Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: This is me  (Read 10578 times)

Offline Amanda1975

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • Always been clumsy but this was not my fault
This is me
« on: July 10, 2007, 09:47:24 PM »
Hi

I thought I tell you a little about myself, not that its fantastically interesting, but I seem to kill threads when I join in and figure that it might be because I'm new and you don't know me.

I'm Amanda, 32, married and have 2 great kids, Daughter aged 6 and Son aged 4.

I work from home as a book-keeper, which happened because of my knee.  I did work in retail but my knee started giving me some problems so whilst waiting for the Dr and the NHS to do something about it I retrained as a book-keeper.  The retail job involved a lot of standing and walking around so had to give that up.

I eventually found out that I had a malaligned knee cap, needing a lateral release.  When they finally started the op they discovered that the rest of the menisci were pretty raggy and some of it was missing altogether from the back of my knee cap, so a microfracture, tidy up and lateral release were what I needed.

I enjoy reading, though don't get much time for that as I am also studying the next level up in bookkeeping, so with that, 2 kids, work and a home to run I don't really get a lot of spare time.

I like a variety of different types of music, from Katie Melua to Scissor Sisters.

I am rambling now.

Thats me what about you??

Amanda
Degenerative Left Knee due to Maltracking Patellar Grade 3-4
Operation 25th June 2007
Lateral Release, Microfracture, shaved intrapatellar pad and Menisci Tidy Up
Right Knee chondromalacia patellar Grade 1
PT and HT awaiting review

Offline VacationKneeInjury

• Regular Poster
Re: This is me
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 11:19:39 PM »
 :D Hi Amanda and welcome to this very special club!

I'm Martha and I'm 38 years old and live in Arizona - where it's been nice and toasty (110 degrees). I have a 4 year old son, a wonderful hubby and an English Bulldog. I work in a hospital - but am on the non-clinical/support services side. Because I was on vacation when I did this, I haven't been in the office since the lasts week of April.

Since I'm non-weight bearing (NWB) for almost 10 weeks I've been on the computer a lot more and have read a ton of books. I'm to start walking next week - with 25% of my body weight. I can hardly wait!

This web site has been a life-saver for me as it's answered a ton of questions and helped me realize I'm not alone in what I'm going through.

Take care, Martha
3 May 2007 TPF, fractured ankle & detached ACL while on vacation on Kauai
7 May '07 Surgery 5 screws/3 plates
12 May Flew home
11 June Out Pt Physical Therapy
16 July 07 PWB
31 July 07 FWB
27 Aug 07 Back to work w/ crutches
110 flexion; 1 extension

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • Much to young to feel this dam old, Garth Brooks
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 02:39:05 AM »
Hi Amanda,
I'm Denny and I live out on the prairies in Saskatchewan, Canada. I'm coming up to my 21st birthday (for the 29th time, do the maths, I can't say that number outloud) next month. My husband Jim and I moved out here in October 05, from the west country in the UK. I have a 29 year old son, David,  in the UK still and our youngest, John, 25 has moved out here with us.

We came out here to farm, but since my knee has been playing up I've not been able to help much, so we're really glad that John is here to help with the work.

I've been telling everyone that my knee problems started in November after a day at a big indoor agricultural event, thought it was just straun of s;ow walking and standing about every day. It was only recently when I offered to go to our off farm grazing to check the cows, because the boys were busy, that I remebered that in the fall last year, I went down there to check the fence lines and fell down a big hole. I was lying on the floor, with my leg down a hole, holding our little pup, trying to shout at the cows, and my cell was in the truck. I finally managed to get sorted and get home, the knee was sore then, but must of eased off, and I forgot about it ;D ;D ;D

Any way didn't get round to seeing the doc until January, still thought it would go away, since then have had x rays and ultra sound, but don;t avtually get to see an OS until September, all I know so far is that I have a large Bakers Cyst and a very swollen knee and lower leg, that is always a little painful, and is sometimes very painful. I now realise that the NHS isn't as bad as I thought it was!

What is your story with your knee?

Hi Martha, mmm Arizona, we were lucky enough to visit there a few years back, it was winter time and it was lovely, I don't know if I could cope with the summers though, we've had a couple of 98 degree days so far, and that was hot enough, but typical of the weatjer here, we lit the wood burner last night as it was cold wet and nasty!
6th Dec 2007 arthoscropy, major debridement and meniscus trimmed
Jan 08 2008 Arthritis grade 2/3 told to wait until TKR needed.
August 2010 Left knee arthroscopy

Offline Amanda1975

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 09:54:26 AM »
Denny,

Falling down the hole must have been a bit scary.  Good luck for September.

I have a vague recollection of twisting my knee at work but I didn't start having the problems directly from that twist.  2 years ago I sat on the edge of the sofa after checking on dinner, then I got up to set the table and it was like the bones in my knee were grinding together with no padding (cartilidge).  After numerous visits to the Doctor, PT and Consultants they finally decided that I needed some surgery to correct J Lateral maltracking.  I went on the NHS waiting list.  Then we had a little shock and discovered that I was pregnant, I was offered a cancellation but had to turn it down due to being pregnant, unfortunately I lost the baby 6 weeks later.  I then had to go through the whole process of getting my name back on the waiting list.  During which time Tony Blair brought in the new guidelines for waiting and within 20 weeks of seeing the consultant I had my Operation.

It needed more doing to it than at first thought, probably due to having to wait 2 years.

I find that my spirits are very low at the moment, I have physio tomorrow and am terrified.

I tried doing the excercises that I am supposed to be doing but I just cannot do it.

Amanda

Operation 25th June 2007

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 12:42:49 PM »
Yay..
Pleased to meet you all..

I'm Lindsay, I'm almost 27 years old... just 6 weeks to go.  I am married, no children yet, but i do have a dog and a horse who keep me busy.

I am  a housewife currently, moonlighting as an artist, jewelry maker, book illustrator. I volunteer on a few local board of directors. Good times...  My husband is a very busy herdsman on a large dairy farm. WE live in NOthern Nova Scotia, Canada.

My knee problems started when I was just young... genetic problems. Currently however I am struggling to recover from a riding accident 14 months ago when I fell off my horse and got dragged a short distance... partially tore my ACL and damaged my medial meniscus. Scope today to find out why everything isn't healing as they had expected it to.

That's about it.. :)

Amanda... try not to be terrified of the physio... just because you can't do the exercises doesn't mean you should be scared. When you have surgery.. especially LR surgery.. your muscles really shut down... it can take alot of work with muscle stim to get them to fire again... GOodluck, and you'll be okay.
HUGS
Linney

1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline cautionstairs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 02:07:35 PM »
HI! guys.

My name is Dan I'm 21 and going to school in philadelphia. 

Heres my story
I was riding my road bike weaving in and out of traffic cause its fun and at that point I thought I was invincible.  Then I was going down a ramp that leads to a bike trail and the ramp turned into 38 stairs.  So I flew down the stairs stayed consious.  I got up took 20 minutes to catch my breath persay then picked up the mangled bike locked it to a bench, walked limped up the stairs then the ramp.  I made it halfway to the subway then my knee gave up on me and I called 911 for a ride to the hospital.  Turned out later I had fractured my patella(7mm).  They operated next day puting some nuts n bolts in there and here I am.

I was working my way through college as a busboy at nights and I LOVE bike riding its sooo fun, but no mas  That really has to be my biggest issue with this injury...i mean my knee doesn't even hurt the cast is more like an achor.

Also I love the site and reading your posts help, and does anyone else feel like they know enough about the knee joint to give medical advice after extenisivly reading this site

sorry my spelling is terrible

Offline bungleg

• Regular Poster
  • my tpf hardware
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 02:39:05 PM »
cautionstairs, I dont think anybody on this site has claimed to be a professional, all advice should be taken with a grain of salt, and everybody should consult there os,gp,pt chycologist or who ever before comitting to any advice, this site to me helps to give an insight to what others have been through and shed light on some of the questions that we might have.
30/08/05 tpf, plate 8 screws and bone graft, pivot brace 5degs movment, 12weeks nwb, pt, leg stuck at 45deg
30/11/05 got leg straight phone books came in handy,rom 60degs,hydro,pt, start wb increase 10kg per week
01/03/06 full wb rom 95
may 06 rom 110
nov 06 screws + plate removed arthroscopy

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 04:31:53 PM »
Hi Amanda, I can understand you getting down, it is dam depressing sometimes, but thats why you have us, come rant here when you need to, we're more undrestanding than family. Don't be scared of PT, that is what is going to get you back to full strength again, yes it can be hard, but as long as you are trying to do the exersises things will improve. You just need to be honest with them and yourself about what is just uncomfortable, or difficult, and what bloody hurts! Sometimes mine are easy to do, and sometimes I struggle, but usually if I keep at it gently things get better ;D

Hi Linds, hope the scope goes OK, fingers crossed for you. Jim was a dairy man for many years, so I know how that one feels, how large is the herd he milks? I'm told that Nova Scotia is very beautiful, we've always wanted to visit, but we overshot a bit Are you the guys that we here about when the weather channel is talking about weather in the maritimes? Thats the one were it's either rain or a few feet of wet snow ;)

Hi Dan, shame you didn't have that one on video, like a lot of us a few thousand dollars from AFV would help ease the pain. Are you going to have the hardware in your knee forever? Glad your knee doesn't hurt, but can understand that the cast feels like an anchor. Because I have grey hair, I can turn round and say "serve you right young man" if you were weaving in and out of traffic, what we tend to forget is all the stupid things we did at that age, and were lucky enough to get away with it.
I know what you mean about knowing enough about the knee joint, certainly regulars on the site will have more knowledge than the average Joe, but actually most of us probably know enough to be dam dangerous, as bungleg says all we can do is share experiences and opinions, and leave the real work to the professionals. It does feel good though to have at least an insight into things.

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 04:41:22 PM »
RM185Western, you're right about the Arizona heat being tough - however, it does get easier and adjust accordingly. We've been here 10 years and can hardly stand much cold anymore - or any humidity. It's tough for us to go back to the midwest (Illinois) where we grew up - the weather gets us every time.  We are now in our 'monsoon' season here in the desert (it's not like monsoons in India - but this is considered our rainy season: 4 inches, ususally) and I can now feel the effects of higher humidity and barametric pressure changing. The winter is incredible here - and we all pay dearly for the months of November through May. Martha
12 May Flew home
16 July 07 PWB
31 July 07 FWB
110 flexion; 1 extension

Offline Amanda1975

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 05:16:15 PM »
Hi

Linney - Thanks for the words of encouragement re PT, just re-read the appointment details and it says they will tell me more about the surgery and what I should be expecting in terms of mobility, shouldn't that have been done before I actually left the hospital ???

Dan (cautionstairs) Caution Stairs Ahead, Doh! fancy riding down steps like that, having said that my dad tried riding up some once, luckily he didn't hurt himself too much, being drunk at the time helped  ;)

In pain at the moment, had to go to a meeting at my daughters school to meet the new teacher for next school year.  Its a five min walk (when not recovering from surgery) it took me 10 mins there and 15 back. Snails pace is the only pace I know at the moment.

Amanda

Operation 25th June 2007

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 07:28:43 PM »
Hi Martha, how do you fancy our winters up here, we have snow cover from sometime in November, until April, and temps regulary drop to -40 degC, I believe that were the F and C scales meet up again, in whatever language you use its flaming cold. We calf our pedigree cows in January, and this year they all calved outside, I can't beleive they do so well when they hit that sort of temp, having been nice and warm inside mum!

What's your dogs name, how does he cope with theheat?

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 09:14:27 PM »
rm185western,
Gypsy is the name of our English Bulldog. She's a very pampered in-door dog who does a lot of sleeping. She doesn't tolerate the heat for very long - so her trips outside are short and sweet.  8)

Hubby and I both grew up with family farms - and the joys of taking care of livestock in the winter could be brutal. He grew up on a pig farm - and my family had a cow farm (Hereford cattle) - which they still have. Hubby can still bale hay and help with the crops - but it's a long way from Arizona.

I can't imagine snow starting in November. I can remember all those winters of having to shovel snow and letting the car warm up - and scraping windshields. I have't shoveled anything since living here.  ;) But, we miss the changing of the seasons...that's when take a 2 hour car ride north and soak up the seasons.

When you visited Arizona, where did you stay?

Martha
12 May Flew home
16 July 07 PWB
31 July 07 FWB
110 flexion; 1 extension

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 10:09:22 PM »
Hi Martha,
 Gypsy is a great name for a dog, we have 3 dogs, Nemo the Doberman, Muttley a mid size cross breed and Badger my beautiful baby Jack Russel. Nemo and Muttley were both rescued of off death row in the UK, Muttley was wandering the streets ina big city, and Nemo had been tied up in a back yard for the first year of his life, they both travelled over here with us. Badger came to us at 6 weeks old for my birthday last August, the first puppy we had had in years. The imports cant believe the joy of living out here with all this space, and so many things to hunt and chase. They are spoilt indoor dogs during the winter, poor old Nemo has no coat to keep him warm, so has to wear a jacket when it gets real cold, now summer is here they are out most of the time.

I like Hereford cattle, at the moment we are discussing which way to take our herd, we have 25 pedigree black Angus, and it's so boring at calving time, nothing but black calves. We also have 75 mixed ones, and at least you get some variety in what turns up, he wants to move towrds all blacks, but I'm not so keen.

When we came through Arizona, we came in from New Mexico, then through Holbrook and Fagstaff, down through Phoenix, down to Tuscon then out through Yuma, we saw a lot, but didn't stay long anywhere. When Jim goes travelling he likes to travel, so we have done several visits to the states, from the UK, and it was a marathon Drive on everyone. Now we live like 2 hours north of the border, I can't get him to go south at all, John and I did manage a couple of days in North Dakota last year, on the excuse that we needed to get some Ivomectin, which is like a quarter of the price that it is up here.

Next week we are off for our first vacation since we arrived, I'm a bit worried as travelling in the car is uncomfortable at the moment, but I'm hoping my cryo cuff will be here before we go and I can ice on the go if needed ;D |I've booked us in for 2 nights in waterton National Park, which is just north of Glacier National Park, so I'm hoping that we may come back through Montana, in a few easy stages.

Offline lost77

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2007, 10:40:32 PM »

Hi all

Amanda, I seem to possess the knack of putting the kiss of death on threads as well, so apologiesi if I kill this one!   :-\

I'm 29 ...and 3/4  ::)  I live in West Sussex in the UK, no kids or husband but a long suffering boyfriend and 3 beautiful cats called Meg, Bella and Louis.  Bella and Louis are brother and sister and are coming up for their first birthday, bless em.

I injured my knee skiing and have had what feels like a long and tedious rehab.  Seeing my OS next week and am a bit nervous about what he is going to say about what comes next.  Have PT in the morning so am going to quizz him (again!) about he thinks...

Well, I guess that's about it...

Keep up with the PT as it does get better s..l..o..w..l..y

Debs

28/02/07 - ACL rupture from skiing accident
19/04/07 - Arthroscopy - bust ACL removed
24/04/08 - ACLr

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2007, 11:09:13 PM »
Hi debs, a cat person, pleased to meet you, I've been owned by a few cats in the past, now I stick to dogs. What sort of cats are they? Where were you skiing when you injured your knee, not i'n West Sussex I guess. Our son John is amazed being over here, he had done dry slope a couple of times in the UK, but now he has the real thing. 30 mins drive from us are the nearest slopes, but he reckons he's outgrown them already, 2 hours drive takes you to the nearest ski resort, but that is also quite small. He was totally spoiled when some neighbours of ours took him to their time share in the Rockes, one very long days drive from here, and he saw some real mountain skiing, he is now totally hooked, and he's wishing the summer away so he can start again.

Good luck with the OS next week, how good are things now in terms of weight bearing amd movement? Whats your nearest town, my Mum still lives in Eastbourne in East Sussex, so we've drven through a few times, on the way from our old place in Westbury Wilts, on the way to see her.

support