Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: surgery or no surgery  (Read 1329 times)

Offline lizblin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
surgery or no surgery
« on: July 09, 2007, 06:42:08 PM »
good morning
I really need some advice from anyone who has "been there"
Here is my story - i'm a runner, 25-30 miles a week.  Towards the end of April, started having a lot of pain, tried to run thru it, couldn't, took a week off, blah blah blah...went to a sports med doc and after MRI, found I had a partial high grade tear of the medial meniscus at the posterior root.  He said it may heal, but suggested an ortho consult.  Was feeling like I was making progress at that point (still no running) so didn't, then had a really bad week and made the appt.  The ortho said that if I wasn't running by then (2 months), I won't be and surgery was the answer if I wanted to run.  So I scheduled the surgery, still unsure.  Well today, I was able to run almost a 1/2 mile on the treadmill.  Does anyone think that this is the beginning of something good or just a fluke?  I did have a little pain while running, but nothing major.  Should I still have surgery?  I was told by the surgeon's PA that I actually could wear a hole in my bone (kissing lesion) if I don't.  I don't want to have surgery if I don't have to (most of it will be out of pocket), but I've waited so long I don't want to go thru this again if I don't have the surgery and develop more problems

Any thoughts?
thanks
Liz

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: surgery or no surgery
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 06:52:20 PM »
Running is going to ruin your knees whether you have surgery or not. A torn meniscus won't heal on its own. All they do is get bigger and bigger. I walked on a tear for 17 years which resulted in arthritis and an eventual PKR. In my opinion and experience it's better to get them taken care of sooner, rather than later. Unfortunately, that wasn't an option when I tore mine in 1973.

Also, even though my meniscus was torn nearly in half there were days when I did not have any pain at all. So the absence of pain really doesn't mean much.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 06:53:47 PM »
Meniscus injuries can be tricky as you often get better in between. Though running a mile on the threadmill and still experience pain is answer enough. I doubt that this will heal. A meniscus surgery is quick done. Rehab depends on if you have meniscectomy or meniscus repair.
Have you asked about that ?
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline lizblin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 07:02:25 PM »
thanks for the quick answers!
They are going to "shave" the torn portion, which ever that one is.  He actually said I may be running 2 weeks after the surgery, but I'm not counting on that.
Liz

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 07:04:54 PM »
Raining here and not feeling for doing anything so sit here and read and answer. :)
You will do just fine. Be careful after and be sure the muscles are back to fully before starting running.
Better slow rehab then having setbacks.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.

Offline lizblin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 07:06:42 PM »
I'm trying to keep up with my work outs until the end, but I'll be on vacation next week!
Thanks for the help and sorry about the rain....I know you don't live in 'rainy Seattle"! ;)

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 07:11:25 PM »
Nah I live in Rainy Sweden... ::) ;D

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • OSCAR
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 02:48:43 PM »
Hi,

For what it's worth - my knee problems are very differnet to your own but I know that most surgeries like this are considered routine because they are performed so often. If you don't get your knee fixed now it will get worse.

I live in "rainy Birmingham, England" and I'd put money on the fact that I reckon we've had more than anyone over the past few weeks!

Take care,

Laura x
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

Offline lener

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 07:02:19 PM »
I feel we do not take very good care of our knees. If you think about all the abuse we put them through. I was a runner and did not take care of them. The younger you are the better you will heal. Find a good OS and listen to him. If you do have something done do your rehab and do not get back to running until OS says it is safe. From all I have heard and read this type of injury does not heal itself.
Good luck
Lener