Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: fulkenson osteotomy  (Read 1976 times)

Offline kaie10

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
fulkenson osteotomy
« on: July 13, 2007, 02:22:14 AM »
Hi all! Im new here, found this website while searching for info  :) im 22, and two years ago i had an athroscopic surgery on both my knees in order to correct petellar tracking syndrome- so they did a lateral release, and since then my left knee has started to bother me. i went in and the doc looked at my mri's and said he would suggest acl surgery- but he was going to send me to another doctor whom he works with and get his opinon. now, both of these doctors are very very well known and credited for their work around where i live. so anyways i got the second opinion and that doctor suggests to do 'fulkerson osteotomy' on my knee. its the next answer if a scope doesnt work for lateral release.  im rather scared. i go back to my doctor tomorrow to find out what his opinion on this will be, in a way i hope he agrees and i can do it and get it over with. but the other gets scared!! ive done physical therapy and a brace- nothing works. im over not being able to do things due to pain, and its not going to correct itself. it will only get worse.

so my question is- whose had this procedure? what was it like? what was recovery like?!!  any unput would be great- thanks!!

krystal

Offline lener

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: fulkenson osteotomy
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 06:51:26 PM »
I had the Fukerson Osteotomy on June 23. I too was nervous about the surgery. I had done PT with no relief. I only had a hard time with pain right after the surgery.They got the meds on track and I have been pain free ever since. When I got home 2 days after surgery I set a timer and did not miss one dose of meds. If you stay on top of the meds and do not skip any doses you are doing yourself a big favor. My OS has done many Fulkersons so he really knew what he was doing. I would say the part I am having the worst time with is the crutches and no weight bearing  on my right knee. I was told I would be on crutches for 6 - 8 weeks. I am a very active person and I hate to sit and do nothing. You will need help when you get home, so I hope you have a good family and friend support. The one thing I did buy that I felt has been a real help in my healing process is an electric cooling cuff that helps with keeping the swelling down.  If you go to the Knee Gruru Site and read up on the Fulkerson Osteotomy you should be able to understand what would happen if you decide to have the surgery. You should also write down questions you have for your OS and take them to your next appointment.
Good Luck
Lener

Offline kaie10

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 04:43:46 PM »
Thank you very much for replying. I saw my doctor and I am having the surgery on July 26th.  I am really nervous, for a couple of reasons. First, he is doing it as outpatient and I will go home after the surgery...I will have someone with me that day but I am extrememly worried because I wont the following day- I think I may call me doctor and express this concern and see if he could do the procedure as in patient and I could stay in the hospital until Saturday and I could come home and my mom will be with me untl Monday.  I am also very nervous about the pain, afterwards...I keep having nightmares that Im going to come out of it an djust start crying cause it hurts so bad. He is also doing a scope on my knee that day- which means even more pain.  He explained that I will be in a knee brace that he will adjust the movement on weekle or bi weekly i believe.  That makes me nervous as well. He told me to start practicing on my crutches now so when the day comes Im prepared for them.  Im really nervous and scared  :(  Your post helped me a bunch because I was beginning to get bummed because no one had replied..anything else you think would be helpful I would greatly appreciate.  Thank you  :)

Offline lener

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 10:00:12 PM »
I am very glad that just a few words of incouragement heiped.  I hope you live all on one story and have no stairs to contend with as this will be easier for you. If you do have stairs it is not too hard to learn to get up and down them, but it does take practice. If you are going to be on your own here are some ideas that might help.         
1.  A cooler with drinks and food next to the bed.
2.  A timer so you can take your pain pills around the clock. Do not miss a dose and you will be pain free. I stayed pain free because I followed the timer rule. Ask your Dr. if you can at least stay at the hospital until they have the pain under control. If you do have pain there are alot of different meds to take for pain call your Dr. and get something else. 
3.  For my leg I used one of those pillows that are curved to fit your neck. The curve down the middle of the pillow cradles  your leg perfectly.
4. If you are a reader a stack of books.
5. Ipod
6. I do not know how far you want to go with purchasing things, but I got a raised toilet seat. It made it easier to get up and down. A shower chair is also nice. When I showered I wrapped my knee with a plastic wrap called Press and Seal. My knee never got wet.
7. Cell phone or phone by the bed.

The scope is nothing compared to the Fulkerson. It will cause you no extra pain. It is just two small incisions. The nice thing about your Dr. doing a scope is he can really see what is the matter with your knee and you might not need a Fulkerson, but a different procedure. Did he bring that possibility up? Mine did. Remember you are in charge of your body ask questions.  A Dr. goes to school to gain his knowledge, but he is using that knowledge on your body. Just because you are 22 yrs. old you are not to young to question him. Hope this helps. You will do just fine. Let me know how you are doing. I will keep checking back on you.
Lener

Offline kaie10

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 11:31:17 PM »
unfortunately i have a three story house. i discussed this earlier with my mom- since my doctor is doing this as an outpatient procedure, i will have no one to be with me until satuday and im having the surgery on thursday. i have to go to the docs office tomorrow, do u think it would be worth me explaining my situation to him and seeing if he would do it as an inpatient procedure and let me stay at the hsopital? im terribly scared to stay home the whole day after the surgery by myself...i just dont know if i should ask him or not..what do u think? how long did your doctor have you stay out of work? mine is suggesting two weeks.

Offline lb573

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 03:24:58 AM »
Hi. I had the Fulkerson/LR last July and i have to say that it was the best thing that i have ever done for my knee i think! It is quite painful afterwards, but not for to terribly long. I woke up in recovery and did not feel any pain whatsoever (my OS had filled it with a local anaesthetic), and didn't actually start to feel any pain until the next morning about 8:00. I started to take my pain meds at about midnight, and for the first couple days it was every 4 hours percocet and at the halfway point an extra strength advil. After a couple of days i was able to space out the painkillers a bit, and in less than a week i was only taking advil. All in all, it was much less painful than i had anticipated! The key is to keep on top of the pain meds, as it is much easier to stay on it than to play catch up if it gets out of control. As mentioned, a cryocuff is an absolute must!! This was a lifesaver for me and worth every single penny; just make sure to stock up on ice pre-op!! I had my op on a friday, and i had my mom with me until tuesday when she had to go back to work, but i really could not have imagined doing this without somebody with me the first couple days at least. However, if you had somebody that could pop in and check on you throughout the day and change the ice machine over, i think you woudl be ok, as i pretty much slept the entire first few days post-op. Regarding crutch use, i was on them for just under 3 weeks full weight bearing from day one, but i know that from reading this board, that the amount of time totally varies with the OS. As i was working in a fast food joint at the time of my surgery i didn't go back for nearly 2 months i think (or something like that anyway), but i was also a third year nursing student, and i was back doing 12 hour shifts for clinical at 6 weeks post-op, with no problems whatsoever (i had decided that my school was more important than the job was at the time). It all depends on the job i think as to how much time you will need to be off. Make sure that you talk to your OS about any questions/concerns you have about your surgery. A TTT is a big surgery and recovery takes a long time, but in my experience thus far it has been totally worth it!! Best of luck with everything, and if you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask!!

Leah
27 yo RN
L Knee:
07/'01 - scope
01/'02 - scope
12/'03 - LR
07/28/2006 - TTT/LR/Patellar Debridement
07/11/2007 - Screw Removal
R Knee:
07/06/2007 - Patellar dislocation
04/10/2008 - TTT/LR
06/11/2008 - MCL tear, Bone Bruise
09/29/2009 - Medial plication/reconstruction/debridement

Offline lener

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 04:24:12 AM »
The cooling cuff is a great thing to have. My husband got tired of all the ice I was using. He came up with the great idea of freezing 8 bottles of water. The machine holds 4 bottles at a time.(Be sure to get the right size for your machine.) He put in the frozen bottles then added water. It lasted all day and no more running to the store for ice. 
Depending on your insurance they might not let you be an inpatient, but it never hurts to check your coverage or see what your Dr. says. I have the summers off so I am missing no work. It really depends upon what kind of work you do and if you can do it with crutches. I can not imagine going back to work in two weeks, but you are younger than I am. I am 55 yrs old.
Once again I did not have any pain after surgery. Each person handles pain differently,so you will only know what your level is until after surgery. Be sure and tell your Dr. about your pain concerns. You will be doing alot of sleeping the first few days. If someone can get you home and into bed on the floor that you have a bathroom, you will be fine. The only reason to get up the first few days is to use the bathroom. Have everything set up in the room you will be staying in before you go for your surgery. Refer back to the list I posted earlier about things that made my life easier after surgery.
After I told you I was 55 I thought you would think of me as an old lady, so I wanted you to know alittle about me.  I am a very outgoing person. My girlfriends and I went to NY last year and had a great time. We even did the subways. And no we did not go with a tour group.I ride my own purple motorcycle and rode it to Sturgis SD from Spokane WA for a Rally. I am a secretary at an Elementary School and I love being with all the kids.
Hang in there,
Lener

Offline kaie10

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 01:20:09 AM »
Hi Lener.  Thanks for all the replies.  I chuckled at your last one- I LOVE New York!!  Ive been twice and I love that place..my knee has always stopped me from walking as much as i want, sometimes i would push it and just keep going but i know i couldnt do it in the condition im in now.  I also found it interesting you work at an elementary school, I am in college and my major is Elementary education!!

Anyways. I would like to know more about the cooling cuff- what is that? I got fitted today for the brace that I will be put in immediately after the surgery and for three months afterwards.  It's an ugly thing, I'm not too fond of it!!! Also, the doctor approved for me to stay in the hospital from the day of my surgery (thursday) until Saturday..my mom will take me home Saturday..so, I'm happy about that.  And my health insurance approved it too, so its all taken care of.  Im planning on buying a mini fridge for my room for when I come home.. Anyways, let me know about the cooling cuff- Ill look into it.  Thanks!! k.

Offline lener

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 04:31:58 PM »
Hi K,
I am glad to hear that you get to stay in the hospital until Saturday. One less thing to worry about. You asked about the cooling cuff. The one I bought is a Berg Polar Care 300. If you check the web you will find info on the unit. My insurance did not pay for it, but check with yours to see if they will. I feel the cuff was well worth the money. If you decide to go with the cuff you might be able to get it through the same company that you got your brace from.
The unit goes through alot of ice. My husband got tired of ice runs and came up with a great idea. He bought 8 bottles of water that fit the unit and froze them. He puts 4 bottles and water in the unit. The unit stays cold all day not just 4 hrs. The unit does not have an on off switch. He plugged the unit into a surge protector, so when he was not home I could turn the unit off and on.
When you get home from the hospital be sure that your mom uses the timer for your meds. She needs to wake you up for every dose even through the night. This is very important for your pain control.
It is interesting that your major is Elementary Education. I have been at the same school for 23 years. We are a small neighborhood school of 320 students.
You are going to do great. You have done a super job with asking questions and taking control of your medical care.
Lener

« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 08:07:17 PM by lener »

Offline kimmyxs

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 05:56:37 PM »
You might want to check with your surgeon about the cooling cuff. My OS sent me home with mine. I actually have two, one from each surgery and it was my very best friend!   If he/she doesn't send you home with one, you will want one - desparately.  It keeps the swelling down and really does help ease the pain.

Good luck!
6/03/89 - First Knee Cap Disclocation
7/05/89 - Returned to work
6/17/06 - Tramatic Knee Cap Dislocation and Vertical Fractured Patella
6/28/06 - ORIF - Screws - no wires
8/24/06 - Ditched the brace - start PT
9/20/06 - First spinning
1/15/07 - screw removal, LR , VMO Advanc  & patella cleanupl

Offline TIBBAR

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • Keep em Guessing?????????????
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 08:25:07 PM »
Hay look under Market Place in this forum. Someone has a Polar for sale.

support