Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: just back from my pain management appt.  (Read 2661 times)

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
    • My Facebook Profile
just back from my pain management appt.
« on: July 05, 2007, 06:57:58 PM »
hey guys,
just got back from my pm appt. everything went well, and i confused the doc with the pain. she gave me a prescription for something that i cant read or pronounce. she also gave me some lidocaine patches. then she ordered an MRI of my back (lumbar) thinking that it is a nerve problem in my back making the pain in my knee.

just letting yall know how it went,
hope to hear back from yall,
jak ;D
TTT/Lateral Release/Chondroplasty: May 15th, 2009
Brostrom Reconstruction: Oct 16th, 2009

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: just back from my pain management appt.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 07:08:18 PM »
Hey Jak,
Good to hear that you finally got in and are getting some help. Let us know how things go with the MRI.
Terre
RK 7/04 part. m. menisc., plica resect., MF
    3/05 part. m. menisc., open OATS
    1/07 part l. menisc., MF, patellar chondroplasty
    9/08 MF
LK 11/04 & 8/06 part m. menisc.
     7/07 LR, patellar tendon debrid., part m. menisc.

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 07:15:39 PM »
the prescription is Amitriptylin. I took it last night and it let me have a great sleep, for once in a long time. It is an antidepressant used to treat nerve pain. I couldnt tell if it actually worked though!!!

Ill get yall posted,
jak

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 07:16:43 PM »
oh yeah...
my MRI is on the 17th.  :-\
i hope that i am not claustrophobic!!  ;D  (ive never been in a tube one before)

jak

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

brianne

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 07:17:37 PM »
Jak,

Yay!  I am so glad to hear that you got a good nights sleep finally.  Hopefully you will get many more nights of good rest.

The MRI is not bad, just try not to focus on the machione or the noises it makes.  The space is small, but I didn't find it horrible.

Brianne

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 07:21:31 PM »
thanks again brianne!!!

i dont think that the MRI will be too bad of an experience!!

hoping that she is on to something,
jak ;D

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • Much to young to feel this dam old, Garth Brooks
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 08:16:18 PM »
Hi there, I had a full tube scan done when they were trying to diagnose my back problem, and I am claustrophobic ;D

It wasn't tp bad at all, they gave me a set of headphones to wear and some really great music to listen to, and the one I was in blew a constant draft of cool air over you, I just shut my eyes and pictured that I was laying on a warm beach listening to music, I'd prectised this one before I went for the scan. It helped that you are given a panic button, so if you are struggling they will stop and slide you out right away, and just having that means that it is quite easy to cope with.

The benefits far outweigh any minor worries, they found out what was wrong, and after some treatment I was finally pain free after years and years of back problems.

Good luck, I hope that they can finally sort out your issues.

6th Dec 2007 arthoscropy, major debridement and meniscus trimmed
Jan 08 2008 Arthritis grade 2/3 told to wait until TKR needed.
August 2010 Left knee arthroscopy

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 08:38:51 PM »
hey jak!!
great news - hopefully youll get a proper diagnosis soon.

dont worry AT ALL about the MRI - I fell asleep in my one a couple of weeks ago :)
Bring ear plugs - they blot out the loud noise of the machine - i thought it was kinda like being in an airplane - loud but the type of noise i could not listen to.

Just close your eyes in it - i think youd know by now if you were claustrophobic - im sure itll be fine!! rm185western is absolutely right - just having the panic button makes it much better. I think i was more scared that id have to sneeze than anything!!!

1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline bungleg

• Regular Poster
  • my tpf hardware
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 01:34:13 PM »
hi jak long time no here from ,great to see you might be getting somwhere with your probs, hope they can find some answers for you and that its not something bad, keep your chin up and keep us posted ,dont forget to pop onto chat havent seen you in there lately.
rick
best of luck kiddo
30/08/05 tpf, plate 8 screws and bone graft, pivot brace 5degs movment, 12weeks nwb, pt, leg stuck at 45deg
30/11/05 got leg straight phone books came in handy,rom 60degs,hydro,pt, start wb increase 10kg per week
01/03/06 full wb rom 95
may 06 rom 110
nov 06 screws + plate removed arthroscopy

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 08:18:47 PM »
im getting kinda nervous, but i am sure taht everything will be alright!!! i hope that after this MRI that they will know something. at my pm appt. i told her that someone recommended immobilization, and she said that we might try it if the MRI doesnt show anything. she said that the only thing after that is biofeedback and teaching me to live with the pain. I want to try anything, except acupuncture, before i have to live with the pain.

i hope that all goes well with this thing!!

jak ;D

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 09:28:54 PM »
Everything will be fine, don't worry. How come that you want to try everything but not accupuncture? Have you ever tried it? I had a few sessions on my back, my Chiropractor thought it would help, and he was able to do accupuncture as well. When he asked I was laying face down on the treatment couch, so when I said that I would give it a try, he just went ahead and did it, which was a shock as I actually hadn't realised that he meant like right now ;D Any way it didn't hurt at all, and it did relieve some of my pain, he only showed me the needles that he had used after the session, if I'd seen then before theres no way he would have got near me, but I wouldn't hesitate to have it done again if I thought it would help.

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 09:42:43 PM »
im just not a big fan of needles, especially when i know that they r going into me!! ;D

ive never done acupuncture, but i cant even stand to think about it. i hate needles.
ohh.... and i had this dream about the MRI coming up, and it was spinning me around and around and around. it was scary. hehehehe ;D

thanks everyone,
jak

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

brianne

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 09:59:41 PM »
Jak,

Accupunture needles hardly qualify as needles.  They are so fine.  I have found great relief from pain by doing accupunture in the past.

Honestly, who likes needles?  I haven't met anyone who said they liked being poked at with a needle.  Honestly, the accupunture is not bad at all, I promise.

Brianne

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 10:20:38 PM »
The question you have to ask yourself when thinking about any treatment is "is it worth it if it will help with the pain that I'm having"?
Listen to brianne, the needles for accupuncture look more like long horse hairs rather tahn needles, I promise you you would probably not feel anything, and if you did feel it it wouldn't be pain, just a feeling that something was happening there, keep your mind open on this one.

Don't have bad dreams about the MRI, it's a great diagnostic tool, not the answer for everything, but it's non invasive, doesn't hurt, and for my back came up with great results. To fix my back, I had to have two sets of injections into the spine, it didn't sound like fun, and honestly it wasn't fun, but after 20 years of fairly constant low grade pain, punctuated with regular sessions of unbelievable pain, I was ready to to do most anything for a cure. If I'm unlucky enough to have problems again, I wont leave it, I'll be knocking on someones door real quick, saying bring on the needle. A trade off, for a minute or two bad pain, to get rid of constant problems is a dam good trade.

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2007, 02:57:32 PM »
thanks for the replies.

i think that anything is worth the amount of pain that i am in. i will do anything, and if acupuncture arises, what the heck, ill try it.

thanks so much. i am leaving for the beach in about an hour.  ;D this should take my mind off the pain for a bit.

thanks again,
jak

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic