscectomy2006
synvisc & orthovisc injections 2008/2009
drained and cortizone injection 2008

support