Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: had the oats done....so far so good  (Read 2933 times)

Offline mj/usa

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • glad to have my knee back again
had the oats done....so far so good
« on: September 19, 2002, 04:08:27 AM »
Hi!
I had my oats surgery done here on Monday--it went just as my os said it would.  he did have a prob, though and couldn't place the plug via arthroscope, so he had to do an arthrotomy to get it in place.  i spent the first night in the hospital, but could come homeyesterday  with my crutches, the cpm, the cyrocuff and a wheelchair....the wheelchair lets me get the to computer, my arms are so  sore from the crutches.  does this get any better?!! ???
BUT on the plus side, i have almost no pain, certainly nothing compared to the pain i had after the plica excision last year.  wierd, huh.  they gave me a pain pump in the hospital (dilautin) but i found that it really made me nauseous,.so i didn't use it much. Another interesting thing is that my back really hurt much more than my knee.  i suppose from being on the table in the same position for 2 1/2 hours.  anyone experience this?
Thanks again for all the support and i will keep you posted about the details.  Stitches come out next week--I can hardly wait to see what the knee looks like!
cheers
MJ
plica excision 05/01,  followed by OATS 09/02

Iona_-Uk

Re: had the oats done....so far so good
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2002, 11:23:47 AM »
The arms will get better with the crutches, eventually, while your biceps try to build up. A good hint that someone gave me was to put foam around the handle to stop my hand blistering.

Glad the surgery when well and you sound very positive, lets hope you get a great outcome.

Iona x

Offline mj/usa

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2002, 10:28:16 PM »
Hi Iona!
Thanks for your words of encouragement.  I'm really down today, not because of the knee, because of my back which continues to really hurt.  I read in the blurb from my os that my husband got after the surgery that sometimes the back muscles spasm after epidural anesthesia.  I think that is what's happening.  Funny, I would have thought the knee would be painful--but, touch wood, that is not the case.  I am up to 90 deg on the cpm and also when I just let the leg leg dangle over the bed.  So I guess I shouldn't complain....
take care
Mary Jane

Offline rhea

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.......
    • Budgie Love!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2002, 05:29:29 AM »
Hi there MJ!  Im so so so happy to read that you are doing okay!  Hang in there, life will improve slowly but surely.  Don't you just love those water cuffs?  Im "attatched" (literally ;) ) to mine all the time.  Great inventions those!

I hope your recovery continues to go well and that your back settles down.  Have you tried a heating pad on it?  Are you allowed to take muscle relaxants for it with your other pain drugs?

Hope you feel better soon.  Here's to your recovery!

(((hugs)))

rhea
7 yrs of knee troubles (maltracking, maybe plica).  
Finally found wonderful OS(#4)!
Diagnostic scope+biopsy schduled for sept 23,2003  
HMS/EDS III
Chronic joint pain,subluxations,microtraumas...

Helen_uk

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2002, 07:49:42 PM »
The crutches will make you sore but hopefully this will settle down and your back wont be helped by walikng on crutches because your posture and gaite will be different I find a heat pad helps me alot or a hot water bottle wrapped in something soft.
Also try doing some gentle back stretches and pelvic tilts hope you get some relief soon
H xxx

Offline mj/usa

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2002, 10:20:39 PM »
Dear Rhea and Helen--

Thank you so much for you kind responses.  I have just come back from having my stitches taken out (didn't hurt too much) and getting x-rays of my knee.  The x-rays look great, I am allowed to bend the leg to  60 deg--ie the brace is now set at 60--and I can even go swimming if I want to!!! ;D
Apparently walking in water in great therapy and my os who is a wonderful guy, said this would help keep muscle atrophy at bat.  I still have to stay with the cpm for the next while, and keep my weight off the leg (10-15 lbs only)
I am so relieved as I had a dream (nightmare) last night that the x-rays showed something and my surgeon was telling me he had to go back in...Whew, glad it was only a dream
As for the crutches, I found out that the pt in the hospital had set them too high (I am only 5'4" and they were set for 5'6") and that is why was back was so sore.  I made them smaller and now my back is behaving much better.  Heating pads are wonderful on it and I do that whenever it bothers me.

good luck to you both
cheers
Mary Jane

support