Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: finally had my first hyalgan injection  (Read 2933 times)

Offline xxLorrainexx

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
finally had my first hyalgan injection
« on: July 18, 2007, 06:50:10 PM »
After waiting months and months and being let down by my local nhs hospital yesterday I had my first Hyalgan injection. GP had problems to start as the needle would not go in to the lateral side due to lots of scar tissue following the arthroscopies and oats procedure. Trying that side made me want to pass out and be sick( didn't pass out but was sick after). Much easier on the medial side. Felt a lot of pushing and a bit uncomfortable but at least thats one over. Bit of swelling last night after making dinner for the family so guess I should have avoided standing like the paperwork said. Today the knee feels a bit stiff annd achy but not as much pain as I expected. Haven't noticed any difference to the original pain but still have 4 injections to go on right knee. Left knee won't be done until October but hoping that these injections give me a miracle pain relief after 3 years of misery. Hope all injections as easy as this one but of course there is no guarantee. Here's to the next 4....
osteo arthritis both knees
arthroscopy right knee sept 05
oats procedure for osteo chondral lesion right knee June 06
TKR right knee in six months possibly
tkr delayed now another arthroscopy and hyalgan injection in 5 months
injections not done as promised saw gp and he'll do them in July

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: finally had my first hyalgan injection
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 08:13:12 PM »
You let your GP give you the injection? No way would I do that. Don't expect miracles. The stuff works maybe 50% of the time and then it's only temporary. I'll never have them again, total waste of time and money for me.

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 09:53:15 PM »
I found they provided me with a few months of pain relief and I would seek to have them again in order to delay another surgery.  If your GP has been trained on how to perform the injections take advantage of it.    While they are uncomfortable and I had to control myself from kicking my OS .  I been told when it hurts more they are hitting a nerve ending and I have had  some shots that hurt and some that didnt. 

Listen nobody on this site feels your knee pain and I feel it is worth a try to see if you are able to take advantage of the pain reduction these shots offer to some.

Offline xxLorrainexx

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 04:14:12 PM »
Thanks for the boost. Unfortuantely I had a fall on Thursday evening (slipped on grape in supermarket) straight on to the knee.Now have to go see surgeon on Wednesday as A & E doctor said i have lax collateral ligament on medial side( whatever that means) So will now need to find out what i've done to the knee and whether i can still go ahead with the remaining injections. Have great faith in my GP as been with him years and he has seen me through my worst with my knee. He said no guarantee with injections but would be worth a try as different people react different ways. Will try anything to relieve pain.
Have already had arthroscopy, oats procedure, physio, acupuncture, nsaids, tramadol, more arthroscopy so why not try something else rather than knee replacement. Which incidenatlly they won't do as at 46 they say i'm too young.
If slip has runied my chance of pain relief Asda will have a lot to answer for.
osteo arthritis both knees
arthroscopy right knee sept 05
oats procedure for osteo chondral lesion right knee June 06
TKR right knee in six months possibly
tkr delayed now another arthroscopy and hyalgan injection in 5 months
injections not done as promised saw gp and he'll do them in July

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 06:28:12 PM »
Good Luck .. So sorry to read this happened to you. 

support