Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Need Help With MRI Interpretation and Advice Please!  (Read 9698 times)

Offline cjrapaczmn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Need Help With MRI Interpretation and Advice Please!
« on: July 08, 2007, 05:12:51 AM »
I posted this on the general questions and thought it might be helpful to post here for MRI interpretation help.

I need some input. I am 6 months post -op lateral meniscectomy and resection of discoid meniscus. I'm still having medial pain and swelling which I had before surgery. Medial and back of knee pain was my major complaint. I was surprised to find out after surgery it was a lateral tear whe I have had 2 MRI's say lateral was normal, then after surgery my MRI of course showed I had a lateral meniscectomy.  I had a major knee infusion 2 days post op and it has been no fun recovering. I've just finished my last session of therapy for the secound time. I had another MRI done a month ago, my OS called me and said well no significant changes and sent me to therapy again. I have all my knee MRI's. I just got a copy of the one from June. Once again this is the findings:
Persistant significant degenerative intrasubstance signal posterior horn and body medial meniscus. Extensive intrasubstance signal within the medial meniscus again identified. Mild meniscus extrusion again identified. i also have chrondomalacia and a small effusion with every MRI.

On my operative report is basically says the medial meniscus was probed and intact. What I don't understand is the significance of the 3 MRI's in relation to my meniscus and my symptoms if there was nothing seen during surgery. But I have continued pain and swelling. I  need to see my OS again very soon but I don't know how to approach this. This could be all degenerative and no surgical intervention needed I don't know. I sure hope some one can give me some input.
Arthroscopic left knee partial lateral meniscectomy and resection of discoid lateral meniscus 1/30/2007
Chrodomalacia left knee

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
Re: Need Help With MRI Interpretation and Advice Please!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 09:12:20 AM »
Hi there,

When it comes to MRIs they can be very inaccurate for meniscus tears. Often if a surgeon thinks there is a tear they'd rather go in and do an arthroscope.

Good luck seeing your OS soon. :D
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline poisson

• Regular Poster
  • The "less than young" petit poisson rouge
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 02:36:35 PM »
MRI among other things basically looks at water content of tissues. Menisci degenerate with age and trauma. Your MRI seems to suggest that you have some degeneration of the interior of the meniscus - but it hasn't actually torn. See this quote from this link
Quote from: Jonathan CLuett MD
MRI reports commonly use language about "intrasubstance signal" within the meniscus. The normal meniscus has a uniform signal (appearance) on the MRI image. In some situations, an abnormal signal will be seen within the meniscus, this is the so-called "intrasubstance signal." Not all intrasubstance signals are bad, and they do not necessarily mean the meniscus is torn. If the abnormal signal is entirely within the boundaries of the meniscus, then there is unlikely to be a tear. Intrasubstance signal may represent normal aging (degeneration) of the meniscus, or increase vascularity of the meniscus (commonly seen in children and young adults). Therefore, just because a MRI report describes abnormal intrasubstance signal, you do not necessarily need surgery!

torn ACL and post horn med meniscus Dec 05 - ski accident
Bone bruise femur
Menisectomy Jan 06
Hamstring repair 03 June 06
Skied again March 18th 07 - hooray!

Offline cjrapaczmn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 05:25:39 AM »
Thank you for the replies. I assumed it must be degeneration. My MRI last November showed " Extension of the signal abnormality to the free edge. This is consistant with a nondisplaced horizontial/cleavage tear of the medial meniscus". So I guess thats why I'm confused and I ended up with a lateral partial menisectomy and discoid meniscus which did not show up on 3 MRI's.
Arthroscopic left knee partial lateral meniscectomy and resection of discoid lateral meniscus 1/30/2007
Chrodomalacia left knee

support