Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: o.a.t.s--recovery/rehab  (Read 10219 times)

Offline martiniswiller

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: o.a.t.s--recovery/rehab
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2002, 05:34:30 AM »
MJ,
I will definitely take you up on your offer to exchange horror stories!  Since your are having your surgery 10 days before mine, it would be great to hear a little about your experience with recovery.  I am most worried about the 6 weeks non-weightbearing.  In the topic "Pain/Rehab problems", I posted a topic about how to deal without using one leg for so long.  There is some really helpful advice there from really helpful folks- you should check it out.  
Good luck, and keep in touch!
Lesley
(martiniswiller)
LR on left knee 8/01, LR & Chondroplasty on right knee 1/02.. had OATS procedure 9/26/02. Possible torn meniscus in left knee, but battling breast cancer, so knee is on hold!

Offline Ghostrider203

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Avionics Technician
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2002, 01:04:41 AM »
Iv'e Had Oates on my right knee about 4 months ago to patch up a chondrocyte implant.
I was full weight bearing after 4 weeks
and of the crutches at that time.
I was told i could expect to be running within 4 months but that hasn't happened yet !
If I can be of any further help please don't hesitate to email me !!

Ghostrider203

Offline mj/usa

• Forum Faithful
  • glad to have my knee back again
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2002, 03:37:10 PM »
Hello Ghostrider--
Your post is good to read.  My op is in a week's time and I am getting nervous about it,  I have never had major knee surgery before. Never been on crutches before either.  I am trying to think positive and your comments are a great help! Did you have to be on a cpm too?

mj
plica excision 05/01,  followed by OATS 09/02

Offline Ghostrider203

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Avionics Technician
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2002, 06:39:26 PM »
I didn't have any CPM after my Oates and was in hospital for one day only.
I arrived at 7 in the morning on tuesday and was home by 5 o'clock in the afternoon on wednesday.
I had CPM after my patella tendon graft to repair my ACL and after my Chondrocyte implant to repair my femoral chondyle.
Of all the ops I have had On my right knee this was one of the least painful.

Offline martiniswiller

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2002, 04:50:46 AM »
I just wanted to say that if anyone who is reading this post and are either scheduled for or considering the oats procedure, being 2-1/2 months out of it I would be glad to offer some insight.  Feel free to IM me.

Lesley
LR on left knee 8/01, LR & Chondroplasty on right knee 1/02.. had OATS procedure 9/26/02. Possible torn meniscus in left knee, but battling breast cancer, so knee is on hold!

Offline Jack_Mark

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2003, 11:16:02 AM »
KneeGuru, you said : "Probably eventualy the new cartilage will be grown on a scaffold in the laboratory, using the patient's own cartilage cells. "

Without holding you to anything, would you care to put a time on this happening ?

Thanks,

Jack mark

Offline mj/usa

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2003, 11:39:50 AM »
Jack--
This procedure is already in place and is called ACI or carticel.  It is for larger defects on the articular surface and involves 2 operations; one to harvest the cartilage cells and the next one about 6-8 wks later to implant them.  There are several threads about this on Kneeguru.
Hope this info helps.
MJ

Offline JessToni

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2003, 03:26:40 PM »
MJ,
I saw in one of your earlier posts that you are using a doc at the Hospital for Special Surgery...I was just curious who it is?  I am having an allograft procudure done by a doc there soon and I used another doctor there for my past surgery.  

Jess

Offline mj/usa

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2003, 08:07:02 PM »
Jess--
My os at HSS is Dr. Thomas Wickiewicz. He is fantastic in my view.  I am now 6 mos post-op from an autograft and my knee is really almost as good as new.  In fact, as far as the defect goes, it IS as good as new.  I still have a bit of pain at the site where the graft was taken, but everything else is fine.  Almost full ROM, and my quads are almost back to strength (after 2 sessions of pt) and I am very pleased.  I just got a report back from x-rays that were taken a couple of weeks ago, and the knee looks completely normal. HURRAY HURRAY!
Good luck with your allograft, when are you having it done? And just out of curiousity who is your os?  If you need any info about post-op, etc, please feel free to contact me.

MJ

Offline JessToni

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2003, 08:37:28 PM »
MJ,
Glad to hear you are doing well after the surgery.  My doctor for this surgey is Dr. Rodeo at HSS.  He was recommended to me by my last doc there who was Dr. Rose.
I am not sure when the surgery will be because they are waiting for the lab to find a graft for me.  My defect was too large to use the autograft technique so i have to go with the donor graft.  So i have been waiting since the end of nov for the surgery and praying that it will be soon.

Offline scottrayden

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2004, 08:19:51 PM »
Just wanted to give you my two cents. I'm a week out of OATS surgery and things are going well.

The pain is pretty much all gone except for the normal uncomfort with swelling. Not bad at all though. With my leg elevated it's fine but when it's down it gets tired very fast and the blood seems to rush to my foot so I try and have it elevated as much as I can.

I'm supposed to be 3 weeks non weight bearing and it's driving me nuts. Crutches are not fun. It can always be worse though right : )

I start PT tomorrow and from previous experience (tore my ACL twice in the last 5 years) PT really helps.

I'll post again when I'm about a month out to let you all know how I'm doing.

Overall though the surgery went great. I'm a very active person (love to play basketball and volleyball competitively) and think the surgery was neccisary.

Offline emilylauren

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2008, 12:13:23 AM »
Hi!

I would like to hear from those who have had the OATS procedure esp fellow females.  Any info appreciated.  I need an OATS and am looking for surgeon advice, how the procedure goes, rehab etc. Former biker/runner and hope to get back to these activities again.  Thanks.

bscottbike at yahoo.com

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2008, 01:29:46 AM »
Hi everyone,
I'm an active 51-year old and I had an OATS autograft 3 years ago to plug an osteochondral defect on the medial femoral condyle of my right knee. My OS performed the procedure as a replacement for a failed microfracture. My surgery was a success, in spite of the fact that I'd had 2 tears in the medial meniscus and quite a bit of chondromalacia. So it can be done under less than ideal conditions. I experienced good pain relief afterwards.
The rehab is long and painful, though and for the surgery to work, you really have to commit to it. I found that the pain was intense the first couple of days post-op, but it lessened considerably thereafter. It still hurt to move my leg, though and my quads shut down for several weeks. That's a pretty common reaction. Having also had a LR last year on the other knee, I'd say the pain from the OATS is definitely worse.
I was non-weightbearing for just 4 weeks, then partial weightbearing for another week. Another week full weightbearing with the crutches, then I was allowed to get down to one crutch. I think it was about another couple of weeks before I felt my balance was good enough to get off the crutches completely.
I had PT from about day 8 post-op. That's standard procedure with my OS. He feels that you recover faster and better if you're at least doing something to keep the muscles working. At first, I was only allowed to do exercises geared towards getting circulation going in the joint, such as heel slides and ankle pumps, along with patellar mobilizations. Gradually, as my quads came back, my therapist had me add in SLR's and quad sets. I had an extension lag of a few degrees, so I also had to lie on my bed on my stomach, with my legs hanging over the edge and let gravity pull my leg straight. Once the 5-inch incision down the center of my knee had fully closed, I had to do friction massage across it with my fingers, to break up adhesions. That was a real killer, but it was necessary to keep the tissue under the scar loose and to flatten it out. The real work didn't start until I was able to bear weight, when we started doing exercises to strengthen the muscles. I think I spent a total of 4 1/2 months in formal PT. I was told I'd have to baby the knee for at least a year and that's about how long it took to feel really normal again.
Terre
RK 7/04 part. m. menisc., plica resect., MF
    3/05 part. m. menisc., open OATS
    1/07 part l. menisc., MF, patellar chondroplasty
    9/08 MF
LK 11/04 & 8/06 part m. menisc.
     7/07 LR, patellar tendon debrid., part m. menisc.