Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: post-op lateral Discoid partial meniscectomy and no relief from surgery  (Read 3712 times)

Offline cjrapaczmn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I need some input. I am 6 months post -op lateral meniscectomy and resection of discoid meniscus. I'm still having medial pain and swelling which I had before surgery. Medial and back of knee pain was my major complaint. I was surprised to find out after surgery it was a lateral tear whe I have had 2 MRI's say lateral was normal, then after surgery my MRI of course showed I had a lateral meniscectomy.  I had a major knee infusion 2 days post op and it has been no fun recovering. I've just finished my last session of therapy for the secound time. I had another MRI done a month ago, my OS called me and said well no significant changes and sent me to therapy again. I have all my knee MRI's. I just got a copy of the one from June. Once again this is the findings:
Persistant significant degenerative intrasubstance signal posterior horn and body medial meniscus. Extensive intrasubstance signal within the medial meniscus again identified. Mild meniscus extrusion again identified.

On my operative report is basically says the medial meniscus was probed and intact. What I don't understand is the significance of the 3 MRI's in relation to my meniscus if there was nothing seen during surgery. But I have continued pain and swelling. I  need to see my OS again very soon but I don't know how to approach this. This could be all degenerative and no surgical intervention needed I don't know. I sure hope some one can give me some input.
Thanks KR
Arthroscopic left knee partial lateral meniscectomy and resection of discoid lateral meniscus 1/30/2007
Chrodomalacia left knee

Offline cjrapaczmn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Is there any of the knowledgable knee people that can give some input regarding the medial meniscus? Is it just degeneration? I wanted to add the following my MRI last November showed " Extension of the signal abnormality to the free edge. This is consistant with a nondisplaced horizontial/cleavage tear of the medial meniscus". So I guess thats why I'm confused and I ended up with a lateral partial menisectomy and discoid meniscus which did not show up on 3 MRI's.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 05:29:03 AM by cjrapaczmn »
Arthroscopic left knee partial lateral meniscectomy and resection of discoid lateral meniscus 1/30/2007
Chrodomalacia left knee

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Nobody here can really tell you what's wrong with your knee. Arthroscopic surgery is far more accurate than an MRI however. My last one showed that my medical meniscus was intact when I actually had a small tear. Your doctor is the one that needs to answer your questions. If he's not willing to do that then you should seek a second opinion. Bring your MRIs.

Offline cjrapaczmn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Thanks for the input. I guess I'll have to go back again. It was point less to have the surgery. If anything my knee is worse. I'll see if I can get a straight answer.
Chrodomalacia left knee

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
Surgery comes with no guarantees. It will never be the same after having a menisectomy whether it's total or partial. Part of the cushion in your knee is gone. The hope is that removing the torn bits will reduce inflammation and thus pain. But it doesn't always work. People set their expectations too high most of the time. You're not likely to ever be pain free. Also, you're only six months out. Some people just take a long time to heal.

Offline cjrapaczmn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
I've had shoulder surgery and it was a breeze compared to my knee. It took time but my shoulder is great. I certainly did not put my expectations to high IMO. My OS said I could run again in 2 weeks. I laughed at him but he wasn't joking. I had no post op therapy until I finally asked 6 weeks post op because I couldn't believe the pain, swelling and lack of normal activity going on. Of course the PT could not understand why PT was not ordered and it's been a slow recovery back to my pre-op state. Maybe I'm a little angry about the "two week business" and still no improvement with all the work I've done to just get back to pre-op state. I never had crutches and had to hobble around in severe pain for months.

I appreciate the input from others that have experienced this. I don't think I was ever told that it may not help nor was I told I may always have pain. I'm still woring that knee as much as I can. The sad thing is I can hardly run anymore and I was able to run pre-op with pain and swelling but now it's almost not worth the suffering.
Chrodomalacia left knee

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
Fact is, running is just bad for knees. Anyone who develops knee problems figures out that sooner or later they will have to give it up. Your doctor is guilty of telling you that you *would* be running in two weeks. He probably based that on experience of the average patient. But not everyone is average and some have complications that can't be predicted ahead of time.

Shoulders are not knees. I've had both of mine scoped, one of them twice. I found it far worse than a knee scope. One of my shoulders still isn't right. I know I'm always going to have pain in that one, probably both. That's the way it goes.

Offline cjrapaczmn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
It's just funny how things work out. I did have pain with my shoulder surgery and yes it took aprox. 1 year before it was perfect again. I was totally prepared for the worst on my shoulder and anticipated the knee to be no problem. It was the opposite. With my knee I have the worst knee, calf, shin and thigh pain. Such pressure in the back of my knee it's like a bad tooth ache that never goes away. I would have my shoulder done over my knee any time. At least theres no weight bearing on my shoulder. The bad thing about a shoulder was I slept in a reclliner for a long time. It was pure joy went I was able to sleep in my bed again.
Chrodomalacia left knee

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
I think it's all a matter of perspective. I used to think that having a bad knee would be harder than having a bad shoulder. But now I'm not so sure. Granted, transportation is an issue with a bad leg, but once you get where you're going it's fine. Having bad shoulders makes it hard to do mundane things like wash your hair, reach for things and sleep. But I know what you mean about the toothache in your knee. Mine was that way for 30+ years. So far, having a partial knee replacement for just the lateral side of my knee has been a blessing. I have no aching whatsoever. After seven surgeries I don't expect to ever be pain free but right now I feel great. That might be something for you to look into at some point. It would end your running though.

support