Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: This is me  (Read 10386 times)

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • Much to young to feel this dam old, Garth Brooks
Re: This is me
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2007, 06:03:28 PM »
Hi Sharla, glad to hear from you, glad it went well, buy sympathise with the swelling, must be horrble when it's trapped under a cast, how long will you be in it?  I know how you feel about the sytem eating your post, it's happened to me a couple of times now, and it makes you so mad GRRRRRRRRRRRRR, if I'm going to put on a long post now I type it into Word first, has the benefit of a spell checker to, then cut and paste it into the board, saves the frustration levels.

Glad to hear that the furries are helping and not hindering, I'm sure that Gee thinks that he is having to share his nice new bed with you, rather than using it when you don't need it. I was quite sore yesterday evening so set up the mountain of pillows on the end of the couch ready for laying there with my leg elevated, I went to the kitchen to fill the cryo cuff with ice and when I came back Badger had taken up residence and was quite insistent that I must of put the pillows out for him, in the end we agreed to share ;D

Take it easy hope that your recovery goes to plan.

Helena, if I could send you some hot weather I would, I'm just not used to summer being hot dry and sunny, we didn't get much of that in the UK, it's forecast to be 36 C this afternoon here, and with the humidex will feel like 45C, that's hot ;D
6th Dec 2007 arthoscropy, major debridement and meniscus trimmed
Jan 08 2008 Arthritis grade 2/3 told to wait until TKR needed.
August 2010 Left knee arthroscopy

Offline agilecorgi

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2007, 05:49:04 AM »
Denny,

Hopefully the cast comes off tomorrow, and then I'm sure they have some sort of other torture device planned for me.  Probably not a cool looking fitted brace, knowing my luck, but some sort of horrid imobilizer.  At least I will have some sort of acess to the BACK of my knee which itches like a son-of-a-gun.  Not even any room to slip something down there for itching purposes - it's swolen up like a Hormel sausage.

I just love the part of the country you are living in - most all of Canada is so beautiful.  I really hated that my parents drug me all over the place when I was young, but I sure appreciate all the traveling we did now that I'm older.  I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.  I've been to all 50 states and almost all the Canadian provinces, although I've not yet been overseas, but my husband has.  Someday........  Hard to find care for all the critters though!

If you love cowboys and rodeo, you'd like the hobby I've recently taken up.  I am an avid photographer and a friend of mine raises bucking bulls.  I have been going with her when they take the bulls to a local joint for some bucking contests and then I take photos.  I eat a lot of dirt, but it is tons of fun.  Here is a link to some of the pics on the web: http://picasaweb.google.com/corgijump/BuckingBullsBoone61607  A challenge because it's indoors, in what is for the most part a bar, so the lighting is a very poor.    They have to be very close for the flash to be of any help - and boy does it tick them off.  Makes em buck better!
Here is a link to some of my favorite dog shots: http://picasaweb.google.com/corgijump/FavoriteDogShots  Since I am on the ground/my knees most of the time to shoot both the bulls and the dogs I can't wait to be mobile again to get back to it.  Looking for other subject matter in the mean time.

Shipped my most competitve dog "Kobi"  off to agility practice with a friend last night.  Boy was that one happy dog!  I think she thought she was stuck with "amazing turtle woman" for a handler.  As soon as she saw her agilty leash and the friend who came to pick her up she gave a loud "Woooooooooooo!" and went running for the front door.  She, apparently does not need me, which is good because it may be a LONG time before I am up to doing any running!
Take care,

Sharla
arthoscopy/chondroplasty of Rt. knee at ages 12, 14, 16
20+ more yrs. of chronic knee pain
Chondroplasty and Rt. Fulkerson TTT 7/25/07

Offline VacationKneeInjury

• Regular Poster
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2007, 06:14:43 AM »
Denny, welcome back from the mountains! It sounds like you all had a wonderful time.

The weather here is also miserable. We are now in the 'monsoon' season, as they call it here in the desert. It's definitely not like the monsoons you hear about in India - but it is considered our rainy season (2-6 inches from mid July to the end of August predicted). We aren't use to the humidity here in the desert - so we all feel miserable. This will be my first 'monsoon' with the new hardware in my leg. I can now predict rainfall or a change in barometric pressure...all which is a new skill since the injury.  8)

Sharla, where are you with all those cowboys and rodeos? I'm also a cowboy fan...you can take this girl out of Texas but you can't take the Texas out of the girl!

Martha
3 May 2007 TPF, fractured ankle & detached ACL while on vacation on Kauai
7 May '07 Surgery 5 screws/3 plates
12 May Flew home
11 June Out Pt Physical Therapy
16 July 07 PWB
31 July 07 FWB
27 Aug 07 Back to work w/ crutches
110 flexion; 1 extension

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2007, 06:26:45 AM »
I hope the cast is off by the time you read this, and even if you have a very unsexy imobilizer, at least you will be able to scratch that itch, how long are you cgoing to have to have, cast, immobilizer and brace combinations going on?

Yeah, Canada is beautiful, the prairies are a bit 'plain' for some people, but I love the wide open spaces. We actuallly haven't seen to much of Canada since we moved here, to busy tryiing to get the farm up and running, and if you think it's bad trying to get pet sitters, how about getting sitters for 100 cows and their calves? It's not to bad at the moment because they are out at pasture, but that's when we are busy with field work. It's not until you live here to, that you truly appreciate how big Canada is, it takes a while to drive anywhere ;D But we will get to see more of it in the future I'm sure. I really would like to finish my ambition to do what you have done and visit all 50 states, only have 6 mainland ones to do, then Alaska and hawaii.

I checked out the the bull photos, please tell me that your not in the ring when you take them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It looks like you are right on top of the actio, and there are some great shots in there, but I can see what you mean about the lighting. Our son John took some good indoor shats last year, and really wants to get to some outdoor events to try and catch some in natural light.

I'm glad Kobi enjoyed her workout, I'm sure she would of enjoyed it more if you had been there, but he ho dogs are fickle. My little fella, Badger, who has been girks best friend in this house, has suddenly discovered that Jim has air con in the tractor, so rather than stay home and keep me company, he has been off hay making for the last few days.....the little rat.

Offline agilecorgi

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2007, 05:50:22 AM »
Yep, cast is off.  Skin was actually blistered it was so swollen!  :o  I do have an imobilizer, but do not have to wear it all the time and can begin getting some movement back, although the degree of motion I have now is very small.  He said I can go without it walking even as long as I promise not to put any weight on it without both crutches sharing the weight.

No, Im not actually in the ring with the bulls, but have my lens wedged up against a support pole (I-Beam) that one of the cattle panels is attached to.  I figured that was the most structurally safe place to be if you were going to be right on top of the ring. 

Bad news is that back gave out after my appointment and now I am suffering from a great amount of sciatic pain on surgery side.  Runs all the way from my toes to my lower back.  I have a previous history of a herniated disc and I'm not sure how this will all play out with my knee recovery.  Not a good combination, but I can't belive it's that uncommon.  I have been doing such a good job of staying positive, but this really does set me back a great deal.  Did get some mucscle relaxants from GP and they changed my pain control to help with the back too.  Feel some better today.

On a more positive note - our grocery just bought a new electric scooter with a big basket on the front.  It even has a leg rest built in that my ankle fits into since I can't bend my leg!  Watch out shoppers, here she comes!

Phew, I'd give up A/C for not making hay any time - thats HARD WORK!  Smart dog though.

Sharla
arthoscopy/chondroplasty of Rt. knee at ages 12, 14, 16
20+ more yrs. of chronic knee pain
Chondroplasty and Rt. Fulkerson TTT 7/25/07

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2007, 01:49:00 AM »
That sounds horrible, blistered skin, do they give you anything for that, or do you jsut have to wait and let the exposure to air sort it out. Be careful rehabbing it, keep those crutches working.

What a bummer having the back go as well, I so know how that one feels. I went to my doc this week to get my knee checked out, it's got some new things going on, I mentioned that my back was complaining, hoping really that he would get me bumped up the order to see the OS, instaed he sent me for an x-ray on my back. The radioligist and I agreed that it all lokks pretty good, but will have to wait for it to be read properly I suppose. I'm not expecting them to find anything major, every back x-ray I've ever had has been clear, it wasn't until I eventually had an MRI that we found the problems. ANyway, touch wood, have been free of any major back issues for nearly 3 years now, so getting a bit paranoid about it starting up again now. (Also still trying to figure out how to properly put the dishes away when can't bend knee or back!)

I'm glad to hear that you aren't as close to the action as it looks in the pics, but it's great the way that they make you feel that you are in the midst of it.

That electric scooter sounds like fun, I hired one to go to our big summer agricultural show this year, I knew I coiuldn't walk round all day, it was good fun, but could of definatley done with a place to stick my leg out, I had to alternate sitting with it bent, and hanging it over the front fender ;D Hay making isn't such hard work now, everything is carried out from the confort and coolness of air conditioned tractors, we only make big bales, so even loading and hauling are done by tractor and trailer. Farming doesn't keep you fit like it used to, it's a good job, because I'm going to have to drag this knee out in the next week or 2, harvest is nearly on us, and I can't see anyway that I'm going to be able to not be out there.

Offline stickshifty

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2007, 12:37:15 AM »
I feel like I haven't properly introduced myself.

Hello y'all, I'm Laura! I'm 17 and just started my senior year of high school. Until 176 more days until I graduate!!!

Music is my life. My mom played horn professionally and she was playing while she was pregnant with me so I got more Rimsky-Korsakoff than Mozart, but for the most part I think I don't that affected me too much lol. So I've played violin since I the wee age of five. I picked up horn the summer of my 6th grade year (around 10/11 years old). I've listened to it my whole life so it was really easy to pick up. And since then, I've made my All-West orchestra and band a total of 10 times with 2 instruments and been to All-State Orchestra twice. This summer I went to a music camp and studied under one of the best horn players in the world. So that was a five-week party beyond compare. I don't play violin "competively" anymore, mainly because I simply was frustrated with my lack of improvement over the past couple of years. It's a lot easier for me to get a high chair on horn than on violin. Mainly because of the lack of Asian horn players lol jk.  I also play mellophone in marching band. This year I have a solo and I'm so excited to compete!

I have an older sister and three adorable kitties! I have two Siamese mixes (Shoogie Woogums and Lily) and a really fat ex-feral cat that adopted us (she loves tummy rubs though... she's so weird). I used to ride and the horse love of my life is an ex-Grand Prix jumper show named Secret Weapon ("James"). He can jump fences as high as me, and I'm a giantress at 5'9".

To me, a rainy day is best spent with a good book and a cup of chai tea. Or painting. I love to draw/paint horses. They're so beautiful and graceful and amazing...

I'm over in the South of States and currently not enjoying the heat + humidity wave we're having.

For some odd reason, I like to drive on the highway. Maybe because it's fast... not sure. But my car is cute and I like to drive it.

I really don't want to go on about my knees simply because I'm trying forget about them right now. And I'm sure most of y'all know the stories by now so I won't bore you. So that for the most part is me.  :)

//| Laura |\\

7.22.2004: horseback riding accident :(
5.9.2008: scope + plica removal on left knee.
12.16.2008: de-plica-tize my right knee.
3.14.2011: lateral release + medial plication on left knee.

It's great to be a Tennessee Vol!!!!

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2007, 06:57:43 AM »
Hi Laura, That's a cool looking car, I have zero knowledge of cars, what kind is it?

Offline stickshifty

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2007, 09:48:35 PM »
It's a 2000 Toyota Celica GT. Not a lot of horses in it, but it still goes "vroom vroom" so it's all good.

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2007, 01:16:50 AM »
hey Laura, horse power in a car isn't everything, as long as it makes a good sound, and looks cool ;D We live miles out on the gravel, so have to use a 4 wheel drive to get around, so have an old truck, and this year added an SUV. Forgot to say James looks great, is he yours or do you just ride him?

Thought I would post some pics of my dogs, and my Fjord mares.

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2007, 01:19:08 AM »
Well got the mares last time, now I've figured out how to get the boys as well

Offline stickshifty

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2007, 02:54:50 AM »
Aww I <33333 your fjords!!!! They're so adorable!!! I love fjord's manes. They have got to be the coolest manes in the entire world. I'm so jealous. Even if they are too short for me.

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2007, 04:07:48 AM »
Well, you know I think that your not to tall for them. I knew a 6 foot chap in the UK who rode a Fjord, and at 5' 9" I intend to ride mine. The Fjords are are really big horses, they just have short legs ;D ;D I don't think that they would work to well in the jumping ring, but they look good as a weight carrying cattle horse.

Here are pictures of the yearlings, both bred from a black Quarter horse stud. The bay filly was my favourite, and I think she maybe the better horse, but the colt has been a joy to work with this year. I haven't done to much with them, I'm frightened of the combination of bum knee and young horses, but have halter broken, and lunged Max a little. We are just keeping fingers crossed that he keeps growing :)