Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: This is me  (Read 10574 times)

Offline bungleg

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • my tpf hardware
Re: This is me
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2007, 04:09:29 AM »
Hi Martha,when I came out of hospital I had a pivot brace on and my knee was stuck at about 45 degs my brace was set to pivot only 5 degs so whilst brace was on i did not work on rom only on getting my leg straight so i sat in front of the tv on the floor with telephone books on my knee (yes it was painful) until eventually my leg became straight ,I also did hydro and started out doing squats in the hydro pool and putting the leg up against the wall in the pool and bending it, using my body as weight to push against it ,also eventually i was able to get onto an ex-bike and i found this to be painful but helps to increase flex in the knee more.also leg press in the gym,lots of strenghthening excercises, a wobble board to help regain balance,but it was a slow tedious process a good 12 months. its now been 20 months and my rom is at 120 but is slow increasing , I did a lot of damage as i shattered mine, and the swelling did not go down for a long time just ubove the knee. It stayed swollen for a good 12 months and the side of the tib plat that was damaged still gets quite warm and aches most of the time,I prety much have learnt to just ignore the pain without taking pain killers, sometimes if it is anoying me at night i will take a paracetamol to help me sleep but try to stay away from drugs.I still can only sleep on my right side only, and I have found that the hardest part has been trying to walk without limping as this has caused back probs and the knee giving way ,also I find i can only walk for about 1/2 an hour before i have to sit down,and if i stand still usually after about five minutes it starts to ache,i try to avoid stairs,cant run or do much else other than walk.but thats better than nothing.os and gp have told me that eventually i will have to have a tkr
rick 
30/08/05 tpf, plate 8 screws and bone graft, pivot brace 5degs movment, 12weeks nwb, pt, leg stuck at 45deg
30/11/05 got leg straight phone books came in handy,rom 60degs,hydro,pt, start wb increase 10kg per week
01/03/06 full wb rom 95
may 06 rom 110
nov 06 screws + plate removed arthroscopy

Offline bungleg

• Regular Poster
  • my tpf hardware
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2007, 04:52:41 AM »
ct of my tib plat
30/08/05 tpf, plate 8 screws and bone graft, pivot brace 5degs movment, 12weeks nwb, pt, leg stuck at 45deg
30/11/05 got leg straight phone books came in handy,rom 60degs,hydro,pt, start wb increase 10kg per week
01/03/06 full wb rom 95
may 06 rom 110
nov 06 screws + plate removed arthroscopy

Offline VacationKneeInjury

• Regular Poster
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2007, 07:26:20 AM »
Thanks Rick! I was hoping the recovery process would be quicker - but I guess not. I can't wait to get in the pool - and I should be able to do that in the next couple of weeks. My PT says that I will be able to gain lots of muscle tone and strengthening while in the pool Thank goodness I have until November to use the pool then it cools off enough that getting into the pool is a bit too chilly. Take care, Martha
3 May 2007 TPF, fractured ankle & detached ACL while on vacation on Kauai
7 May '07 Surgery 5 screws/3 plates
12 May Flew home
11 June Out Pt Physical Therapy
16 July 07 PWB
31 July 07 FWB
27 Aug 07 Back to work w/ crutches
110 flexion; 1 extension

• Regular Poster
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2007, 07:33:18 AM »
rm185western,
Isn't San Antonio great? I love the river walk! My husband did his basic traning there with the Air Force (as everyone who joins the Air Force goes there for basic training) and hated it. Then again, he was there in August (way back in the late 80's) and it rained everyday - and the temp was in the 90s with 100% humidity. I guess it is all about perspective. I would love to see the SA rodeo - I love rodeos - or maybe its all the cowboys.  ;) I'm a sucker for men in hats and boots! My sister lives north of Dallas and I always love to go and visit...anything to get back to Texas! Martha
12 May Flew home
16 July 07 PWB
31 July 07 FWB
110 flexion; 1 extension

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • Much to young to feel this dam old, Garth Brooks
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2007, 05:51:46 PM »
Martha, I think we're soul mates, I love rodeos, and cowboys. There are few men around who don't look better in boots and hat. I remeber being bitterly dissapointed the first time I saw Garth Brooks with no hat on. Most of the places that we have visited in the US, have been off season, we've taken so many cheap deals, two for the price of ones, etc. which is how we have managed to see so much. The joy is that most times there are not many other people about, but the downside is many places are closed or on reduced service.

The one high season trip we did was when our eldest was on a years work experience in Ohio, so we came over and enjoyed the 4th July, which was great. We also dragged him off on a round trip so he actually got to see something while he was there.

I'm still trying to convince my husband that we need a pool, now we have a good excuse, hydro therapy would be great for me, but it's not working. I can see his point in a way, by November it would be solid enough to skate on, rather than just to chilly to swim in. He has visions of an outdoor hot tub, which would also be nice, but I suppose we have to get a couple of good harvests under the belt before we can really afford such things.

Well have a good week everyione, be nice to your knees, I'm off to the mountains, I'll catch you when we get back

Denny
6th Dec 2007 arthoscropy, major debridement and meniscus trimmed
Jan 08 2008 Arthritis grade 2/3 told to wait until TKR needed.
August 2010 Left knee arthroscopy

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2007, 06:06:47 PM »
G'Day all!

Time to introduce myself here? Guess I can give it a go  ;) I'll do it a bit "light" version with pics

I am Helena and I am 30 years young  ;D. I live in Belgium in a little city famous for it's Mattentaarten and it's Manneken Pis

Mattentaart

Manneke Pis  :D he's just 'round the corner

I was born and raised in a town village nearby, had a great childhood, wasn't a good student (I did economy-languages in highschool) untill I started studying nursing in 1995. I graduated 3 years later and started working in a regional hospital. I did all wards I think, untill I ended up in the ER 3 years ago. I also got my Bachelor after Bachelor in Nursing management, and am now folowing a course in ER/ICU medicine to get another Bachelor after Bachelor degree.
I work on ER, we don't have an ambulance but we do have a MUG (Mobile Urgency Group), which is a car full of medical equipment and medication, called out on disasters, suicides, people who really need urgent medical care like people who have a brain hemorrage, Heart infarction, etc. A dr and nurse specialized in ER/ICU are on board of that MUG. We also have to drive it (which isn't always fun to slalom through the traffic!!!)

Our MUG where you can find me in very often :D

In my free time I work for a private ambulance service, we do emergencies and emergency transfers but also secundary transports. My other interests are mainly sports, I play badminton, both recreational and competetive, like 8 hrs a week. I run every other day 4K and I love cycling, do speleology from time to time (the real thing!).
I live in a 2nd floor appartment on my own, my parents live in a small village town 20km away, and I visit them very often.
My kneeproblems started YEARS ago, now it's stable and I am very happy with my TTT 5 years ago, as I can be very active again (yups) without much pain. But damage is done and I am in for further surgery in the long road  ::)

That's about it!

Helena
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline agilecorgi

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2007, 11:35:19 PM »
Hi all.  Thanks for a great fourm as I count down the days until my Fulkerson procedure in one week.  Plenty of good reading material here!  I've been surfing the archives for several weeks, but just joined the forum today.

My name is Sharla and I live on a small acreage in Kelley, Iowa.  (between Ames and DesMoines for anyone in the midwest USA)  My knee troubles began on a grade school trip when I injured my knee while descending into a cave and then hiked for another 10 miles on it after that.  I've had 3 scope procedures to clean up and repair the cartilidge but have pretty severe valgus deformity which lends to the knee re-injuring its self.  The other knee isn't great either, although I've never had surgery on it (ITs my bowling SLIDE LEG!) and if all goes well with this procedure, they can sign me up to do it too.  Time will tell.

I am a competitive bowler - that's how I met my husband, we both bowled for the college team, but my greatest passion is my dogs.  I have four Pembroke Welsh Corgis: Kobi, Kipper, Polly and Gee.  I enjoy training and competing in obedience and tracking with them, but mainly canine agility.  Kobi, my 9 year old, and I, competed in the AKC National Agility Championship competion this spring and there is a small chance I could be recovered in time to compete next year (it's not until next March) as we have her qualifying points out of the way already.  I also do breed rescue, transport and foster for Pembroke Corgis.

I have really enjoyed hearing about all your pets - I also have a cat and a small parrot.  If there are dog lovers on the list who aren't familiar with "Dogster" you should check it out.  A link to one of my dog's pages is here: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/45554

As my profession, I teach radiology to senior veterinary students and perform radiology procedures on both domestic and production (as well as some wild) animals.  I've taken x-rays of bald-eagles, giraffes, an orangutan, and a snow leopard.  Quite an interesting job, which I will miss while laid up from my surgery.  But, since I am on my feet 8-9 hours a day, I will not miss the pain I hope to be getting rid of my going through with this.

Thanks again for all the great information, and it's wonderful to meet you all!

Sharla
arthoscopy/chondroplasty of Rt. knee at ages 12, 14, 16
20+ more yrs. of chronic knee pain
Chondroplasty and Rt. Fulkerson TTT 7/25/07

• Regular Poster
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2007, 12:55:13 AM »
Sharla, I'm originally from Illinois - so welcome from this midwestern girl to this site!

Helena, what's in the mattentaart??? That looks delicious!  ;D

Denny, I hope you're having fun in the mountains! Enjoy your time away.

Take care, Martha (now PWB!! I'm so happy!! And I'm finally wearing a tennis shoe on my right foot again - the first time since May 3!!!)
12 May Flew home
16 July 07 PWB
31 July 07 FWB
110 flexion; 1 extension

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2007, 12:20:36 PM »
Helena, what's in the mattentaart??? That looks delicious!  ;D

I can't explain, you'll have to come over and just taste it!! It's indeed delicious!

x
00/06/83 L wrist #
21/08/02 L knee TTT

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2007, 08:34:43 PM »
agilecorgi! what beautiful dogs!!  ;D
i had a motorcycle accident-landed on right knee!(mar 05)
...arthroscopy - 4th feb 06.
...VMO Advancement,LR+JMedial reefing - 24th jan 07.
...28 feb 07 i fell down 14 stairs.....more pain and stress!
...now at PT working on ROM and strenghening

Offline agilecorgi

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2007, 12:24:21 AM »
agilecorgi! what beautiful dogs!!  ;D

Thank you.  They really mean the world to me.  I have thought of boarding them post-op, but I just don't think I can stand to be without them.  Fortunately we have room to pen them up away from me if it gets to be a problem and I can be with them one at a time if it's too overwhelming.  They sure are characters!

Sharla

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2007, 12:39:11 PM »
I CAN UNDERSTAND YOU FEELING THAT WAY!!
I HATE TO BE AWAY FROM MY PETS TOO!
i had a motorcycle accident-landed on right knee!(mar 05)
...arthroscopy - 4th feb 06.
...VMO Advancement,LR+JMedial reefing - 24th jan 07.
...28 feb 07 i fell down 14 stairs.....more pain and stress!
...now at PT working on ROM and strenghening

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • Much to young to feel this dam old, Garth Brooks
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2007, 11:53:16 PM »
Hi Sharla, I guess you must be post op now, hope to hear from you soon on how things are going. Make sure that your fur family don't hinder your recovery to much.

Nice to meet you Helena, it's good to hear from someone who is back to being active after surgery. Love the photos, may have to come visit and try the Mattentarrt.

Well we are back from the mountains, and we had a fantastic time, beautiful scenery, great food, lots of gentle walks. We got to see a live Grizzly and her 2 cubs, have photos to prove it, she was only about 60 yards away, I was reckoning if she came our way I may of made it to the car, it's suprising what you can do with a little incentive! Will post a photo when we get the computers round here up and running properly. The power cord for my laptop enjoyed the holiday so much that it stayed in a hotel there, so waiting for that to get back to us. My sons computer died, he's in the middle of a rebuild, but has some soft ware issues. I'm using Jims computer, but it is kind of old and hampster powered and is currently telling me that the photos are to large for me to open :D

Had some dramas while we were away, the knee complained everytime I walked to much, and the back shouted out if I sat in the car to long, so spent time every evening laying with the leg elevated with ice on knee and back. Everything is settling down again now, so all should be good. The weather here in SK is currently hot HOT HOT and sunny, hope you guys are enjoying good knee days and fine weather, any UK bound people ....................I hope that you aren't in the floods.
6th Dec 2007 arthoscropy, major debridement and meniscus trimmed
Jan 08 2008 Arthritis grade 2/3 told to wait until TKR needed.
August 2010 Left knee arthroscopy

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2007, 05:30:06 PM »

The weather here in SK is currently hot HOT HOT and sunny, hope you guys are enjoying good knee days and fine weather, any UK bound people ....................I hope that you aren't in the floods.

WELL, I am not in the UK but summer here's drowning too!!! Please send this wheather our way!!!!! It's getting depressing!... :'(

Nice to meet you Helena, it's good to hear from someone who is back to being active after surgery. Love the photos, may have to come visit and try the Mattentarrt.

I'll keep you to that!! Let me know when you're coming!

Helena

00/06/83 L wrist #
21/08/02 L knee TTT

Offline agilecorgi

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2007, 03:15:24 AM »
Hi Sharla, I guess you must be post op now, hope to hear from you soon on how things are going. Make sure that your fur family don't hinder your recovery to much.

Yes, I'm post op (5 days) and doing pretty well except for the SWELLING under this horrible cast which has no where to go.  I tried to start a post op diary and spent about 25 min to 1/2 hour of my precious recliner time composing my first entry and there was a system problem when I went to post it and the whole thing DISAPPEARED!

No, the fur kids have been behaving pretty responsibly and my two youngest dogs have been my constant companions.  Gee, the rescue we have had for just a year, is either in the bed we set up in the living room with me, or in there by himself if I'm up in the recliner.  I'm pretty sure he thinks we put it there for him and he is just happy as a clam.  Will have to put pics in my post op diary when I get around to starting that again.  Thanks for the good thoughts.

Sharla

support