Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Synvisc-Painful?  (Read 935 times)

Offline Lorricav

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Synvisc-Painful?
« on: July 08, 2007, 06:57:47 PM »
Hello,
I am 50 yrs old with bone on bone in both knees. My doctor feels double knee replacement surgery is the only option since I am in so much pain but thinks Synvisc is worth a try. He said it usually doesn't work with patients whose arthritis is so advanced but I should give it a try. Are the injections themselves very painful?
Thanks!
Lorri

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: Synvisc-Painful?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 08:08:47 PM »
I think you're wasting your time trying. When you're bone on bone the shots don't work. I had three of them. The first one hurt badly, the second one wasn't too bad and the third one was horrifying. Had it hurt that bad after the first one I would never have gone back. Especially knowing that the shots were worthless in the end. If you know you're going to need a TKR you're better off getting it done sooner rather than later. The worse your knees are before surgery, the worse the outcome will be afterwards.

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 11:44:59 PM »
The pain only last a few seconds.  From my experience The shots do not take away all pain but may get you a bit stronger and maybe put off that surgery for a few months.  Each person has there own take on the injections.  They may very well work for you but you do not know until you try them.  If you are doing something very non invasive.. before a big surgery.. Who does it really  hurt? 

Offline lener

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 04:20:17 AM »
I am 55 yrs old  female with bone on bone on both knees also. I never had the shots but tried other things for the pain and swelling. My OS felt I was too young for a TKR. He felt I should try the Fulkerson Procedure. On June 23 I had a Lateral Release,Arthroscopy and Fulkerson done on my right knee. My OS has done quit a few Fulkerson Procedurers, so I felt very good about having it done. Today is day 15 after surgery and I am feeling great. I still can not go anywhere without my crutches and a brace. TWB is not allowed for 6 to 8 weeks after surgery. If you have not talked to your OS about this surgery it sure would not hurt to ask him if you would be able to have the Fulkerson. If you want to read about the procedure the Knee Guru site has some good info.
Good Luck with what ever you decide.
Lener
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 02:58:04 PM by lener »

Offline knee-will-be-great

• Forum Faithful
  • Open-wedge HTO & ACL allograft done (YES!)
    • ACL Allograft #3 Post-Surgery Rehab/Wellness Diary
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 03:23:22 PM »
Is it bone-on-bone in both the lateral and medial compartments of the knee?  Ask your OS about this.

Has your OS ever suggested an Open-Wedge High Tibial Osteotomy ?  Read up on it.  Here is some info on HTOs from Steadman-Hawkins (well-respected orthopaedic surgeons in the USA):

http://www.steadman-hawkins.com/images/osteotomy.pdf

Another bit of HTO information is from the Illinois Sportsmedicine Centre:

http://www.ismoc.net/procedures/hto.html

I have no medial menicus in my medial compatment of my knee, but sufficient cartilage in my lateral compartment to re-align my weight-bearing using this HTO procedure.

Arm yourself with knowledge; ask your OS to explain and show you what your xrays look like. 

Take this as a first step.  Also, I found that even another 15 pounds of weight on my body did awful things (pain) to my knees.  I have currently lost 5 pounds of the weight and feel better.  If you do have any additional weight on your body, perhaps try to lose a bit.  I know that is difficult to do with knee problems, but try biking or swimming.

I found that Syn-visc did some good, but I am still uncertain as to whether it was a placebo effect or not.  I did have cortisone shots; 80 mg. of Depo-Medrol that did take away pain temporarily because (like Syn-visc) this liquid injection allows the joints to articulate more easily.  As a knee injection veteran, I have to say that the injections are not that painful.  Don't be afraid of what could be of help to you.  Really and truly, the injections are no big deal.  It's your fear of the thought of injections.

If you fear the pain of injections, I cannot imagine how you could contend with the pain of replacement knee surgery or associated rehab. at this point in time.

Realize that you have a lot of support on this Kneegeeks website - to help you contend with and face your fears in a positive, proactive manner.  Notwithstanding this, however, we Kneegeeks will also say that you have got to contend with what lies ahead.  And just like the pain of childbirth, the pain of knee surgery (and/or knee injections) will go away after a bit of healing - and time.

Cheers .......from KWBG  :)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 09:07:09 PM by knee-will-be-great »
Medial Menisectomy, 1 ACL Autograft, 3 ACL Allografts, HTO, numerous debridements, good now :)
ACL Allograft #3 Post-Surgery Rehab/Wellness Diary http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37218.0;all
ACL Reconstruction VIDEOS http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37773.0

Offline rainerng

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 05:52:49 PM »
I have completed my series of synvisc injections (3 in all). They are not painful at all. As for it's effectiveness, I found it to be mildly effective at best for my situation.
Ballroom Dancer
Jan 07 Fissure in Patella while dancing (prob due to VMO weakness)
Feb - May 07 PT
Jun 07 Injury got worse and given synvisc
1st Aug 07 Debridement surgery
8th Aug 07 PT with isometric knee exercises
13th Sept 07 PT with PRE's

Offline amy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 11:38:44 PM »
I am also bone on bone.  The orthopedist did say that the injections are most effective when you have some cartlidge left, however he felt that it was worth a try.  My only other option at this point is a TKR so I figured that I had nothing to loose by trying the injections.  I had the third injection about two weeks ago.  They were no big deal at all. I had very mild discomfort while the shot was being done and then no increased pain afterwards.  It is still too soon the tell whether or not they were helpful
6/2004 partial lateral meniscus removal and microfracture left knee
7/13/05  open lateral release, medial plication, spur removal right knee
12/06  re do proximal realignment right knee (scar tissue formed ) 5 days post op - fell and fractured elbow
08/2009 - feeling good so far work 50 hrs a week