Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Metal Shavings found in the MRI of the knee  (Read 3278 times)

Offline Cinammo

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Metal Shavings found in the MRI of the knee
« on: July 02, 2007, 10:12:14 PM »
They weren't there before he had his last surgery with Cole.  How the heck could they have gotten there.  I am extremely angry about this.  That is why he is not healing.  Anybody have a clue how they could have gotten there? and then what should I expect the doctor to do to remedy this?

Thanks
My 17 year old son had the OATS procedure on November 29th, 2006.  He has two previous scopes on the right knee and one on the left.

Offline brattkids

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • here's to a pain free tomorrow!!! Savvy
Re: Metal Shavings found in the MRI of the knee
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 11:19:05 PM »
WOW what a discovery and how lucky there were no problems with the MRI being there was metal in the knee.

Keep me updated on the progress

Paulette
4/04 microfracture
5/04 debris removal
8/04 OATS with synthetic plugs
11/04 OATS traditional autograft medial femoral chondyle
05/05 debris removal and OATS assessment
6/05 Cadaver Allograft OATS lateral femoral chondyle
9/05 OATS redone could not save allograft plug
12/2006 2007 and 2008 scop

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 11:31:11 PM »
Okay, I'm not sure who he is or who Cole is or what kind of surgery was done. But don't be so quick to jump to conclusions. There could very well be a logical explanation. Metal is often left in knees, I have lots of it. None of it causes any problems. How did the radiologist come to the conclusion that there were metal shavings? I've seen my MRI with a screw in there and all it shows is a black blotch.

That being said, if there are indeed metal shavings the only remedy is to surgically remove them. When I had my PKR a piece of the jig broke off in my knee. Makes for good conversation when I show people my x-ray but it hasn't caused any problems.

Offline Cinammo

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 12:43:18 AM »
This is what Dr. Cole stated in an email today

Metal shavings are a result of using instrumentation in the knee…the MRI picks them up inadvertently.  Not generally a cause of any symptoms at all.  If he is still having problems, then he needs to come in w MRI to discuss please

Our local OS stated he needed to be seen by Dr. Cole because these may be hindering his healing.

I need to learn more about this.

My son had an autograft of the knee in Nov. 2006.  Dr. Cole is a leading Cartilage Restoration surgeon in Chicago.

I don't know how the radiologist came to the conclusion but he did.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 12:46:41 AM by Cinammo »
My 17 year old son had the OATS procedure on November 29th, 2006.  He has two previous scopes on the right knee and one on the left.