Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: should i get transplant surgery??  (Read 842 times)

Offline skittlehatch

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
should i get transplant surgery??
« on: July 11, 2007, 03:04:34 PM »
I am wondering who has had a lateral meniscus transplant surgery and whether or not i should get it done.  This will be my third surgery.  The first one was to fix my torn meniscus and the second time i tore it the doctor removed it.  I had the menisectomy in march of 2006 and have had pain everyday since.  I have seen three orthopedic surgeons who have all suggested meniscus transplant surgery.  Im scared and not sure if i should have another one done.  I am only 23 and do not want to live with this pain anymore.  Any suggestions or insights would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks everyone!
Dec 2007~ Lateral Meniscus transplant
Mar 2006~ Lateral Meniscus menisectomy
Oct 2002~ Lateral Meniscus repair

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
Re: should i get transplant surgery??
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 07:43:41 PM »
Ultimately the decision should be between you and your surgeon.  However, the surgery does really improve people's quality of life.  Keep in mind, that is considered to be a salvage procedure and don't expect to be able to return to high impact sporting activities. 

Check this link out for more information.  It also has a link to the Dr. Noyes' physical therapy protocol which could give you some idea what to expect after the surgery.

http://www.cincinnatisportsmed.com/csm/index.asp?ipath=patedu/knee/mentransplant.htm
http://www.cincinnatisportsmed.com/protocols/Meniscus_Transplant.pdf
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.