Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Chrondomalacia in runners  (Read 1257 times)

Offline xcrunner1652

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Chrondomalacia in runners
« on: July 28, 2007, 07:21:19 PM »
hey everyone,

I am a 20 year old collegiate cross country and track runner.  i have had some problems with my left knee, and now both of my knees have been sore.  i went to my family doctor and he said i have chrondomalacia patella, or he said simply swelling under my kneecap.  he has referred me to a sports trainer to try an find the underlying problem. 

in the meantime, what kind of training can i do to try and keep shape as best i can for the upcomming season?  i have been aqua jogging a couple of days a week.  cycling an option?   

are there any small things i can do to help speed healing, or reduce the pain in my knees?

thanks for your help,
Luke in KY

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
Re: Chrondomalacia in runners
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 05:12:15 PM »
You should try and get a referral to an orthopedic surgeons.  GPs have very little training in orthopedics even less so in sports medicine, and in general should not be making such an assessment.  I would highly suggest you get in contact with the athletic training department at your school and find out who the team physician is and make an appointment with them.  You may even be able to wait until you get back on campus since I assume it's not that far away.  Getting treatment through the athletic training department will get you far better results than relying on the poor diagnosis given by your GP.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline castlerobber

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 08:01:12 PM »
GPs have very little training in orthopedics even less so in sports medicine, and in general should not be making such an assessment.

I'll second that.  My GP is great on internal-medicine stuff, but has no clue about orthopedics.  He sent me for an MRI back in January '07 for a suspected medial meniscus tear.  The MRI came back showing no meniscus tears, but it did mention "chondromalacia patella with small effusion."  So he had the nurse call and tell me that my pain was probably just the beginning of arthritis, come back in three months if the knee still hurt and he'd refer me to an OS. Meanwhile, don't climb stairs, squat, or do anything else that made the knee hurt.  ::)

Turned out I had an inflamed medial plica, and a small _lateral_ meniscus tear that the MRI had missed.
31 May 07 - medial plica excision, lateral meniscus tear removal, patella debridement - RK

seilogramp

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 12:40:16 AM »
Turned out I had an inflamed medial plica, and a small _lateral_ meniscus tear that the MRI had missed.

How was that finally discovered? Scope?

Offline castlerobber

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 03:10:22 AM »

How was that finally discovered? Scope?

The OS figured out the plica on the first visit.  Told me if I'd do 15 minutes a day of SLRs and 10 minutes twice a day of hamstring stretches, I'd have it back to normal in a month.  Didn't work.  :(  Neither did two months of PT and iontophoresis.

Didn't know about the meniscus tear until the scope two months ago--it was totally asymptomatic.  "Very slight tear, too frayed to repair" was what the OS said when he came by to see me in recovery.
31 May 07 - medial plica excision, lateral meniscus tear removal, patella debridement - RK

Offline xcrunner1652

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 06:22:45 PM »
i totally agree with you, although (and i guess i should have specified), my GP was also the athletic trainer at my highschool, this is why i put so much trust into him before i get back to school in 3 weeks and can see the trainers there.

support