Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: new to site... knee seems to come out of joint  (Read 872 times)

Offline dab1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
new to site... knee seems to come out of joint
« on: July 16, 2007, 01:09:54 PM »
Several times now my left knee seems to have come out of joint & I am unable to straighten it without real force & a lot of pain. When it does go back into place it makes quite a noise & the pain subsides after a few minutes. There is no swelling around it. Has anyone got any ideas what is happening to my knee?

In the past I broke the top of my Tibia off but it was not treated as not known about at time. I also had OS in it & I have had 2 Athroscopies done on that knee.

I also have an ongoing back complaint that may contribute to the problems.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: new to site... knee seems to come out of joint
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 03:23:06 PM »
I doubt it's out of joint or you'd be in serious pain. Not just a lot of pain, but rolling around on the floor with incapacitating pain. Sounds more like a torn meniscus or something getting caught in your joint. Mine did the same thing. I could yank on it and everything would go back in place. At the time my meniscus was torn nearly in half.

Offline dab1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 07:24:32 PM »
Thanks, I'll get it checked out. Is there anything they can do for a torn meniscus?

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 07:38:47 PM »
Usually they do arthroscopic surgery to remove the torn parts. Sometimes they can attempt to repair them but there is no blood supply so not everyone is a candidate. You'll want to have it taken care of if it's locking up your knee. Tears only get bigger and lead to arthritis.

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 04:52:36 AM »
You could still have a problem with your kneecap coming out of it's place. If you are loose jointed it could come out, go back in and not suffer too much pain. I have loose ligaments, kneecap comes out and goes back in. Is painful at the time but usually a lot worse several days after.

Get it checked out. There's heaps of things you can do conservatively if you have a problem with your kneecap coming out.  :)
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

support