Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Introduction and Description  (Read 618 times)

Offline VanessaJ

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Introduction and Description
« on: July 18, 2007, 06:06:25 AM »
Hello.

I am hopeful that I might get more help and information here than I have been receiving thus far from other sources.

I had knee ache in my left knee start in early Nov 06 and went to see the ortho in late Nov.  I told him what I knew (no knowledge of knee trauma) and what I had been doing (Aleve, knee brace). They x-rayed me and saw nothing interesting.  I was told that I had the knees of a teenager.  Lucky me.   He figured that the horizontal ligaments were inflamed. I was told that the brace would do nothing for me, that knees took six weeks to heal and to keep taking the Aleve for three more weeks.  OK did that.  Didn't work. I didn't even get into the fact that when I squat and get up, I can't bear weight on my other knee which in all other respects seems perfectly fine and without pain.  I asked about exercises to help improve joint strength, but I didn't get any to do.

I am a band director and an army wife with two young kids, so things often get hectic.  I didn't have to have crutches, but I was seriously slowed down.  Standing for long periods of time caused me to lose joint mobility and sitting for too long also stiffened me where it didn't want to straighten out.  I could no longer lie on the bed on my tummy to read a book without the left kneecap hurt and I couldn't "lock" the kneecap into place.

Fast forward to June.  I have some time to rest at home and things feel better but not well.  I go back to the ortho and tell him of the observations I have been making - that it gets worse whenever I have to deal with hard surfaces without padding like concrete.  Exercise didn't make it better.  The cocktail of OTC drugs that made me the happiest was 2 Tylenol8 and a BackAid pill (contained a diruetic).  Personally I suspect bursitis, but I never heard that term in conjunction with me.  I have heard no terms at all.  I was sent in for an MRI which mercifuly showed that there were no tears and whatnot in the soft tissue.  It did show fluid.  So I am told that I can have an anti-inflammatory shot.  That wasn't too bad. and initially it worked great!  There was a little soreness at the injection site, but I gathered that was normal.   One week later, that area around the injection feels awful!  There is an increasingly bruised feel when you press on it at all and there is a burning pain sensation if I try any weight bearing on my knee at that angle (think crawling not walking.)  The problems with the original knee issue seemed better, but tonight I notice they are coming back already.  I get that buning pain when the skin stretches across the knee.

I am not sure I am getting good attention from the doctor and I am not sure I even know how to approach talking to him if he just thinks I am a nut,  My problems don't seem as bad as many of you on the board, but I have no reason to have knee pain which makes it all the more weird.  I don't jog or do high impact sports, I wasn't in a car wreck, I had no knee trauma, I am overweight, but at 185 pounds and 5'7", I didn't tthink hat was enough to make them buckle underneath me! I am not an exercise nut, but I am also not completely sedentary.  I am 35, so while I am not a kid anymore, I shouldn't be falling apart without an actual reason.   This is what brings me down more than anything else - I am worried that the doc just sees me as an attention seeking nut and not someone with an issue I want to fix before it gets all the worse.
No real reason known for pain
Middle Schoo Band Director

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Introduction and Description
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 07:47:15 AM »
If you don't feel confident with him, go get  new opinion and this opinion should be from a OS specialized on knees.
Once getting problems with a knee that can take a lot of time to heal. Though in my opinion sounds like you have to give yourself a diagnos as he hasn't give you one.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline R__C

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 12:43:47 PM »
Hi VanessaJ

I would get a second opinion on your problem. Depending on where you are from it can take from 6 to 10 months to see a good OS. Any good doctor would not view you as an "attention seeking nut" you are suffering in pain and you want answers. Best of luck VanessaJ .

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 02:26:16 PM »
Vanessa,
Never apologize for seeking help from your OS about pain issues. That is what he is there for, and if he isn't doing his best to help you figure out what's going on, then it's time to find someone who will. You're not a nut case. You're a person in pain who is seeking answers and you deserve respect for that. I would push him on this the next time you see him, and if he doesn't take you seriously and offer some options, it's definitely time to go elsewhere.
Terre
RK 7/04 part. m. menisc., plica resect., MF
    3/05 part. m. menisc., open OATS
    1/07 part l. menisc., MF, patellar chondroplasty
    9/08 MF
LK 11/04 & 8/06 part m. menisc.
     7/07 LR, patellar tendon debrid., part m. menisc.