Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: OATS  (Read 3003 times)

Offline NJDan

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Be nice to your knees, you'll miss them one day!
OATS
« on: September 13, 2002, 05:46:53 AM »
I am scheduled for OATS on Oct 9th and don't really know what to expect post op.  Doc said two weeks no weight bearing.  Any one who has had this done, can you tell me all the gory details like results, size of incision, total recovery time, total time in hospital etc.  I had a Patellectomy in 1999 and have had many scopes since.  The leg and knee are pretty weak as a result of the knee cap being gone.  Any insights as to what I may experience on Oct 9 would be helpful.

Thanks.
Dan
Patellectomy 1999, right knee following a car pedestrain accident.  5 subsequent scopes.  Chondroplasty Oct 2002.  TKR and Quad realignment Jan 2004.

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: OATS
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2002, 05:50:01 AM »
Sorry I can't offer you any advice, never had an OATs procedure.  :o However I just wanted to offer you luck and healing when you have your surgery. Take care and good luck
Linds  :)
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline martiniswiller

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2002, 08:52:48 AM »
Hi Dan!
I don't have a lot to tell you, but I can tell you what my Surgeon said- I am scheduled for the same operation in exactly 2 weeks.  For me it will be an outpatient procedure, I will be back home the same day.  She said it would be a 2-1/2 inch incision, but I have also heard other docs do it by arthroscopy portals.  I have to be 6 weeks with no weightbearing, and 6 months without anything strenuous to my knee.  Also, I will be on a continuous motion machine.  I will let you know how it goes after my operation.  Good luck to you, I sure hope this helps us both!!!
Lesley
(martini swiller)
LR on left knee 8/01, LR & Chondroplasty on right knee 1/02.. had OATS procedure 9/26/02. Possible torn meniscus in left knee, but battling breast cancer, so knee is on hold!

Offline mj/usa

• Forum Faithful
  • glad to have my knee back again
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2002, 04:08:04 PM »
Hi Dan--

My oats is scheduled for Monday--and I can tell you I am getting nervous about it.  My OS said he will do this arthroscopically (sp?) that I will not need a cpm, but will have an immobilizer brace.  Also no weight-bearing for 6 weeks and only after that can I start PT. I'll try and keep you posted about my experiences after the surgery--just give me a couple of days or so to try and get back to the computer!
Good luck to you

MJ
plica excision 05/01,  followed by OATS 09/02

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2002, 04:42:01 PM »
Just wante to say, best of luck for your surgery.

Iona

Offline NJDan

• Forum Faithful
  • Be nice to your knees, you'll miss them one day!
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2002, 12:31:42 AM »
Thanks to all who replied  - although I am not sure what to expect still, I feel better with the support I've gained here.  After a routine physical today in prep for the surgery my GP found that I MAY have a kidney problem..it never rains, it  pours!

Be well.

Dan
Patellectomy 1999, right knee following a car pedestrain accident.  5 subsequent scopes.  Chondroplasty Oct 2002.  TKR and Quad realignment Jan 2004.