Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 4 months after TTT (Fulkerson) and having bone healing problems... HELP!!!  (Read 1325 times)

Offline Pugklowd9

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I had my Fulkerson with a lateral release on May 16, 2007.  I was a "text book" case and had a wonderful recovery.  Pain was fine (no meds needed), almost full ROM was gained quickly, and my healing in general was said to be "superb" (so much so that I was cleared for any PT unless something came up later on). 

A week before I was due to come back to work, I had a CT Scan on my knee just to make sure everything was still on the go since my prior appt (when I was told I could let go of the crutches and brace). 

I get an urgent call from my doctor saying that she reviewed the CT scan and there is still a 1.3 mm gap between the bones... basically they haven't healed at all!! I was told to go back to the crutches and brace and to prepare for another surgery. 

After my doctor talked to Dr. Fulkerson (for who the surgery is named after), he even suggested a follow-up surgery.  They want to reopen my knee... check everything out... possibly use a different screw or a type of "vice grip" to pull the bones together and insert an allograft (cadaver bone) in the gap. 

Has anyone out there had ANYTHING similar.  I am back at work... was well on my way to getting my "old life" back... and now I'm back to be being a "gimp"! haha. 

Most of all, I'm terribly scared to have to endure the toll it took on me the first month (more mental then physical... i.e. having to depend on others, being "locked up" at home, etc).  I really worked hard to getting better... and now I'm back to the starting line. 

Any advice or similar stories would be amazing right now.

Thanks. 
Years of competitive sports and dance...
Numerous "pulls"... pains and strains.
Several years of PT w/ no help.
LK TTT (Fulkerson) w/ LR: 5/16/07
Repeat LK TTT (Fulkerson) due to nonfusion of bone: 9/10/07

"I rather like my stumblings. Sometimes they lead me to some pretty neat places!"

Offline hopalongcasualty

• Forum Faithful
  • Today is a gift.That's why it's called the present
    • Left knee surgery
The glass is half empty response - That Sucks  >:(

The glass is half full response - Wow, they got the alignment issue right on the first try!!! Now through a minor medical procedure they can implant some organic structure for your body to assymelate (SP) and accelerate the healing process.

Either way, good luck, it is a tough path you are on.
R Knee
83-LCL,ACL&Medial Meniscus tear
86-Debridment
87-TTT Houser Manuver
89-TTT Maquet Procedure*
92-Meniscus Tear
04-Supartz Injections
05-Contusion
L Knee
05-tibia & patella dislocation w/MCL tear & large lateral condyle defect
2-15-06 Lateral condyle osteochondral Allograft ::)

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
I wouldn't rush into a surgery but wait and see. I had the same "text book" recovery as you had, went back to work 11 weeks after the surgery, only restriction was that I couldn't run. XRays showed there was indeed still a gap between the moved tibia bones. OS said that was ok, too early to tell if something was wrong, just go on with recovery. At 5 months another Xray was takes and the gap was totally filled with bone! So, my opinion, DO NOT RUSH into a new surgery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Helena

PS if you had your surgery May 16th, it isn't 4 months isn't it? Or am I having dementia problems? ;D
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline Pugklowd9

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Well thats definitely good to hear.  We're putting it off for at least 6 weeks she said to see if it will fuse.  What she said (and Dr. Fulkerson reiterated) was that your body has the natural inclination to repair itself regardless of whats in the way.  And they believe that the screws that were meant to pull the bones together are actually what is not allowing it touch (sorta like they're keeping them apart). 

We'll see...

As far as the 4 months... YEP... I meant to write 2 months!!  ;D  Oops... see how batty this knee thing has gotten me? haha
Years of competitive sports and dance...
Numerous "pulls"... pains and strains.
Several years of PT w/ no help.
LK TTT (Fulkerson) w/ LR: 5/16/07
Repeat LK TTT (Fulkerson) due to nonfusion of bone: 9/10/07

"I rather like my stumblings. Sometimes they lead me to some pretty neat places!"

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
Ach, never mind, my mind does get spooky sometimes  ;D

Btw, this might help, my Xrays as I told you in previous post (might be reasurring sp?)

Bone grows slowely, so it takes time for the gap to fill. A simple broken leg without displacement, takes less time than this.

Helena
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation