Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Help with rom  (Read 1592 times)

Offline cynthiab4

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Help with rom
« on: July 17, 2007, 11:01:56 PM »
Any advice on how to get rom past 50 degrees? I recently had quad tendon repaired, a scope with scar tissue removed, and lateral release. Four weeks post op. I have some tightness underneath kneecap which I think is holding me back and am getting some patella tendon pain. I hear that is normal after this surgery any advice would be helpful! Just doing basic isometric therapy right now. Thanks so much

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Re: Help with rom
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 01:10:27 AM »
Are you receiving physical therapy?  If so they should be able to help you with this.  I just had a LR, but no tendon work done.  Post op I was given a sheet of exercises to do.  There were quad sets where you keep let straight and tighten your quad muscles.  There were straight leg raises, and the short arc leg raises where you put a towel under your knee and lift the foot to straighten the leg.  There were also what I call heel slides.  You sit with your legs straight in front of you and slide your foot back toward your backside.  I'm getting pretty good with those, but still have a ways to go.  I also had a patella clean up on the other knee at the same time and it's almost back to bending normal amounts.  I know what you mean about the tightness under the kneecap, I get it too.  Can you sit on a table or similar and just let the leg hang down?  Sometimes this can get the knee to bend a bit more. 

I'm not sure if any of the above would be good for you to try or not.  Have you checked with your OS about what types of exercises you should be doing? 

My best advice is to check with a physical therapist or your OS.  Hope you get more ROM soon.  It's frusterating I know.  My surgery was only about two weeks ago.

Good luck to you.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline cynthiab4

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 04:31:35 AM »
Yeah Im pretty much doing all that already.  Any advice on what works the best to get the tightness away?? Thanks again!

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 12:55:19 AM »
After my last scope 2 years ago the PT would do patella mobility stuff.  Basically you sit with you leg out and they move the kneecap around.  I really hate it as it feels so darn weird!  It did help with that tight feeling.  Maybe there is a bit more scar tissue under the kneecap that needs to be broken through.  I have been through that too, it was LOUD everyone in PT turned to look at me!  It hurt like heck too, but after that things seemed to be less stiff and got better ROM.  Not sure if this is what may be going on, but maybe worth looking into.  Is is possible that the tendon repair is tight and causing pressure on the kneecap?  Possibly some streches for the tendon might help?  I also will rub my knee and massage the incisons (they are only keyhole type), sometimes this helps.

Hope you get some of the tightness to loosen up.

Good Luck

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline clemmy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 01:05:09 AM »
Here are a couple links to some exercises on KNEEguru's main website. Lying wall slides are one of the best passive exercises to improve flexion. There are also instructions for patellar mobilizations. Be sure to clear any new exercises with your OS or PT.

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtutor/doku.php/arthrofibrosis/kokmeyer_arthrofibrosis01

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtutor/doku.php/arthrofibrosis/kokmeyer_arthrofibrosis02

« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 11:03:19 PM by clemmy »

Offline cynthiab4

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 10:43:51 PM »
Thanks for all the responses! My Pt did the massaging today boy did it hurt like crap. I am still sore six hours later. She had me try to do the lifts of the side of the bed and had me do squatting all of which i think made it hurt. I think its going away little by little sinnce im sore now. I couldnt even get sore before. Well thanks again!

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 04:18:52 PM »
The massaging can really hurt for a while, but the next day is usually better.  Of course you add up the exercises too and it's hard to say which one causes the most pain.  Good luck.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline cynthiab4

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 12:24:18 AM »
Well, massaging must of helped, im at 84 degrees. averaging 30 degrees a wekk guess that's pretty good!

support