Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Hardware Removal  (Read 945 times)

Offline JEWLS122

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hardware Removal
« on: July 19, 2007, 08:06:33 PM »
Hi,
I am due for Hardware removal in August I broke my patella in Jan 07. I was told that the O/S will have to recut and go thru the old incision my question is what is the down time with something like this? He will also be manipulating my leg due to scar tissue build up and i will be going back to P/T please let me know

Thanks
Julie

Offline kimmyxs

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
Re: Hardware Removal
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 01:13:03 AM »
I broke my patella in June 06 and had the hardware removed in Jan of 06.  I know, 6 months was quick, but I had dislocations to contend with as well.  You are correct, my OS went back into via the original incision site.  It was a bit shorter, but not by much.  However at the same time I had a VMO advancement, debridment and LR done at the same time.  Because of the VMO Advancement, I went back into a brace for another 6 weeks, which sucked.  Long story though, I was completeed with PT in 10 weeks and my patella stays in place now.  The best thing was that the screws were no longer catching and scar tissue released.  My incision was glued and seri-stripped, no stiitches except for the scope sites (which you won't have).  I am told that had it just been a screw removal that I would be only out a week.  It was the best thing I did!
6/03/89 - First Knee Cap Disclocation
7/05/89 - Returned to work
6/17/06 - Tramatic Knee Cap Dislocation and Vertical Fractured Patella
6/28/06 - ORIF - Screws - no wires
8/24/06 - Ditched the brace - start PT
9/20/06 - First spinning
1/15/07 - screw removal, LR , VMO Advanc  & patella cleanupl

Offline ex-gymnast

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Hardware Removal
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 03:38:34 AM »
I had hardware REPLACED on a friday.  I was at the mall shopping the next day.  Went back to work on monday.
If I knew I'd be like this now, I'd do it all again.
1998- Lf ACL replace (failed)
1998- Lf ACL replace (worked)
1998- Rt LR
1999- Rt Scope
2000- Rt ACL replace
2001- Rt hardware replace
2002- Rt Scar Tissue Removal
2005- Rt Pattella Scraped
2009- Rt clean-out the mess
To Come: 2 Replace

support